General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Intermediate IM Plan - on the right track? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-07 2:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
Subject: Intermediate IM Plan - on the right track?

I am currently following the Intermediate IM Plan and am about 10 weeks out from IMSA. I can swim 3800 in under an hour; I ran 22km in two hours, and had a 80 mile / 4 hours ride this week. However, I do not think I could have put a three together, espically bike 4 and then run 2. Which begs the question, what will happen when I will have to bike 6 and run 4!

I realize that the distances in the plan start to pick-up, but would welcome some feedback from those who have used the Intermediate IM Plan. What are your experiences with the plan? Did it prepare you well? Or, were you left short?

Another question, I manage to hit about 85 to 90 percent of workouts in the plan (travel / work gets in the way). Am I behind the curve, because I am not doing 110% of the program?

I hope that I am on the right track.

2010-02-07 8:00 AM
in reply to: #2659458

Veteran
Subject: RE: Intermediate IM Plan - on the right track?
It sounds like you are doing great with the plan! 90-95 percent is a high percentage to follow a plan, especially with life's curves. Plus, keep in mind these are GUIDELINES. You should adjust workouts if needed to fit your body and your lifestyle. You are at the point where most plans really ramp up the mileage and/or intensity. With the workouts you are describing it sounds like you will have plenty to do well. One thing. TAPER WELL. That is where you get all the benefits of your hard training. Probably the most neglected part of racing. Good Luck!
2010-02-14 10:00 AM

Expert
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
You are doing great...Its the sum total of your training that gets you ready for race day, not one particular workout.   Just keep staying consistent.   Race day will be awesome, you will do it.
2010-02-14 12:51 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

As long as you race consistent with your training, the plan works!  (I mostly followed it last year for IMCdA. )  If you felt good after a 4-hour 20 mph ride, you'll be OK after a 5.5 hour 20 mph ride. Where you'd get in trouble is trying to do a 5 hour 22 mph ride during the race.  The other place people get into trouble is trying to "bank time" or "make up time."  It's real tempting to push the early part of the bike because maybe you were 2 minutes slower than you expected coming out of the water...Don't.do.it! 

I'd say doing 90% is a much better strategy than trying to do 110%.  The real benefit of the plans are to keep you from getting injured. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Intermediate IM Plan - on the right track? Rss Feed