Out-Loud.org
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 09m
Overall Rank = 611/623
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 52/53
Pre-race routine:

Had trouble sleeping the night before - nerves. Finally snoozed off around midnight. Was packed and ready to rock as soon as I got up.
Event warmup:

Short jaunt on the bike from the parking lot to the transition area. Stretched my arms and met my fellow BT'ers.
Swim
  • 28m 23s
  • 880 yards
  • 03m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was a little frightened by a swim of this length to begin with - probably what kept me up the night before. I did two things wrong I think:
1) Did not fix on a shoreside object to help me keep oriented. I ended up taking the first turnwide and had to double back to get on track again.

2)Took a solid breast stroke kick to the right temple at the turn as people bunched up and I got completely disoriented, throbbing headache. This was the worst I've ever felt in the water - it took my cap and goggles off. It took everything I could to finish. I think the adrenaline carried me through.

What would you do differently?:

1) Need to walk the course the day of or night before. RGRBill and OLDAG92 had the right idea.

2) Practice more open water swimming.
Transition 1
  • 04m 9s
Comments:

I literally took a minute in T1 to collect myself. My head was throbbing and I was still not quite right when I got on the bike.

Bought a pair of Tri shorts TODAY. Will practice with them. I spent all of 2 minutes changing into my cycling jersey and shorts. Some people came in and out before I had even finished changing my shorts.
Bike
  • 48m 2s
  • 13 miles
  • 16.24 mile/hr
Comments:

Started off in a nice high cadence - was making 85+, but didn't pace myself - tried to keep my gear ratio too high on the flats and my cadence (and eventual speed suffered). Headache was still pounding in my skull and whenever I got my HR up, it got worse. So, I'd back off - and with my gearing too high, I wasn't making any sort of speed.

Saw where a few cyclists got caught in the concrete seams at the turn - fortunately I did not get my wheel caught.

Should have backed off my gearing instead of trying to kill it when I had the wind with me. Did not ride smart - should have spun more instead of getting mad at myself and trying to muscle a higher gear.
Transition 2
  • 04m 34s
Comments:

Was disoriented from the ride - seriously thought about stopping and getting my head checked. Took another full minute to change. I knew I was not right because I was making stupid mistakes - putting on shoes before shorts and other BS - ugh.

Make an offering to the humidity gods to be gentle on me at my next triathlon.
Run
  • 43m 53s
  • 3 miles
  • 14m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

All my running work - my dreams of maintaining a 12 min/mile pace - gone - I was a wreck and happy to just finish strong.

Should have encouraged the 14 year old little girl I passed (the ONLY person I passed on the run). I felt bad for her - she was jogging and crying at one point on the course.

Post race
Warm down:

Got to meet everyone at the finish line - Tiger Phil, RGRBill, Oldag92, Freeswimmingfish, Louis Velasquez and Cmikul. Got a tepid hug from my girlfriend as I was so sweaty and tried to stretch out a little as I started to cramp IMMEDIATELY after the run.

Thanks guys for cheering me on at the back of the pack!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wear a helmet when I swim next time.

Shoudl do more brick work. I did not do one between tri's. Also need to do some weight lifting - felt very weak in my upper body.

Event comments:

Good course - I felt safe on the course and there were plenty of volunteers. Oh - yeah, on the run course a rain ditch had the BEWARE ALLIGATORS sign... Had I known that ahead of time, I might have swum faster. No ant attacks. Bike course could have used a sign about the concrete seams - might have saved 3 or 4 people from going down.
Overall though - a good fun course.

Last updated: 2005-04-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:23 | 880 yards | 03m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 51/53
Overall: 612/623
Performance: Bad
Avg. HR 131 Settled in to a good pace for me until I got bonked on the head!
Suit: Baggy Swim Trunks
Course: Out and back swim course in New Territory's neighborhood lake. Abt. a 5 ft. outcropping of concrete gave way to a mucky bottom and a steep drop off. Course jogged a little, but not badly.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 04:09
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:48:02 | 13 miles | 16.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 44/53
Overall: 561/623
Avg. HR 144 Still not right after the swim.
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back bike loop down the grand parkway (HWY 99) - Within first 3 miles had 2 very gentle slopes (wouldn't call them hills). Curiously, the bike portion was on the left lane (fast lane) of the highway - saw lots of USAT Marshalls and course was well controlled with constables at every intersection.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 75+
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:34
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:43:53 | 03 miles | 14m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 52/53
Overall: 612/623
Avg. HR 156 This was my highest segment - couldn't get it very high as my head just punished me.
Course: Pretty, shaded course around the neighborhood. Out and back, over a little wooden bridge, then out and back again. Didn't like running on the sidewalk - up and downcurbs and at odd angles - stayed in the street at one point.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-14 8:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: Tejas Triathlon

2005-06-14 10:29 AM
in reply to: #174479

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Subject: RE: Tejas Triathlon
Great job overcoming adversity Gomez...see you at the next one!!
2005-06-14 2:56 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Lot's of people would have tanked after that kick to the head. Especially when you're already in a challenging environment like that. Way to go man. You had a great race. See you next time!
2005-06-14 3:33 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Yikes!!! That kick to the head sounds like no joke. Hope you're 100% recovered, and congratulations on finishing strong anyway! All of you guys rock.

-CitySky, new BT'er in Houston

PS: From these Tejas Tri reports, it looks like the Houston BT contingent includes a lot of larger, male people. As a smaller, female person... I'm totally cool with that, because if we ever meet up in person, y'all will make me look more "petite!" All 5-foot-3 of me. With shoes. Ha!
2005-06-14 3:34 PM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
Dude, I am so proud of you for finishing. I think I would have quit. It was great meeting you. see ya soon.
2005-06-14 3:42 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas

Celeste,

Yes, we are all big, burly, tarzan types (he he he).  Seriously, it was kind of neat to have almost all of the BTers at Tejas in the Clyde division.  We had a great time.

Welcome to the insanity....you'll love it!

Brandt

2005-06-14 10:28 PM

User image

Expert
San mateo California
Hey my man...  Great race despite the hit in the head....  Anybody can finish....  finishing with pain is a great accomplishment.   I am glad i got the chance to meet you...  You guys are amazing....  
Congratulations.... 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tejas Triathlon Rss Feed