General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Train race a HIM while Oly training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-04 1:11 PM

Subject: Train race a HIM while Oly training
Anyone out there ever train race a HIM while only training for Oly distance?  I am considering racing 1 HIM in 2011 but would like to have one HIM in me prior.  I would have no problem watching the HR and 'holding back'.  Or, would any benefit from toeing the line for a HIM be wasted because of a lack of training for that distance.  The HIM would be at the end of my season with only 1 sprint after it. 

My long training swims are 2 miles, bike @40 and run @10.  

2010-02-04 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2655197

User image

Subject: RE: Train race a HIM while Oly training
If I am reading this correctly, you want to do an HIM while training for Oly distances?? any reason why other than wanting to do one? If you want to do an HIM, do an HIM. By your long sessions now, you certainly could train for HIM distance by this season. Using a HIM as a training day for an Oly doesn't make much sense.

Going sprint to Oly is no big deal, and you really don't have to worry much about nutrition, as you can likely skate by without much intense race or nutrition planning. Oly to HIM is a whole other kettle of fish, without solid training and a nutrition plan it can turn into a long painful day.

Not personal, but I've never understood people that say "I am planning on doing "X" distance in 20XX, but I'd like to do "X" distance in 20XX -1, just to see what it's like". If you want to see what it's like, train for it and race it
2010-02-04 1:46 PM

User image

Champion
MA
I agree with Chris ^^^

If you want to do a HIM, train to do a HIM. Don't do one to learn/practice so you can "do" one the following year.

If it is late season, you can decide later. Do earlier races then if you still want to do HIM, pick & follow a HIM training plan or hire a coach if you are inclined.
2010-02-04 6:31 PM

Good points.  Ok, I admit I sound a little wimpy... I am just looking to test the distance, hydration and nutrition with out worrying about trying to go fast and was wondering if anyone else has done it and if they felt it was worth it and helped them the following HIM.   
2010-02-04 6:39 PM
in reply to: #2655936

User image

smarchildon - 2010-02-04 4:31 PM

Good points.  Ok, I admit I sound a little wimpy... I am just looking to test the distance, hydration and nutrition with out worrying about trying to go fast and was wondering if anyone else has done it and if they felt it was worth it and helped them the following HIM.   

Do a practice day with a 10K or 12K. No point in putting yourself thru the stress of a full HIM just to test nutrition etc.

Besides, a big part of long course racing is to see whether you can do it
2010-02-04 9:01 PM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
smarchildon - 2010-02-04 1:11 PM Anyone out there ever train race a HIM while only training for Oly distance?  I am considering racing 1 HIM in 2011 but would like to have one HIM in me prior.  I would have no problem watching the HR and 'holding back'.  Or, would any benefit from toeing the line for a HIM be wasted because of a lack of training for that distance.  The HIM would be at the end of my season with only 1 sprint after it. 

My long training swims are 2 miles, bike @40 and run @10.  

I really don't see any issues with it if you want to test the distance this year.

Training hard for an Oly isn't all that different from training for a HIM (others may disagree).  It sounds like your HIM is after your Oly so it's only a matter of continuing your training program.  While I don't know your training program other than your long workouts that you posted, your long swim and long run are enough for a HIM.  Your long bike strikes me as way too short though, even for an Oly.  Personally I'd up it for the Oly, and definitely up it if you're going to do the HIM.

FWIW, my A race is an Oly on Memorial Day in May.  Five days later I may do a HIM I've wanted to do just for the heck of it.  I've done a couple already so I know I'll be in good shape for it.

Brian

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Train race a HIM while Oly training Rss Feed