General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin 305 battery question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-12 10:26 AM

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: Garmin 305 battery question
I have a Garmin 305 that has always treated me pretty well other than a few minor software bugs.

I am training for my first IM this year & have always been under the impression that my battery will not last through an entire IM (even just bike & run) at least at my pace.

I had thought about getting the new Garmin 310xt for it's longer battery life but hate to drop $400 for a new one when this 305 still works pretty good. I guess the 310xt being waterproof is cool but I really can't imagine open water swimming very often with the thing stuck under my cap as is suggested.

I tried a test of the Garmin 305 battery and it is still going at almost 16 hours but that has been inside. I know outside with GPS on it is going to go down faster but I don't know how fast. Has anybody fully tested battery life on Garmin 305 or had experience with one in IM?

If I can get all of my IM ride ( I use it as my bike computer) and most of my run in with it, that'll be fine. I doubt I am really going to care what my pace is in that last hour or so.

It would be fun to have the track of the entire IM to look at but is it $400 worth of fun?

2010-02-12 2:32 PM
in reply to: #2669821

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Garmin 305 battery question

If you are not concerned of a few seconds, then first acquire the satellites in the morning, power off, put the Garmin in your T1 bag or on the bike.  Power on the Garmin when in T1 to reacquire. (Or if you have a friend assisting at the bike, have them power on the Garmin for you).
Another thing that will suck the battery life is leaving the backlight function on (that draws quite a bit), and utilizing additional functions like the HR monitoring.

I did the above, using only the HR monitor function, speed, time, distance, and GPS.  If I had to, I checked the display when I got under some lights along the route on the run.

Good luck at your race!

2010-02-12 3:00 PM

User image

You also don't need GPS in an IM as the distances are noted on the bike and run course, and you can figure out pace fromt hat. That will save some battery time
2010-02-12 9:53 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

I haven't done it but have read about it other places and read a recent post on BT or ST that mentioned the use of something made by Energizer called Energi To Go, that has a battery with a mini USB plug.  They may be used to power cell phones and other electrical items.  Either way use that on the 305 during the bike and you'll be fine for the run.  Or you can try my method and get your wife or SO into triathlon and borrow theres for one of the legs, but I think that cost me more in end

http://www.energizer.com/products/energi-to-go/cell-phone-charger/Pages/cell-battery-charger.aspx

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin 305 battery question Rss Feed