General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First Triathlon - Any suggestions Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-26 10:46 PM

Subject: First Triathlon - Any suggestions
Hi my name is Trevor and im going to be running my first Triathlon this summer in late June.  I'm a freshman as Bemidji State University and was in cross country for six years during high school and middle school.  I ordered the "Triathlete's Training Bible" by Joe Friel to help we try to figure how how to train for a triathlon.  If anyone has got any good advice that would be great!

Thanks!

2010-01-26 11:55 PM
in reply to: #2636528

User image

Expert
Salem
Subject: RE: First Triathlon - Any suggestions
Hey Trevor.  Orginally from your neck of the woods; South Dakota.  Actually played Bemidji State in Football when I played for Northern State University in Aberdeen, South Dakota.

First of all I'd get a workout plan that will prepare you for your first tri.  Much easier to follow a plan than try to figure it out by yourself.  Use one of the free plans on BT or sign up and get one of the other plans. 

IMO..I'd did two Tri-It Sprints instead of the full Sprint; about 400 or so yds. shorter swim.  The swim is probabaly the toughest part unless you are a swimmer.  Wearing a wetsuit is a little different than just a swimming suit or in this case tri shorts. 

If money is an issue look on line or ebay for deals on Tri Apparel.  Definitely get yourself a pair of tri-shorts.  You can use these on the bike as well when you train; if you have bike shorts to use when you train that is OK but don't expect to wear the bike shorts in the race to swim or bike in; very different from Tri-Shorts.  For a sprint you may get away with wearing Swim jammers on the bike and run.

The only other thing I can think of that is an absolute is a bike and helmet.  Road bike is preferrable, but people do use Mt. Bikes.  Other item to consider is a wetsuit depending on the temp. of the water you will be swimming in.  Triathlon Wetsuits also help with bouancy in the water.  I rented my first couple of Tri's and if you rent most of the time the cost (up to a certain  amt.) may go toward the cost of purchasing a new wetsuit or a used one from the same company.  Xterra Wetsuits has some great deals going right now.  You might try a Triathlon with a pool swim if the swim is a worry for you.  Open water swim is a totally different game.

Gear suggestions as extras some very cheap and well worth getting others depending on money: (race belt, gel [i.e. GU] for races and training, timing chip strap; Elastic shoe laces; Watch with HRM;

I suspect being a runner you probably have decent running shoes.

Use BT for information/advice and look on You Tube for Video Advice on Transitions 1 and 2; gear; swim drills and tips to help you get better at freestyle; and other great information.

Good Luck
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First Triathlon - Any suggestions Rss Feed