Columbia Triathlon Association
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 26m 27s
Overall Rank = 440/1436
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 34/83
Pre-race routine:

woke up at the day's inn (where bob barker once slept!) ~4:45. ate power bar bites and clif bar and loaded the car to get on the road. set up the transition area and went to the bathroom. grabbed wetsuit and went to the water. did not warm up at all and put on the wetsuit on the beach.
Swim
  • 42m 53s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

water was perfect. except for an occasional gas smell, it tasted fine and chop was fine. the start was not hectic at all and i wish i mixed it up a little more so that i could find someone to draft off of. i started a little wide to avoid the rush and before i knew it i felt all alone out there. i had to sight for myself, so i wish there were more buouys. once i got closer to one i sighted and rounded them very well, but when i was far i had a hard time aiming for the next one. time/pace was right on plan.
What would you do differently?:

unless i've just been lucky, i think the swim horror stories are overrated. i should get a little more involved so i can draft more effectively.
Transition 1
  • 03m 44s
Comments:

nothing really exciting. t1 went well.
Bike
  • 2h 57m
  • 56 miles
  • 18.98 mile/hr
Comments:

course was pancake flat, but wind was unrelenting. headwind for more than half the time (if that is even possible). i rode my new bike and felt pretty fast, but position isn't totally comfortable yet. the brochure for the bike states that it is "invisible to the wind", but amazingly enough that claim is null and void as soon as someone sits on the bike. new bike or not, i am not a fan of headwinds.
as soon as i started, i realized my bike computer was not working. i thought about stopping to work on it, but decided not to take the time. so... my entire bike leg was one long math problem trying to figure out my average speed. just when i was starting to lose spirits a little from the headwind, i caught cpjohnson. we chatted for a minute and i was ready to take on the second half.

i like the bike leg and consider myself an ok biker, but i was well below the average pace of my age group. i am happy with my bike time (which was slightly faster than my goal), but those other guys can fly. i guess i shouldn't really care, but it is pretty amazing.
also, if i am going to ride that bike long distances, i need to work more on bike fit.
Transition 2
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

i considered taking my shoes off while riding since i have been practicing and can do it pretty well now. in the end i decided the :04 seconds wasn't worth the gamble. i doubt i would fall, but sometimes my shoe pops off and i have to go back and grab which costs me longer than stopping anyway.
Run
  • 1h 40m 13s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

ok. this was not planned. i felt good off the bike and when i looked at the time starting the run, i realized my goal of 6:30 was almost certain and if i could manage my goal of 10 min/miles, i would have a shot at 6:00. feeling good i decided to just get comfortable and see what happened.
the first mile took 10:30! what the f?!?! no problem, keep going. went to the bathroom and had a gu and mile 2 was still a little faster. missed mile marker 3 and when i hit mile 4, i realized mile marker 1 must have been off because i was now sub 9:00 miles. from there on i just leapfrogged with some woman and the two of us flew through the field. the only pain i felt was a little in my knees and the heat and neither of them would be any better if i slowed down, so i pushed it all the way to the finish. i jogged through the aid stations taking a mouthful of water and pouring the rest over my head and then sprinted the rest. the course itself was pretty boring, but i had a ton to keep me interested. saw most of the pro women coming in and many friends (natedogg, cpjohnson, kristin, and guy from my local tri shop). also, part of the run joined the bike course so i got to watch bikes go by as well (i can watch nice bikes all day).
in my wildest dreams i didn't plan on that run, but it happened. i know i'm nit much of a swimmer, but i guess i need to come to the realization that i am a better runner than biker.

nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

waited :25 for a hose shower and then stretched on the sidelines waiting for friends to come in. we had 6 people sign up and 6 people finish. that to me was a greater feeling than any time i could put put. out of those 6, we had a guy who hasn't swam 1.2 miles in TOTAL training, a woman who couldn't swim a lap when she started training, and my wife who couldn't run a mile and we ALL finished. seeing my wife round the final turn with time to spare will be a feeling i'll never forget. it was an amazing day. we have 3 signed up for IM MOO and i hope it is more of the same.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

heat and lack of funding from a major sponsor causing me to work for a living and limiting my training.

Event comments:

if you can handle the heat and winds of the course, it is an awesome race. expo was the best i have seen (not that i have seen many) and very well organized.

Last updated: 2005-05-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:53 | 2112 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 61/83
Overall: 0/1436
Performance: Good
Suit: farmer john
Course: out around a few buouys and then back to shore at different point.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:44
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:57:00 | 56 miles | 18.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 66/83
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: big loop through nature reserve.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:40:13 | 13.1 miles | 07m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/83
Course: flat out and back
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-06-14 10:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: Eagleman 1/2 Iron

2005-06-14 10:27 AM
in reply to: #174546

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: Eagleman 1/2 Iron
Amazing race! You have a tough age group, that's for sure. That run is unbelievable. And good job not letting the bike computer problem get to you.
Jessica
2005-06-14 10:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
You are da man!
2005-06-14 12:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Albert
Wow - Great Job!
2005-06-17 3:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
You must have been thinking that if you finished faster that buffett would come sooner. Although that's not the case, your race was awesome. Bike pace of nearly 19mph and a 13th AG finish in the run....crazy man. Congrats, but i'll still give you a hard time every time you try to down play your mad skillz!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Eagleman 1/2 Iron Rss Feed