DCB Adventures
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 06m 15s
Overall Rank = 62/113
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/20
Pre-race routine:

Woke up after a terrible night of sleep at 5:30ish. Had a bowl of maple-brown sugar mini-wheats. Gathered my gear together, then my fluids and kissed the wife and kids and left. Ate an apple and drank a Cytomax sports drink on the drive over to the race.
Event warmup:

Arrived around 6:30ish. Had already checked in the day before so I found a spot on the bike rack, got marked and went to the bathroom. Had about 40 minutes to kill so I walked around and then realized that I had forgot my camel pack in the back of my truck! So I walked to the parking lot and felt lucky that it was still there. So the walk was kind of a warm-up. Went to the bathroom again (still nervous) and then had about 10 minutes till the start. Funny how the start just comes up on you so fast.
Swim
  • 17m 7s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

Felt I had a good swim. I swam to avoid people after getting ran over in the first 100m which hurt my time. I usually swim a little closer 2:05 per 100m. But my heart rate felt elevated but it came down nicely.
What would you do differently?:

I need more open water swim experience. Entering some Splash N' Dash series races in the fall would be helpful.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This transition needed some work. The actual transition was in the dirt and I forgot to get my sandals on before I entered and basically had clumps of mud on my feet when I arrived at my spot. I was prepared but it just took that much longer to get my feet cleaned off. Then I put my helmet on before my shirt. That wasn't working either.

Put my sandals on upon leaving the lake!
Bike
  • 1h 13m 23s
  • 10 miles
  • 8.18 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a mountain bike trail since I only have a mtn. bike. The course organizer says its a beginner level but I think he's crazy. Luckily, I'm familiar with the course and have been riding it every Saturday for the last 5 or 6 weeks. Lots of little crashes from other riders but I never went down. Felt nicely prepared and didn't over due it. Road up each hill and only was passed by 1 or 2 people.

Based on how I felt on the run, probably need some more calories. Another Gu? I tried gatorade and it didn't sit well which would continue on the run.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

They didn't break out transition times and I wasn't too concerned about that on my first triathlon. I thought this one went pretty well. Got my bike shoes of quickly and laced up the running shoes, put my visor on and took off. Saw a friend from work and her husband which was cool. My wife and kids were just out of the transition area along the course and tried to give my kids "fives" but I guessed I missed my 3 yr old son and he wasn't very happy about that! Sorry Tanner.
Run
  • 35m 37s
  • 5 kms
  • 07m 07s  min/km
Comments:

This is where the wheels came off. I felt good leaving the transition but the first hill killed me. By the time I got to the trail run, I was done. Had to walk parts of the hills and had that pyschological battle going on between mind and body the whole run. Wanted to stop but kept saying my mantra "it is faster if you run!".

Better nutrition and more hill training.
Post race
Warm down:

Tried to eat some muffin and kept drinking water. The post race gatorade was gross. Had a hard eating anything for the next 5 or 6 hours. But once the appetite came back, had a burger and then Pei Wei a couple hours later.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I needed more fuel before the race I think. Maybe some oatmeal or a power bar. Was dissappointed in my run performance but at least I finished.

Event comments:

After breaking my chain during my last try at this race in October, I was just glad to finish. I have a barometer now and know what I need to work on. Plan on racing in October's Fat Tire.

Last updated: 2005-06-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:07 | 750 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/20
Overall: 0/113
Performance: Average
Suit: No Wetsuit
Course: Single loop - rectangular shape. Counterclockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:13:23 | 10 miles | 8.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/20
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Mountain Bike course with lots of hills and some nasty decents. Two loops of about 5 miles each.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Bad
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:35:37 | 05 kms | 07m 07s  min/km
Age Group: 12/20
Performance: Bad
Course: Part trail run through Papago Park and then sidewalk the rest of the way.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-06-13 6:22 PM

Subject: Fat Tire Triathlon #2

2005-06-13 9:18 PM
in reply to: #174212

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Subject: RE: Fat Tire Triathlon #2
Nice work on your first completed tri - these off-road animals are a little tricky!!!Good work,Dennis
2005-06-14 10:09 AM
in reply to: #174323

Thanks Dennis! When I decided to enter a triathlon, I didn't realize that these offroad types even existed so it worked out nicely for the kind of bike I have. I'm planning on a buying a road bike in the next year so I can become fully converted.

Travis
2005-06-14 9:34 PM
in reply to: #174553

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Travis,Don't get rid of your mountain bike - they are a great change of venue, especially in the winter, when it is too wet and cold to go riding on the street. Plus, an off-road tri or two really helps keep your bike handling skills sharp!See ya,Dennis
2005-06-14 10:23 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Fat Tire?  Like, the beer?????  Why wasn't I invited?
2005-06-15 8:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Mesa, AZ
Great race, I can relate to your mantra "it is faster if you run!" that what I tell myself on all of my races.

2005-06-15 9:50 AM
in reply to: #175002

Good call there. Thanks for the advice and support.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fat Tire Triathlon #2 Rss Feed