General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to wear for first race? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-04 8:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Subject: What to wear for first race?
I didn't want to hijack the tri top thread, but I am very confused about what I should wear for my first race (a women's sprint in May; lake swim that is generally not wetsuit legal).  I am 5'10", but weigh around 220 (and going down, but still....).  I generally train in longer but tight fitting shorts (for running) or bike shorts for cycling, and wear tech shirts or form fitting shirts over a bra or two (I'm a 42 DD).  For swim training, I have a speedo racer back tankini.

Several in the other thread recommended one piece tri suits -- why is that?  Do you wear it for swim, too, or just bike and run?

Slight complicating factor:  I am doing the first race with two of my bestest friends, and we would like to get some custom team tops, if we can.  We all have similar builds.

Help!

2010-02-04 11:07 PM
in reply to: #2656125

User image

Pro
Without house
Subject: RE: What to wear for first race?
For shorter distance tris, you have nowhere or opportunity to change, aside from adding to what you are already wearing (not to mention that nudity is against the rules, and can get you disqualified).  Yes, tri suits, whether they are one or two piece, are meant to be worn for the whole she-bang...from swim to run.  You don't need to change anything, there is a (small) pad in the shorts that dries quickly, etc and so forth.

For races I wear a two piece tri suit (separate top and bottom) over my sports bra (I'm a 38 D...shelf bras are NOT my friend).  That's it (well, aside from my wetsuit over that for the swim).  Easy peasy.

I'm not sure about the custom tops...most of the places I know of require a minimum number of pieces (ie, champion systems is a 10 piece minimum)
2010-02-05 9:02 AM

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
People wear lots of different things. I prefer tri top and tri shorts or tri suit. Regular bike shorts have a heavy pad that usually doesn't dry quickly enough and could feel like you are riding in a wet diaper while tri shorts usually have so soft microfiber fabric at the crotch which dries quickly. If you wear a swimsuit under shorts you may be more prone to chafing.

Tri suits are convient except when you have to go to the bathroom. I actually like to do my swim training in a tri suit, I feel almost naked in a swim suit, nobody else in my swim group does but I don't care. I set up ebay searches for brands I like and get some great deals. Just this week I got 2 zoot tri suits for $20 each that retail for $100 and $150.

If you want to have custom t-shirts make have a look at something like:
http://www.zazzle.com/cr/design/pt-shirt?style=performance_tshirt&c...
I would stay away from cotton for tris at it holds water and flaps in the wind.

dinabean - 2010-02-04 9:59 PM

I didn't want to hijack the tri top thread, but I am very confused about what I should wear for my first race (a women's sprint in May; lake swim that is generally not wetsuit legal).  I am 5'10", but weigh around 220 (and going down, but still....).  I generally train in longer but tight fitting shorts (for running) or bike shorts for cycling, and wear tech shirts or form fitting shirts over a bra or two (I'm a 42 DD).  For swim training, I have a speedo racer back tankini.

Several in the other thread recommended one piece tri suits -- why is that?  Do you wear it for swim, too, or just bike and run?

Slight complicating factor:  I am doing the first race with two of my bestest friends, and we would like to get some custom team tops, if we can.  We all have similar builds.

Help!
2010-02-05 5:39 PM

User image

Expert
If you have the money in the budget, i would buy tri shorts and a tri top.  Should cost somewhere between $75-$125 all in. 

At 36D shelf bra is no friend of mine.

When i did tris when I was a poor undergrad I just had tri shorts (a must) and put on the following clothes in the following order.  Sportsbra, then swim suit, then trishorts.  wouldn't recommend this for longer races, but it'll work for the super sprint/sprint distance.

I would not recommend putting a tight tank with a shelf bra on top of a wet swimsuit (Undecided)  Did that for my first tri.  I struggled in T1 for a very long time trying to peal that shirt on!!!
2010-03-07 9:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Thanks for your help so far!

I think I am going to have to do separate shorts and top, because of my size.  I am starting to wonder, actually, if I am going to be able to find tri shorts in my size.  I wear a size 16-18 pant (probably down to a 16 now that I've lost some weight, yay!) and a 42DD bra.   Can anyone recommend specific brands that will fit me?  It seems that most tri manufacturers consider "XL" to be a size 12.  I am trying not to be totally discouraged by that...
2010-03-11 9:08 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Try Danskin...they have a lot of different sizes.  I wouldn't rule out the one piece, either.  As a busty lady, I prefer having my top and shorts NOT be separate, as running causes the top to ride up.  Sometimes if I am feeling modest, I'll throw a tank over the tri suit in transition.  Really, nobody cares what you are wearing, they are worrying about their own lycra and race performance!  Zoot shorts fit well, too, and Sugoi.  There are quite a few threads about clothing for larger women if you search on BT.  And I always wear a good sports bra under whatever I am racing in, no question about that!  Good job on the weight loss, keep up the good work!

2010-03-12 2:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Kauai girl now in MIll Creek/Silver Firs
Hi,

I started out your size and I know you'll be able to find tri shorts that fit. Have you tried aerotechdesigns?  (add .com and you'll get to their site)  I think you'd be a women's XL in their stuff and they also have larger sizes if you needed to go up a size. I have a pair of their tri shorts and really like them.  
2010-03-14 2:24 PM

User image

Elite
Reno

tri shorts, sports bra, and a tec-fiber top close fitting top.    

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to wear for first race? Rss Feed