General Discussion Triathlon Talk » the anxiety is starting Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-13 9:37 AM

Veteran
NYC
Subject: the anxiety is starting
any tips for pre-race week? I have my first ever tri this coming SUnday, and I already have butterflies in my stomach any time I think of it. And it's only Monday. Feel totally unprepared. Had several cirmcustances that limited my training the last few weeks, so now I'm getting nervous I don't have the endurance for it, and that I'll have a bad race.

This isn't my "A" race, but it is my first and I would like to try to enjoy it. Trying hard not to put a time goal on it, but I keep hearing that voice that says "You better finish in.....".

2005-06-13 9:48 AM
in reply to: #173748

Regular
Price, UT
Subject: RE: the anxiety is starting
Boy I know what you mean about the feeling in your tummy. I get that just reading about triathlons and mine is still 5 weeks away. The only thing I can think of to help you is just to realax. Tell those dumb voices in your head that you are yes doing the tri to compete, but also to finish and have fun. Don't stress about it. Try making a list of the things that you know you will need if you feel you are unprepared and then just pack accordingly, or if you feel that you are unprepared for the race (physically) try to work on a few things Mon, Tues, Wed, and Thurs to reassure yourself that you can do them. Good luck!!! I am rooting for ya!
2005-06-13 9:52 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO

Get all your get together sometime early this week.  Lay it out on a towel, the way YOU will want it laid out on race day.  Get a feel for where everything will be - I block off half the towel for swim to bike, the other half for bike to run.  Practice some bike to run transitions this week - short bricks (15 mins on the bike and about 10-15 running to get used to that transition).

A partial list of items for Sunday:

• Towel to put stuff on, another small one for drying your feet
  • goggles
  • suit (of course)
  • bike (yeah...)
  • sunblock
  • water bottles (one with carb drink, one with water)
  • any energy food that you want (gels, bars, PB&J, etc.)
  • hat or visor
  • cycling shoes
  • running shoes
  • race number (race belt optional)
  • spare tubes (at least one, preferably two)

Optional items:

• light windbreaker
  • socks
  • HRM (although I don't race with it)

There isn't any endurance training that will help you one week from your race, but you should concentrate on the transitions this week.  Putting the bike shoes on the pedals and sliding your feet into them while biking and riding with your feet ON the shoes, instead of in.  Taking your feet out prior to dismounting the bike.  Running with the bike, and drinking on the run (pinch the top of the cup to 'pour' into your mouth). 

Don't worry about finishing in X time, just cross that finish line and you'll be a triathlete who knows what to do the next time!

2005-06-13 9:54 AM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT

Nothing wrong with anxiety, you'd probably be more worried if you weren't anxious. Three words "Trust Your Training".  Think back on all the hard workouts you did.  A few bad instances in the last few weeks doesn't wreck all the good you did over the many other weeks.  Good Luck and have lots of fun.

Chris

2005-06-13 9:54 AM

User image

Salt Lake City, UT
I had the same feelings last week. At the last minute, I took off my watch so I would be forced to just go with the flow and not watch the time. I would strongly recommend it for your first race. Sure, I regret not knowing what my split times were (my race only timed overall finishing time) but in the end it was best for me because I think I would have stressed too much about time rather than just finishing the best I could.

For me, nothing beats preparation. If your race day is chaotic, it will make the event more stressful. Here are some things I did to prepare myself:
1- Take the two days off before the race from training. Stay active -- but no heavy workout. I went on nice long walks.
2- Lay out everything you need for the race 2 or 3 days before-- just to make sure you have everything. Don't forget the things you don't necessarily think you'll need like bandaids, tissues (I used these more than expected-- allergies ), wet wipes, lotion--- I used all these things before, during, and/or after the race.
3- Check your bike the night before the race-- take it out for a quick easy ride to make sure its all in working order.
4. Get plenty of rest the night before
5. Get to the race early-- take the time to set up, get to know the transition areas and scout where the course leads.
6. Drink lots of water before the race-- but stop drinking and eating about 45 minutes before the race.
7. Set your goal to just do your best and finsih.

Good luck and have fun! I enjoyed my first race and can't wait to do it again. I hope you have a great time.
2005-06-13 12:04 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

When you hear that inner voice that says you're not prepared, refute it.

Say to yourself: "I am ready for this." "I will finish and and finish well." "I'm trained and prepared." "I feel good. " "This is an opportunity and a gift I've given myself."

You'll do fine.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » the anxiety is starting Rss Feed