General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to Road Biking...Hand Pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-21 8:39 PM

Subject: New to Road Biking...Hand Pain

New to riding a road bike and I am having pain in my hands from the handlebars.  Especially along the heal portion of my palm and area between thumb and index finger.  I grabbed some gloves with gel padding and they have helped a bit but I'm wondering if this is something that will go away as my mileage increases?

2010-01-21 9:49 PM
in reply to: #2627893

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: New to Road Biking...Hand Pain
TecGuy - 2010-01-21 10:39 PM

New to riding a road bike and I am having pain in my hands from the handlebars.  Especially along the heal portion of my palm and area between thumb and index finger.  I grabbed some gloves with gel padding and they have helped a bit but I'm wondering if this is something that will go away as my mileage increases?

Probably not. I suspect you are getting something known as cyclist's palsy or handlebar palsy, which is quite common with cyclists. info here...palmpalsy

There are several areas to look at, and indeed more thickly padded gloves should help, but that may be masking an issue of poor bike fitment. Give the ideas in the article a go and see if a change in bike position helps.
Good luck!
     Blair
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to Road Biking...Hand Pain Rss Feed