General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to eat when working shift work???? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-28 4:32 PM

User image

Regular
South Australia
Subject: What to eat when working shift work????
Hi, i'm a shift worker that works 2 twelve hour day's followed by 2 twelve hour night shift's. I then have 4 days off which is good for training. I ride my bike to work every day and on the night shifts when i finish i like to go to the pool to swim laps. This is usually around 6:30 am. My question is what is the best type of food to eat and what time should i eat it as i usually go straight home to sleep afterwards? I work in a hot enviroment and am supplied as much bottled water as i want so i drink plenty but still try to limit my intake after 3am or i'm up going to the toilet all day.

Cheers

Dan.

2010-02-03 4:35 PM
in reply to: #2641017

User image

Sherwood Park, Ab
Subject: RE: What to eat when working shift work????
Champ,

I'm a shift worker as well. I don't have much for experience concerning nutrition but I can tell you I've been advised by a nutritionalist during a lecture to myself and my co-workers; that the body still functions off a normal schedule regardless of your shifts.

So the goal is to keep your regular meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) as close to their regular times as possible.

If your working a night shift (until 6:00am) and your last meal was around 7-8pm then make sure you add 1-2 snacks in there to fuel you through the night.

2010-02-17 2:55 AM
in reply to: #2641017

Katy
Subject: RE: What to eat when working shift work????
I too am a shift worker.  Slightly differents though. I work 7pm to 7am for 7 days and then I'm off for 7 days.  So I always have almonds, yogurt, peanut butter, mini-bagels and Fiber One bars (work your way up to eating a whole one ... my boys call them fart bars!).  I'm not allowed to have food or water in my work environment, so I have to run to the breakroom for quick snacks and all of these give good protein and are quick to eat! Also they take no cook time!  I find that if I drink a big (16+oz) glass of milk before I go to sleep, I don't wake up in the middle of the day craving cheetos or oreos!
Hope this helps!
Cat
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to eat when working shift work???? Rss Feed