Saratoga, Utah
United States
Desert Sharks Triathalon Club
Total Time = 1h 27m 46s
Overall Rank = 23/49
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 9/12
Pre-race routine:

Had a protein shake and peanut butter on toast before departing. Lots of water on the car ride to the race. I arrived at the race 2 hours early. Since this was my first race I wanted to have time to set everything up and scout the course. Found a great place on the end of the rack for my back and set up my transition area. Got marked. Walked the course a bit and scouted the transition areas, entrances, exits etc while I feasted on water and a power bar.
Event warmup:

Walked around the course, jogged a bit, and stretched.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 250 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Although it felt good coming out of the chilly air. I ended up towards the front of the swim pack, unintentionally. But it turned out to be good. The girl in front of me had a bit of trouble swimming and slowed me down on the first length. But she let me pass her at the end of the first length and I was able to get into a great rhythm. I seemed to have the lane to myself most of the time. Bumped heads with someone going the other way once as she was too far left on the swim. No harm done. Kep going and was out of the pool faster than I knew.
What would you do differently?:

I didn't have a watch on because I didn't want to worry to much about times on the first race. However, looking back it would have been nice to know how fast I was in each event.

Overall, I felt really good about the swim. I feel I had a good rhythm and was in a good spot in the pack. Next year, its open water.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I got out of T1 faster than I thought I would. I have been practicing my transitions so apparently that paid off. A little trouble with the socks-- will have to try the powder next time. Otherwise, I was please with my transition.

I need to learn how to jump on my bike. I took longer to mount than I should have. But I'm still new at this and only learned out to clip in a few months ago...so all in good time.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 12 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I am pleased with my bike segment. I got into a good rhythmn and resisted well the temptation to follow someone elses pace. I dropped a chain on the last hill before the turn around but was able to get it back on really quick. So no harm done there.

I need to be more patient in my gear shifting--I dropped a chain because I did something funky on my shifting. But I learned and well, I'm just glad I didn't get a flat or anything worse. :)
I need to work on my speed and technique. I sit too upright. I need to get more comfortable with the gears, especially on the hills.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I took a little longer in T2 than I would have liked because my allergies decided to kick in. But other than that, changing out of the helmet and shoes and into the running shoes went fairly smoothly. Again, it helped that I had practiced this quite a bit during my workouts. Took a long swig of gatorade and off I went.

I think I'm going to get me some Yank or quick laces.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

My legs felt like jello for the first 1/2 mile or so...but then they settled in to a moveable pace. I only had to walk twice for a short distance because of a side cramp.

This is the area I was most disappointed with for myself. I definitely need to work on building speed and endurance in this area. Running is not my favorite and it showed.
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of water. Walked around. Stretched. Lots of hugs and kisses from the super cute niece (the most important part of the day)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Myself-- it really is all mental. I read it some many times but its just one of those things that you have to experience on your own in order for it to sink in. I fight myself and tell myself I'm tired or i can't do it..but the reality is I can. I need to get over that mental block..especially when it comes to speed on the bike and endurance on the run. Overall, I am very please with my first race. My goal was just to finish (and not to be last) and I did that. Now I have some great evaluation points for myself and specific areas of focus for my next race.

Event comments:

I thought this was a great race. I volunteered at a race last week and even though that race had more competitors, it was nowhere near as organized. The Desert Sharks Triathalon club was well organized and timely! The pre race meeting was conducted over a loud speaker so everyone could hear no matter where they were. They were very detailed and thorough about the course instructions and encouraged all the athletes to just have fun. The race started promptly at 8am. The courses were well marked with arrows on the road (different colors for bike and run and the kids race), huge signs to show the way at every corner, and very helpful volunteers to point us in the right direction, just in case we had missed the signs or road arrows. The athletes that finished the race early were amazing as well. A few came back on the run course to encourage the rest of us and they were lined up in the finishers shoot to cheer us on. That was great. The spectators were supportive of everyone and were great motivators. I look forward to running this race again next year...open water next year though. :)

Last updated: 2005-06-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 250 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/49
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 250 yards in a very hot pool.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 87F / 31C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 12 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Course was flat, paved roads. The first four miles (I think that was the proper length) was a straight out and back. The next 8 had some slow, gradual hills which were fun on the way back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 03.1 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Mostly paved running trail in residential area. Slight rolling hills. End of the course was on dirt trail by the lake...uneven because of recent rains. One short but very steep hill at the end.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-06-13 9:24 AM

User image

Salt Lake City, UT
Subject: Saratoga Splash

2005-06-13 10:27 AM
in reply to: #173740

User image

Master
South of SLC
Subject: RE: Saratoga Splash
Nice race and way to finish in the top 50% of your age group on your first race. Sign up for Echo and take the next step to an olympic!

Mike
2005-06-13 12:42 PM
in reply to: #173807

User image

Salt Lake City, UT
Thanks Mike.
I need to take an open water swim clinic before committing to my next race. I'm thinking Cache Valley Classic. But I'll probably volunteer at Echo if I don't race.
2005-06-13 5:31 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Great first race!!  With the first race being all about finishing, I think it was great that you didn't use a watch.

Way to go -- sounds like you had an awesome time!  And great job coming in in the top half!!
2005-06-14 12:20 AM

User image

Expert
Utah

I SAW YOU!  I didn't know if it was you so I didn't say anything.  I remember your cute little niece. You were walking around, holding her, right?  Way to go!  What a great race. You did a fabulous job.   I am going to do the open water next year.  Are you going to the Desert Sharks OW clinic?  I start swimming lessons with Dave on Friday.

Edited by lifesgreat 2005-06-14 12:23 AM
2005-06-14 7:51 AM

User image

Salt Lake City, UT
I was hoping to go to the clinic but its on the 25th and I have dance commitments that day. So sadly, no I won't be there. Good luck with your swimming.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Saratoga Splash Rss Feed