General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kind of Embarrassing Question - Aero Position Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-04-14 8:27 PM
in reply to: #2638891

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Kind of Embarrassing Question - Aero Position
me too, have to have less aggressive position to avoid the belly bump. Legs splay out a bit also. 

you my dear are soooo not alone!!

2010-04-17 8:56 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
I had a bike fit this week and I'm almost considering NOT buying that shiny Felt B16 just because I think i'm too fat.  I don't have a huge gut- just a little pudge and still I felt like the guys at the bike store were just rolling their eyes at me.  It was sort of hard to breathe and I found myself popping my elbows up off the pads due to my extra fluff.  I can ride in my dropdowns on my road bike just fine but the areo bars....maybe I'm just not use to them yet?

Does anyone else feel like they could crush a carbon fiber bike with their thighs?  It feels like I'm riding with a cloud between my knees. :/
2010-04-18 5:09 AM
in reply to: #2798924

Veteran
Townsville, Australia
k_watzek - 2010-04-18 1:56 PM

Does anyone else feel like they could crush a carbon fiber bike with their thighs?  It feels like I'm riding with a cloud between my knees. :/

yes, carbon scares the hell out of me.. I keep thinking it will just all crumple beneath me.. which is silly.. it is strong stuff. A good friend of mine just made the Australian Tri Team and he just showed me his new carbon disc wheel.. it felt like I was picking up a Christmas decoration made of paper or something.. unbelievable stuff.

you know you want the B16.. Cool just go for it ! 
2010-04-18 9:43 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Wow, I haven't ridden aero since dropping out of Athena qualification ... now I'm excited to try again. Hope I'm not disappointed!

However, when I was bigger, my knees MERCILESSLY banged my stomach. I felt like I was LIFTING my gut with my knees--it was really uncomfortable. However, never had a breathing problem ...

Generally I rode very twisty turny tricky hilly technical courses where there wasn't any opportunity to be in aero anyway, so that kinda took care of that.
2010-04-18 12:34 PM

k_watzek - 2010-04-17 8:56 PM I had a bike fit this week and I'm almost considering NOT buying that shiny Felt B16 just because I think i'm too fat.  I don't have a huge gut- just a little pudge and still I felt like the guys at the bike store were just rolling their eyes at me.  It was sort of hard to breathe and I found myself popping my elbows up off the pads due to my extra fluff.  I can ride in my dropdowns on my road bike just fine but the areo bars....maybe I'm just not use to them yet?

Im 268lbs and ride a full carbon bike. What a difference from an alum bike. Only concerns I have are the wheels on rough roads. Screw it though...I could care less.

I put a huge workout on the BB when I get up and climb. I do have some pretty strong legs.

To deal with the gut and back issues I have it in a very relaxed geometry for a bike thats pretty relaxed anyways.

Ask them if they can raise the bars some to alleviate some of the discomfort, then when the weight comes off lower it some more. 
2010-04-18 3:37 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
k_watzek - 2010-04-17 9:56 PM I had a bike fit this week and I'm almost considering NOT buying that shiny Felt B16 just because I think i'm too fat.  I don't have a huge gut- just a little pudge and still I felt like the guys at the bike store were just rolling their eyes at me.  It was sort of hard to breathe and I found myself popping my elbows up off the pads due to my extra fluff.  I can ride in my dropdowns on my road bike just fine but the areo bars....maybe I'm just not use to them yet?

2 things here...find a new bike store, you should be made to fell like they want you to have the bike, not rolling eyes feeling.  Second, get a fit that is not super aggressive, just cause it is a bike with aerobars does not mean that you have to be slammed like some 30-34yo pro Triathlete with a 28 inch waist. I ride a very un-agressive position and i think i get along pretty well for a 240lb male in Tri's.

Oh and i love your new avatar pic!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kind of Embarrassing Question - Aero Position Rss Feed  

of 2