Melbourne Beach Rotary
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 39m 26s
Overall Rank = 131/258
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 19/21
Pre-race routine:

I arranged my gear so that my transitions would be expeditious. And it paid off.
Event warmup:

I got into the water for a swim warm up to accomplish three things, 1) see how cold the water was, 2) check the water visibilitiy and 3) see what it was like to come out of the water up the steep ramp.
Swim
  • 16m 7s
  • 500 yards
  • 03m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

The course was simple but I seemed to struggle with it for some reason. I couldn't stay on course and the water chop seemed to really be a problem for me. At one point I know I got clobbered with a wave that just took my breath away. It made me stop and catch my breath before I could continue.
What would you do differently?:

More river swimming to get accustomed to the chop. Possibly start on the outer front edge.
Transition 1
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

I had a really good transition. My gear was layed out very well because I got my riding shoes on, sun glasses, sweat band, helmet, bike. I did not drink anything here thinking that I could do that on the bike. I also didn't put on socks with my bike shoes. I also didn't bother to dry off any more than I already was since there was a long jog between the the water and the transition area.

Not much. I had a pretty fast transition for T1 and everything went as I had planned. I did have a cut on my foot (discovered several hours after the race) so I am not sure if it was a result of no socks or what so I might put on socks next time with my bike shoes. It should make T2 a little faster then.
Bike
  • 50m 54s
  • 15 miles
  • 17.68 mile/hr
Comments:

Okay.. I have my new bike, only a week prior to this race and the lack of saddle time really showed. There were several racers that passed me like I was sitting still and I was really going at it the first 7.5 miles. The head wind did play a factor since I didn't have the bike legs to power through the resistance. The only other thing that slowed me down was my new bike seat. It's light as a feather but now I know why those professional bike riders have prostate problems. Man was I numb!

The obvious thing is to get more saddle time. Ride, Ride, and ride some more. Next, which I've already done, is switch out the seat. I've gone to a slightly heavier Terri Liberator seat but I can say that my prostate gland is thanking me!!! No more numbness.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

I had a really good transition. Again, my pre-planning on of my transition gear really paid off. I had my shoes layed out with my socks such that all I had to do was to park my bike, peel off my bike shoes, pull on socks and slam on my shoes and I was away. I did leave my sun glasses but it wasn't sunny and they were smeared so I left them behind.

My transition could have been faster had I gotten out of my bike shoes while I was still on the bike so I could run more effectively from the bike dismount to the bike rack. Bike shoes are not made for running!!! :) I hind sight though the time I spent running in the bike shoes was actually counted on my bike protion so it wouldn't have made much time difference in T2.
Run
  • 30m 20s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

By this point in the race my legs were pretty much spent. When I first started out of the transition area my legs felt like two speghetti noodles with running shoes on the ends. I got settled into my race pace with an average HR of 171 and kept my legs chugging. It wasn't fast but I didn't stop running.

Here's were training really pays off. I will definitly start doing more bricks so I can train my body to transition better from the bike to the run. I also need a LOT more distance runs under my belt.
Post race
Warm down:

I did some stretching and catching my breath and sitting.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Right now I'm in the ranks of the weekend/week day warrior. I have not truely committed to the longer endurance training necessary to really excel at this distance of a race. I can do it but I know I can do so much better if I just put in more long-duration training time.

Event comments:

http://rotarypineappleman.org/4436.html

Race starts at 7 AM

Distances: .3 mile swim, 15 mile bike, 3.3 mile run

The race begins and ends at Ryckman Park in Melbourne Beach.

Swim Course The swim takes place in the Indian River Lagoon. Swimmers will enter and exit the water from the historic Melbourne Beach Pier. After the swim, participants will advance from the pier to the adjacent transition area in Ryckman Park.

Bike Course The bike segment is a long, straight, flat, and fast out and back course that follows A1A south along ocean-side parks and nature preserves. Riders will u-turn (police supervised) at the southern end of the course and return to Ryckman Park.

Run Course The run course goes northward, beside the Indian River and loops through quiet, residential neighborhoods. The finish line is on Ocean Ave in front of the historic Ryckman House.

Follow this link for the race results
http://www.multirace.com/triathlon/2005TriResults.aspx?Race

Last updated: 2005-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:07 | 500 yards | 03m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 20/21
Overall: 169/258
Performance: Below average
Start HR was around 85. 01:00 (111), 02:00 (162), 03:00 (164), 04:00 (164), 05:00 (162), 06:00 (161), 07:00 (162), 08:00 (156), 09:00 (158), 10:00 (158), 11:00 (160), 12:00 (161), 13:00 (164), 14:00 (165), 15:00 (165), 16:00 (168), 17:00 (165)
Suit: none
Course: Triangle in shape. We started in the water on the north side of the pier. Three waves (Wave 1 - male 39 & younger, wave 2 - male 40+, wave 3 - women, teams and the guy who was running w/ his girlfriend.) A guy wore a gps and measured the course. It was precisely .3 mile long.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:09
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:50:54 | 15 miles | 17.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/21
Overall: 145/258
Performance: Average
coming soon..
Wind: Headwind
Course: The bike course paralleled the river through Melbourne Beach and rejoined Oak St. which merged onto A1A about 2 miles out. South on A1A to Indian Landing for 5.5 miles where we turned around and returned on the same course. There was a head wind (out of the south east) heading south on A1A which became a tail wind when we returned. The return was very exciting because I could all get some serious speed out of my new bike.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 75
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:20 | 03.3 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/21
Overall: 128/258
Performance: Average
coming soon..
Course: The run was a long rectangle shaped course. From the transition area we ran north for 1.6 miles, turned east for about a tenth and then turned south to parallel the first 1.6 miles back to the finish line. In all it was 3.3 miles. The course was flat though neighborhood streets of Melbourne Beach.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %2
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-06-13 4:30 PM

User image

Brevard
Subject: Pineapple Man Triathlon

2005-06-13 4:36 PM
in reply to: #174146

User image

Subject: RE: Pineapple Man Triathlon

Congrats on your race.  That is pretty nifty that the pictures link to the race results... but it was too early to see yours.

2005-06-15 2:36 PM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
God job Steve! New bike seems to have helpd some. You need more miles in hte saddle though :-)
2005-06-17 9:47 PM
in reply to: #174152

User image

Brevard
Thanks a lot. At first I was disappointed with my performance but now I'm really happy. I realize where my training opportunities are now so I need to capitolize on them and next time I'll be able to blow these race numbers away. By the way, the race pictures are online now. You can see them also on my web page too. (http://home.cfl.rr.com/winfough/races.htm)
2005-06-17 11:45 PM

User image

Expert
Portland,OR

Good job on the race.  Your transitions were awesome and even your bike and run times were pretty good considering the headwind and the tired legs.  You should never be disappointed in your race performance. Even a DNF is a learning experience for the next race and you were far from a DNF!  Keep kickin' butt!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pineapple Man Triathlon Rss Feed