General Discussion Triathlon Talk » fuel belt or aid stations? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-13 11:10 PM

User image

New user

St. Albert, Alberta
Subject: fuel belt or aid stations?
Looking for a little advice on running hydration for a half IM. I'm racing in Victoria this coming weekend (my first HIM distance). There are aid stations available about every mile. I'm wondering whether I should just use the aid stations or strap on a fuel belt? Any thoughts?

thx.
Trev

2005-06-14 11:41 AM
in reply to: #174378

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
Subject: RE: fuel belt or aid stations?
With aid stations every mile, you should be fine either way ...that being said, I never leave home w/o my fuel belt b/c I am a heavy sweatter and use the fuel belt more to cool my body temp down than anything and then use the aid stations for my hydration
2005-06-14 12:06 PM

Champion
I'd much rather use my own fuel belt or something similar for a couple of reasons. First, the race organization may not be using a fluid replacement that you can tolerate. I can't stand Cytomax, and they were using that in this past weekend's 1/2 marathon. Second, I can never seem to get enough to drink by just taking what's offered in paper cups. The only way I can get full use of it is to stop and drink at each aid station. Often times I'm not willing to do that since it interrupts my running pace. I carry a full 20 oz. bicycle bottle in a fanny pack for both Olympic and 1/2 IMs. That way I can carry what I want and drink it when I want without relying on the spacing of aid stations. The 20 oz. bottle gets me through, and I might grab a water cup or two along the way as well. If it's hot I keep pouring water over my head at each aid station. It helps keep me cooler and my heart rate down.
2005-06-14 12:09 PM

User image

New user

St. Albert, Alberta
excellent advice as always... thanks all. fuel belt it is.
2005-06-14 12:29 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
At a minimum, why not have the fuel belt loaded and ready to go in T2?  If you feel well hydrated off the bike - you would have the option of leaving it in T2.  Myself?  I carry it with me!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » fuel belt or aid stations? Rss Feed