General Discussion Triathlon Talk » running shoes - less cushioning? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-03 4:20 PM

Veteran
Wisconsin
Subject: running shoes - less cushioning?
It'll be Spring soon, and I need to replace my running shoes...

Over the last few months I've read several articles stating that today's running shoes are designed improperly for humans. Without going into specifics (a quick google would turn up lots of reading material), the thick heal on a standard running shoe encourages the athlete to land hard on the heal, resulting in a jarring stride, and often, stress-related injuries.

Supposedly, the heal should be much thinner so that runners instead roll their foot forward when striking the pavement. Think about how you might run if you were barefoot on grass.

Anyway - I was wondering what people here thought about this subject, and if some newer shoe designs take this into account. Running barefoot isn't an option (I run on roads, and in chilly weather), but perhaps a standard running shoe w/ 1" of thick rubber under my heal isn't a good idea?

Thanks!

Edited by feh 2010-02-03 4:21 PM

2010-02-03 4:40 PM
in reply to: #2653293

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Subject: RE: running shoes - less cushioning?

By a recommendation from my local running store, I am on my second pair of Saucony Fastwitch 3's.  They are super lightweight (7.3 oz) and very thin.  I go through them pretty quickly though.  I bought my first pair in September and after even after very little running, I am on my second (and probably last pair).  If anything I might get another pair for race only shoes.  I have worn Mizuno and love them.  They seem to last me all of my HIM training last year, actually right up to race day.  They are a heavier shoe, but will certainly last longer and seem to cushion my joints a little better. 

2010-02-03 4:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Spokane
First off, in no way am I an expert on running shoes or human gait analysis . I did work in a running specialty store for almost 2 years and have done plenty of running and shoe testing myself.

Funny I read your post, because I just listened to about a 15 minute thing on NPR the other day, regarding a recent "study" about barefoot running. Like most things, the way we do things these days is much different than hundreds or thousands of years ago. The study showed that running barefoot did create less impact on the body. Yes, this was because a shoe typically encourages you to more of a heel-striker. What the main guy doing the study said towards the end was...they didn't have near enough evidence, and it is still dangerous to run barefoot permanently for many reasons. So, that is that.

I think that people buy the wrong shoe far too often and that is part of the problem. In my time fitting people, there were a ton of people that wouldn't buy the recommended shoe, because the other one looked cooler or whatever. When you have certain characteristics about your foot, body-type, running style, running terrain, injuries, etc., there is a shoe (or a few) that would work better for you. What I would do, is just go to your local, respected specialty running store and have a couple of people check out your gait and make some recommendations. Then, go somewhere else and get another opinion.

The risky thing about a lower-profile shoe, is sometimes that lower heel (but still the same amount in the midfoot and forefoot) could result in more work taken on by your Achilles, calf, etc. Just something to keep in mind.

Ok, I think I've said too much and don't want to start a debate. That is just what I think .

Hope you find your shoe.
2010-02-04 9:43 AM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
Assuming you're a relatively beginner runner, I'd go with whatever a specialty running shoe store suggests.  If you're happy with your current shoes there's probably no reason to change. 

As you run more you'll get a better idea of what you like and can experiment with different shoes.  You'll appreciate more the differences, benefits, and downfalls of different types of shoes as a more experienced runner.

Brian
2010-02-04 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2654459

Veteran
Wisconsin
famelec - 2010-02-04 9:43 AM Assuming you're a relatively beginner runner, I'd go with whatever a specialty running shoe store suggests.  If you're happy with your current shoes there's probably no reason to change. 

As you run more you'll get a better idea of what you like and can experiment with different shoes.  You'll appreciate more the differences, benefits, and downfalls of different types of shoes as a more experienced runner.

Brian

Depends on what you mean by "beginner". I've been running for 15 years, but I don't put in a ton of miles. In fact, over the last 3 years I've concentrated much more on cycling because it doesn't doesn't pound my body like running does.

I don't have any injuries. I'm just curious about what folks here (who, I assume, do put in a lot of miles) think about this topic and if they've tried any of the shoes that facilitate the different running style.
2010-02-04 10:00 AM

User image

Veteran

Last summer I tried the Nike Free 5.0.  They have much less buildup in the heel and are light.  I liked them a lot, but they are so light I was worried (probably without reason) that my legs would become spoiled by such a lightweight shoe.  So, I keep two shoes, the Nike Free 5.0 and the Nike Moto 7...which is more of a regular shoe, but don't have a crazy heel buildup like some do.  I'm on my 2nd pair of Frees and 1st pair of Motos...I switched over from Saucony b/c Saucony's always seemed to have a huge heel and I wanted to move away from that, and also something about the cut of the soles made me hit the inside of one ankle with the edge of the inside sole on the opposite foot as I strided bringing the rear foot front...and I was tired of having bloody ankles all the time. 

2010-02-04 12:51 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-02-20 12:29 AM

New user

Toronto, ON
The Asics Gel Noosa 5 is a Triathlon specific shoe; It was designed in Australia & caters specifically for multi-sport competition. It is very light and offers a non-slip heel, tongue backing and quick lacing system.

Check them out at the bottom of this web-page :

www.tdgsportsinternational.com/running/shoes/racing.html
2010-02-20 2:12 PM

Regular
Yuma, AZ.
My questions is what exactly makes them tri specific except the quick lace system? Running is running....or is it?
2010-02-21 3:51 PM
in reply to: #2655099

Extreme Veteran

triarcher - 2010-02-04 12:51 PM I'm going to be in the Mizuno wave Rider 13 this season.  I'm switching from the Asics Nimbus 11.  Nimbus is just too much shoe. 

I just switched the opposite way. The Nimbus is pretty cushy alright. Maybe more than I'd normally want, but as much as I liked the Wave Riders, I kept having blister problems whenever I went more than 5 or 6 miles in them. So far the Nimbus haven't given me any issues, which is a huge relief.

2010-02-22 3:01 PM

Pro
Wallingford, PA
My favorite at this point is the Adidas Adizero line. I'm currently running in the Adizero Ace. Very light, low profile shoe. Love it! But you really need to try on a few and see what feels best for you. Go to a couple of running stores and ask to try on some racing flats. Try on as many different shoes as you can, and find the ones that feel best to you.

2010-02-23 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2683101

Regular
WI
tdgsportsint'l - 2010-02-20 12:29 AM

The Asics Gel Noosa 5 is a Triathlon specific shoe; It was designed in Australia & caters specifically for multi-sport competition. It is very light and offers a non-slip heel, tongue backing and quick lacing system.

I don't know if those shoes are any good, but they are definitely the ugliest shoes I've seen. Looks like the shoe designer was on an acid trip.
2010-02-23 4:05 PM
in reply to: #2688823

Expert
Brookings South Dakota
GBarrett - 2010-02-23 1:26 PM

I don't know if those shoes are any good, but they are definitely the ugliest shoes I've seen. Looks like the shoe designer was on an acid trip.

And a price cut to 160 dollars! No thank you.
2010-02-23 4:30 PM
in reply to: #2684760

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-02-23 11:20 PM

Regular
burnaby
Last year I tried the Nimbus for a full marathon and that toe box made me pay!
2010-02-24 11:14 AM

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
There has been a growing movement for the last several years towards a more minimalistic design in shoes. For years I ran in fairly built-up shoes, training lots of miles and lots of fast miles, but racing in the lightest (and often only slightly cushioned) shoes I could find.

About 6 years ago I started training in racing flats full time. There were guys around me that were training in the Vibram 5-fingers "shoes" and such. My choice was the Nike Waffle Racer (cross country racing flat). And I loved them, BUT almost all my training was done OFF road. In addition, my gait was almost completely forefoot- to mid-foot landing.

In 2008 I had problems with a toe, which eventually lead to surgery, and I haven't been able to run since. The nature of the injury was not impact-related (Frieberg's Infractin), so I don't think my shoe choice had anything to do with it. In any case, my running improved a lot when going to a minimal shoe, especially combined with my particular gait.

2010-02-24 11:28 AM

Elite
Evergreen, CO
I love my Nike Frees.  Bought them last summer and ran a fall marathon in them.  Have been running trails in them all winter and no snow gets in them (unlike my asics or brooks) so my feet stay dry.  None of my old injuries have recurred -- I assume it's because of the shoes.  Since the only cushioning is a rubber sole I'm hoping I don't go through them as quickly as traditional running shoes and save $$$ as well.
2010-02-24 11:29 AM
in reply to: #2689308

Extreme Veteran
Canyon Hills (Lake Elsinore), CA
ipull400watts - 2010-02-23 2:05 PM

GBarrett - 2010-02-23 1:26 PM

And a price cut to 160 dollars! No thank you.

I agree those are some ugly shoes. I think the price is AU currency.

My favorite shoe right now is the Saucony Ride which isn't as bulky as some shoes but has just enough cushion for me to be comfortable on 10-12 mile runs while still being fairly light.
2010-03-02 10:18 PM

Buttercup
feh - 2010-02-03 5:20 PM It'll be Spring soon, and I need to replace my running shoes...

Over the last few months I've read several articles stating that today's running shoes are designed improperly for humans. Without going into specifics (a quick google would turn up lots of reading material), the thick heal on a standard running shoe encourages the athlete to land hard on the heal, resulting in a jarring stride, and often, stress-related injuries. 1

Supposedly, the heal should be much thinner so that runners instead roll their foot forward when striking the pavement. Think about how you might run if you were barefoot on grass2

1) I don't think the heel encourages the athlete to land hard on the heel. I think an athlete who improperly applies force to their heel is the problem. When you run, you should be running softly. If you are pounding your feet into the ground, you're going to have problems. Think "soft strike, soft strike" when you run and your feet will follow your mental instructions.

2) The forefoot of the shoe has much to do with how easily the foot rolls forward. When shopping for your new shoes, bend the toe of the shoe towards the back - see how easily the forefoot bends. A stiffer forefoot means your foot has to work harder to flex the shoe; your toe-off becomes more work. 

FWIW, I run in the Mizuno Creation. It's got a high heel height, very little of which is cushion. I'm a midfoot striker and this heel doesn't change my foot strike. Before that, I ran in Mizuno Wave Riders for several years. It has the lowest heel height in the conventional running shoe category (again, not including racing flats or the minimalist shoes). I'm thinking about moving to the Brooks Glycerin 8 because I like how comfortable the 7s are (I use these for everyday walking, not running). I also like the rocker in the 8s; forefoot is very flexible.

2010-03-03 11:51 AM
in reply to: #2653319

Master
Raleigh
Jeepguy2358 - 2010-02-03 5:40 AM

By a recommendation from my local running store, I am on my second pair of Saucony Fastwitch 3's.  They are super lightweight (7.3 oz) and very thin.  I go through them pretty quickly though.  I bought my first pair in September and after even after very little running, I am on my second (and probably last pair).  If anything I might get another pair for race only shoes.  I have worn Mizuno and love them.  They seem to last me all of my HIM training last year, actually right up to race day.  They are a heavier shoe, but will certainly last longer and seem to cushion my joints a little better. 

Where are you getting these fastwitch3's? They are my favorite and can't find them online in orange anymore.

I've had to swap to the Saucony A2's but my love is the fastwitch3s

I cant run in thick padded shoes. the races provide enough support and cush for me to run in...

A bit a warning to you tho- if your run course is trail running, racers are a BAD choice. You will feel every rock root etc...
2010-03-03 1:28 PM

Veteran
This is a rather interesting thread to me since the shoe that I absolutely love is my Nike 360 Air Maxes.  They are just so comfortable to run in and feel "effortless" to me.  Of course, these probably have a heel that is thicker than most because of the Air technology. 

I just recently purchased a pair of LunarGlides to try them out.  They are also very comfortable and easy to run it, but don't provide as much cushioning as my Air Max's. 

I still have an old pair of Nike 2:45s that, to this day, are the best running shoes I've ever worn. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » running shoes - less cushioning? Rss Feed