Reebok
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 37m 8s
Overall Rank = 552/1962
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 97/289
Pre-race routine:

Laura picked me up at a bright and early 5:00 am, which really was not too bad. We found a gas station and I got my coffee, which I really needed. We parked a few blocks from the bike transition and walked over to set up. Found our rack, set up, had enough time for bathroom break and to walk the transition area to find the swim in, bike in/out and run out. Ate toast and hard boiled egg (white only) and water before leaving the house, coffee and peanut butter chocolate chip granola bar, and had a vanilla gel 20 minutes before my swim start.
Event warmup:

Stretched a bit, and mostly watched all of the waves ahead of me start and finish. Very relaxing pre-race morning, did not get into the water at all.
Swim
  • 11m
  • 750 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was good, able to draft off of one swimmer in my group for a while. 5th length was hard, we caught the bulk of the wave ahead of us, so it was difficult to navigate through. The last length I went all out, and did pretty well. Thought my time was faster (10:30ish) but I think I looked at my watch when I came out of the water, and not when I ran up the beach and crossed the timing pad.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, maybe gone a bit harder, but I am happy with my swim.
Transition 1
  • 04m 47s
Comments:

Good transition, it was my first race with a tri suit, so no messing with putting on shorts and a shirt, so that defintely saved time. Still sort of slow with the shoes since they tie, but worth the few minutes because they are more comfortable for me.

Good T1, everything was laid out well and I felt good coming into it. Long run (about 300 yds) into T1, and I need to really get more swim/run bricks in because this part always kicks my butt. Such a bad way to lose time!
Bike
  • 46m 22s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 17.86 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt very good on my bike, much better than Galena simply because there were no hills on this course. Did not get passed as much as expected, though there were some chicks just plain old FLYING out there. I want to be them! Just reminds me of the training that I should be doing, but I am happy with my performance today. Some turns were pretty tight, some of the riders out there forgot there were others coming behind them; twice I had someone cut me off because they did not look before coming into my path. Felt very strong during this leg, and was not completely exhausted come the run. Brought a mini cliff bar, but did not eat it. Drank 3/4 of my water and not even half of the gatorade.

I could have pushed a bit harder on the first loop, but I was afraid of killing my legs for loop 2 and the run. I should have drank more gatorade too, at the end of the race I felt terrible for a few minutes, and I think that is why. Just need to get out and ride the bike some more, but definitely an improvement over the last race!
Transition 2
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

Coming into T2 I was not really looking forward to the run. Got the shoes changed and the race number on pretty quick. Had to go potty, so just put on the shoes and tied the laces while in the porta potty. Saved a minute anyway, so that was good. Finally a race with potties in transition! Also had an espresso hammer gel on the way out of T2.

Nothing, I had to go to the bathroom pretty bad, so well worth the minute to go.
Run
  • 31m 55s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Run course started slow. I accidentally took the hammer gel instead of the gu, which was bad because I never used hammer gel (bought it at the expo the day before). I thought 'They are all the same, no biggie' but I had a weird cramp for mile 1, as I felt it go through my stomach. After I had some water at mile 1, I was okay. Sort of shuffled along for most of the run, really had me wishing I had listened to Laura and ran some more. But overall a good run, passed some people, many passed me, so I lost the bit of a lead I had on several people in my age group. Coming into the park there is still a mile left, and it felt like an eternity. Tried to finish strong, I had a good kick for about 1/2 mile, but then just fizzled. The crowds and fans were great, they were everywhere! Lots of cheering for the last 1/2 mile, I loved it. The only walking I did was before mile 1 for :30 seconds, and that was because of the weird gel in my stomach. Pretty proud that I didn't walk any more than that.

Same as Galena with the bike, I NEED TO TRAIN MORE! I need to get out and run and put the miles in if I expect to finish strong on this last leg. Also need to practice some bricks, will have to put one or two on my training plan before Danskin.
Post race
Warm down:

After finishing Laura was there, it was great to see her. Grabbed a gatorade and banana, and then went to find a place to sit down. All I wanted to do was sit in the shade to cool down. After sitting a while, we went and walked around, found some friends to talk to and enjoyed the festivities. They had a tent to get stretched out, so got the old legs stretched and that felt fabulous. Found Barb and Linda while waiting in line for the stretch, it was great they came to watch. The four of us hung out for a while, watched the announcement of the top finishers (top three consisted of 1 elite and 2 age groupers. AWESOME!). They had a raffle, Laura won a magazine subscription and I won a reebok bag and hat. Pretty cool we both won!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My lack of running training and again the strength of my legs. If I could get into a consistent running and strength training program, it would help the bike and run leg so much.

Event comments:

I love this race, I really like the course and the entire event, it is great to be a part of such a large all women event. I would do this race again and again, I hope to be a part of it in the coming years. Overall I am really happy with the race, because I felt good through the entire thing. Do wish my times were a bit better, but I really had fun and feel like I put forth great effort.

Last updated: 2005-05-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:00 | 750 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/289
Overall: 0/1962
Performance:
Suit: Team Javlin Tri Suit
Course: Course was a 'beach' that is half pool half beach. Six lanes were set up, with bouys marking the turn at the deep end and lifeguard stands marking the turn at the shallow end. Up and down 6 lengths total (3 up/downs). Water was calm and warm.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:47
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:46:22 | 13.8 miles | 17.86 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Course was a two loop through Naperville that was for the most part a pretty fast course. Ran into some wind on the outbound trip of each loop, but the return had the wind at our back and some downhills. No potholes, road conditions were nice.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:55 | 03.1 miles | 10m 18s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Course was a big loop down streets and coming into the park back by Centennial Beach, past it, and into the finish area. Partially shaded and partially sun, glad the day was overcast.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-06-12 9:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Plainfield, IL
Subject: Reebok Women's Tri

2005-06-12 10:10 PM
in reply to: #173542

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Reebok Women's Tri
And GREAT RACE right back atcha!! You are my swimming idol. Very, VERY nice swim time, though I know you thought it was a little faster. And for as much as you whined about the run, you pulled it in pretty well too.

2005-06-12 11:40 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Nice race! Way to kick it on the swim and push yourself on the run. Keep working it - those run times will come down in no time.
2005-06-13 11:27 AM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Nice swim!!!! WOW!!! Good work!

Sorry we didn't get to meet yesterday, Congratulations on winning some good stuff!!

Whizzzzzzzz

2005-08-29 3:57 PM

User image

You did great in this early season tri.  I will be doing Reebok in two weeks and cannot wait, your race report made me even MORE excited...how am I ever going to sleep!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Reebok Women's Tri Rss Feed