General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Triathelete: First time buying road bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-21 2:19 PM

Subject: Beginner Triathelete: First time buying road bike

Hi, I am in the process of buying a road bike. I have been looking around alot and surfed the net quiet alot trying to find the ideal one to fit my pocket and offcourse value for money. I''ve received some advice as to what to go for and ended up with 4 basic options in 3 brands. Merida 901, Merida HFS 904-COM, Silverback Monterey and Scott Speedster S40. First off, there is a reason why I am looking at 2 price classes and that is only because I'm not sure if it will be worth forking out the extra buck for the more expensive 904 or Monterey with 105 group sets etc.
I am a beginner and haven't owned a road bike since Gr.1, yet since I only own an entry level mountain bike I completed my first (cross) triathlon this Sunday. I enjoyed it very much and I'm training hard to enjoy my next even more. I have a fairly competitive streak in me and can't help but try and go for the best. I'm still on sprint level at the moment but am hoping to work my way up to doing my first Ironman next year. If someone could point me in a general direction opinion wise I will greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

2010-01-21 2:43 PM
in reply to: #2627039

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Beginner Triathelete: First time buying road bike
You'll get the same answer over and again on this site.

1.) Get a FIT. This is going to cost about $100-$200. If you are at a TREK/Specialized dealer, don't just take their word that "This trek here will fit you for sure." It may benefit you to tell the fitter you are not buying a bike that day, that you just want your measurements / fit dimensions. If somebody tells you something will fit based on your "standover," walk out.

2.) Do some reasearch, find out what bikes will work for your body. Just  because a bike says it's a "54" doesn't mean the same thing universally.

3.) Either buy a new bike that fits, or scour the forums / ebay for a used one. (Some deals to be had right now for sure)

If you are going to be taking tri/cycling seriously, there is no reason NOT to buy 105. It is cheap and race quality that you will not have to upgrade. Going lower and you will end up spending more later.

The key is RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH. Do not let money burn a hole in your pocket and buy something you won't be happy with in 6 months. Ask away, that's what we're here for.

Welcome to BT by the way.
2010-01-21 10:05 PM
in reply to: #2627126

Subject: RE: Beginner Triathelete: First time buying road bike

Thank you very much for your advice. It makes sense what you are saying and I agree that getting the right thing is priority. So I will just have to get my measurements taken without the intention to get a bike that day, that way I will have my measurements taken correctly? To find honesty now days! It's good to know there are people who are!
This site is amazing, there should be more people like you guys :-)  

Edited by gibsonrsa 2010-01-21 10:06 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Triathelete: First time buying road bike Rss Feed