General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Higher run cadence Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-31 10:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
Subject: Higher run cadence

Had a conversation with an IronGuides Coach who was a big believer in higher cadence running. Apart from how it couples with a low rpm ride, the coach believed higher cadence running (>90) was more efficient and led to less injuries. In the few runs I have tried a higher cadence, the new running style uses more of my quads and less of the glutes. Before I embark on an 2 hr run, I was interested in hearing from the BT community. Would welcome anyones experience or thoughts on the subject. Thanks.

2010-02-01 5:16 AM
in reply to: #2646546

User image

Veteran
Perth
Subject: RE: Higher run cadence
I found that I was more efficient running with a higher cadence but quicker with my normal stride but I tired sooner for the same effort. I used to listen to my metronome ( an application/ device on my iphone for keeping your timing when playing the guitar) set on 180 bpm and I would run to that and make sure I was striking at the same time. Terribly boring but it works - I find that I know run without it at a cadence of about 88 but it's a lot higher than what it was. I am happy with my progress since focusing on this.
2010-02-01 7:56 AM

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii
I think I remember reading that a higher cadence is recommended because at a lower cadence runners tend to over-stride instead of striking the foot directly under their center of gravity.
2010-02-01 8:07 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
swiss tri - 2010-01-31 10:24 PM Had a conversation with an IronGuides Coach who was a big believer in higher cadence running. Apart from how it couples with a low rpm ride, the coach believed higher cadence running (>90) was more efficient and led to less injuries. In the few runs I have tried a higher cadence, the new running style uses more of my quads and less of the glutes. Before I embark on an 2 hr run, I was interested in hearing from the BT community. Would welcome anyones experience or thoughts on the subject. Thanks.
that's just an opinion and not based on the available evidence which suggests there isnlt really any optimal cadence since it is a function of your stride lenght, fitness, speed, natural gait, biomechanics, terrain where you run, etc. There are elite runners on the 80-85 cadence x foot while others on the 95-100 and yet others around 90. 

I would be careful about changin anything in your run style just for the heck of it and *if* you still choose to go that route do small changes and see how your body responds. As you noticed, some of your muscles are not used to the work induced by running in a certain way because you have simply run in your natural gait for many years; hence doing drastic changes can easily lead to injuries just because your muscles are not trained to handle the work.

The low rpm ride is also nothing but an opinion as rpms is a function of torque and rpms, if one goes up the other one does down and viceversa and that is more a result of your power output, genetic make up, terrain, fitness, fatigue, etc.

I personally believe we all are different and respond different to training hence trying to match all athletes through a "one-size fits all" mold is a risky practice.
2010-02-02 7:14 PM

User image

Elite
SE
I shortened my stride and increased my cadence after ITBS struck me at Boston. I think I run slower but I've had less injuries. Not sure what this means for you. I was a runner before I came to tris.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Higher run cadence Rss Feed