United States
91F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 51m 11s
Overall Rank = 708/1434
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 32/72
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:45 am. Ate 1/2 a plain bagel, 1 banana, 1 pria total nutrition bar, 1 32 oz water. Arrived at race site at 6:00 am and set up transition. Then walked around and met up with family and friends I was racing with.
Event warmup:

Not really any other than a couple of strokes once my swim wave entered the water.
Swim
  • 39m 49s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was in the 10th swim wave to start, so it was around 8:10-8:15 am when I actually started. The air temp was already in the 80s. This made me a little nervous waiting around so long.

Once I finally started, the first 200-300 yards was a little crowded and I was not comfortable at all. I actual questioned my ability to do the race. But then I reminded myself to go bouy to bouy and just relax. After the 3rd bouy I was into a groove and feeling much better. but any time I tried to draft, I either was too close or the other person and I ended up swimming in different directions. The first 5 bouys were easy to sight but then after the turn, my sighting went out the window. It didn't help that the caps for my wave were the same dayglow orange as the bouys. It also felt like a bit of current against us on the perpendicular leg. The last leg into the shore was easier, but the boat ramp exit was a little tight with piers on either side.

Overall, it seemed like everyones times were a little slow for this swim, so I guess I don't feel too bad. I also came out of the water feeling good and ready to ride. (Other than a headache, which I attribute to the lack of caffeine for 3 days)
What would you do differently?:

Work on sighting and drafting. Realize that the first 200-500 yards are always going to be nerve racking and not to get too upset and question my own ability.
Transition 1
  • 03m 57s
Comments:

I ran from swim exit to transition while removing cap/goggles and then unzipping wetsuit. Took rest of wetsuit off at bike. took extra time to reapply sunscreen. put on socks, shoes, helmet, glasses and gloves. and did a double check of bike for everything. then ran out of transition with bike. mounted at mount line without problem.

felt like i could have gone 30sec-1min faster, but wanted to be sure I was not forgetting anything.
Bike
  • 3h 00m 20s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.63 mile/hr
Comments:

Started bike and immediately took 2 tylenol for the headache. Focused on keeping cad up and getting hydrated/nutrition during the first 10 miles. Then worked keeping a good pace during the headwinds. I think all the training in the new england winds paid off. I was able to pass quite a few during gusts. But around 26, my lower back began to hurt so I would stretch out of the saddle then return to aero. (I think this is due to the fact that I have not done a swim then run work out. - something to work on). Able to spend the last 5 miles at 95 cad preparing legs for run.

Drank 4 large bottle gu2o, 2 gus, 2 clifshots, 3 endurolyte tabs

Overall I felt really comfortable on the bike.

Need to do some weight training for the back and drink my 1 cup of coffee on race day.
Transition 2
  • 03m 16s
Comments:

Felt good but once again took time to reapply sunscreen, changed socks to dry pair, drank some h2o, put on hat/shoes and the run out of transition.

nothing really, too hot to go without sunscreen.
Run
  • 2h 03m 51s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

Hot as He**! I knew I would have to keep myself in check and reduce my pace. I carried a water bottle - which was the best decision i made all day. My game plan was to run to every waterstop and then take 2 glasses of h2o to dump on head. Take 1 glass ice and add it to water bottle or put in down my shirt. worked real well!! Then when the bottle started to get low, took 1 gatorade and 1 water and mixed into bottle. Worked real well. At mile 5 decided to have a drink of coke, tasted great. So changed game plan to drink a coke at every other stop as a reward for running except for water stops. Felt really strong and well hydrated. But at around mile 10.5 had a weird eye issue so I stopped to walk and tried to drink more. Walked about .25 to .5 mile. Eye issue resolved itself so I continued to run. Sprinted the last .1. Finished strong.

Race in a cooler climate. I stock with my strategy and adjusted as need be. Bring endurolyte tabs on run (i forgot then at the transition)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, cheered on other finishers, waited and cheer all of friends and family into their finished

What limited your ability to perform faster:

weather

Event comments:

Overall, this was a great race. I way out did what I anticipated to do for the weather and overall goals. I really did well with saying within myself and my own race. I would not let myself calculate any times during the race. On the run, I only looked at my watch at the turn around so I had no idea that I was going to break 6 hours. I finished feeling strong and feel like I will be able to resume training later this week. 708/1434 (Overall), 157/375 (female)

It was so much fun to race with family (husband, sister and brother-in-law) and friends (Brad and Kristin). I really can not wait for the next race and I am even more excited/motivated for training for IM Moo

Last updated: 2005-01-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:49 | 2112 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 35/72
Overall: 0/1434
Performance: Average
Suit: Ironman Instinct Long John
Course: sort of a triangle. 5 bouys out, then a short perpendicular leg, then another leg into shore
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:57
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:00:20 | 56 miles | 18.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 37/72
Overall: 72/1434
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: nice flat course that went out for about 10 miles before starting a 36 mile loop then back the 10 miles. Winds of about 20 mph on the first half of the course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:16
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:03:51 | 13.1 miles | 09m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/72
Overall: 72/1434
Course: An out and back. First 2 mile section along the water and then the rest on long flat, hot roads. VERY HOT. NOT MUCH SHADE.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-13 6:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
Subject: Eagleman 1/2 Ironman

2005-06-13 9:12 PM
in reply to: #174228

User image

Veteran
Bowie, MD
Subject: RE: Eagleman 1/2 Ironman
You really had an incredible race!!!
I'm sorry we didn’t get to meet up also. There is always next year
2005-06-13 10:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

What an incrediable effort Heidi!! Under 6 hours, and feeling strong.... simply ...WOW!

Wonderful to be able to do it with family and friends. You raced your own race and really rocked it - hope you are still smiling today.

2005-06-14 7:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
Great job - weather conditions are just part of this sport - you did well!
2005-06-14 10:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
awesome race! you looked like you just went for a short jog. 3 more months and we tackle MOO!
2005-06-14 12:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Albert
Under six hours!!! Amazing! Great race - I hope you are proud of yourself

2005-06-14 8:32 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Great race. The humidity around here just sucks the life out of you. Way to break 6 hours.
2005-06-15 7:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
Thank you all for your great comments and support. It was a great race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Eagleman 1/2 Ironman Rss Feed