General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM training plan and fitting in events Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-03 11:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Subject: HIM training plan and fitting in events
I'm getting ready to start a 6 month training plan for a HIM race in September, sp. the 27-weeks to HIM in Bernhardt's Training Plans for Multisport Athletes. Along the way I want to hit up a few more events - check my log for the list if you're interested. Generally, I have a 10K and sprint in May, an Olympic in June, a century ride in July, and finally the HIM in September. I may try to squeeze a half-mary in there if I can.

Now obviously I cannot hope to coordinate the weeks perfectly to coincide with the events that I want. I assume that I'll deviate from the plan a bit and reduce volume the week before the longer events -Olympic and century. How would you handle fitting things in?

Also, considering the century ride, I want to be sure that I have adequate training for that. Should I bump up the cycling training or let it be what it is?

-Kirk

2010-02-04 3:31 AM
in reply to: #2653887

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
Subject: RE: HIM training plan and fitting in events
This season I have managed to work the races that I want to do into the recovery weeks of my training plan.  As races are always on a sunday it means that I have a reduced volume from Monday - Saturday.  This way I don't sacrifice and full on training time (as you would if you taper during a full training week) and I am still relatively fresh for the race.

For the century, yes you could increase the bike volume for that if you want as long as you can still handle training in the other sports.  It would help with your HIM bike time too.
2010-02-04 9:01 AM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I would just train through all the less important events. Maybe take a day off before and after, but that's about it. I've never considered a century ride to be particularly difficult as the ones I've done are not a race and the event directors do not encourage people to treat them as races. They're just more of a supported group ride.
2010-02-04 9:47 AM

User image

Veteran
DC
I'm doing the same training plan and just had the same question.  The two races that I'm doing pre-HIM (a half and an oly) both fall at the end of a recovery week.  You can take a look at the adjustments I've since made to my schedule (new additions are in blue, removals are strike-through). 

This was done based on the advice of a rather knowledgeable triathlete here on BT.  According to said expert, the half marathon will beat you up a bit more than the Oly, so if you may want to take a couple of days off from running post-13.1 and then get back into it with an easy 'recovery' jog. 

Good luck.

2010-02-04 10:11 AM
in reply to: #2654326

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Donskiman - 2010-02-04 9:01 AM I would just train through all the less important events. Maybe take a day off before and after, but that's about it. I've never considered a century ride to be particularly difficult as the ones I've done are not a race and the event directors do not encourage people to treat them as races. They're just more of a supported group ride.

This ^^^^

You chose an "A" race.  Everything else is basically training.  You could maybe consider one other race a strong "B", if it was more than 8 weeks from your "A".
2010-02-04 10:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Thanks everyone for the ideas. It seems that I'm on the right track. It also appears that if I adjust the program by 1 week, I can have most of my target events occur at the end of a low volume week. Of course that also means that if I _don't_ adjust the program by 1 week, most of my events will occur at the beginning of a rest week - just as good an option, I think.

Right now, September 19th is the A-race target.

-Kirk

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM training plan and fitting in events Rss Feed