General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength/weight loss question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-13 6:24 PM

Subject: Strength/weight loss question
As i am just about to start with working on building up my endurance by starting the conservative "couch to 5k" plan, i have a problem i am trying to get my head around.
Well, i am a 46 year old married guy, 5ft 2' and a small build. I have always had trouble putting on weight for years, usually weighing around 106 to 112lbs, and to be honest it took me along time to be comfortable with my stature. Using weights when i was younger never really seemed to work, probably down to my diet, lifestyle and wanting immediate results.
I am making an appointment with my doctor to discuss training as i suffered with bad asthma as a child, but now it is not so much a problem and up until about twelve years ago i was fairly active with martial arts training and a bit of mountain biking. The job i have done for the last 25 years means that i am on my feet all day.With getting myself fitter i want to be able to set myself goals and have a target to aim for, so i want to be able to enter my first tri in 2011.
Now the last couple of years i have began to put on a bit of weight, most of it around my waist, so i now weigh 126lb.

So the question is how can i combine a basic strength training regime with the running?. I want to be able to lose the weight, but also build up strength as well. I know the cardio and the strength training can oppose each other, so is there a way of balancing the two.

2010-02-13 8:01 PM
in reply to: #2671715

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Strength/weight loss question
I'm not an expert, but I don't think your goals are directly opposed.  Your cardio work will help you cut fat.  Eating right will contribute to weight loss, general fitness, and strength.
2010-02-13 8:01 PM

User image

Expert
There are 4 goals to working out; losing weight, gaining muscle and strength, increasing endurance, improving health. Unfortunately, you can do 3 of these concurrently, but not all 4 effectively. For example, with strength training, you can increase your muscle mass and strength, lose weight and improve your health, but not help your triathlon skills. If you go the cardio endurance training, you can lose weight, improve your health, prepare yourself for triathlons but lose muscle mass. If you try to gain strength, lose weight and increase endurance at the same time, you cannot do all 3 effectively.

Edited by greyg8r 2010-02-13 8:04 PM
2010-02-13 8:24 PM
in reply to: #2671806

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
greyg8r - 2010-02-13 10:01 PM   If you try to gain strength, lose weight and increase endurance at the same time, you cannot do all 3 effectively.

But this can be done, and is a good way to improve overall fitness. Richard, am I right to say that you are suggesting adding strength workouts will slow the rate of your triathlon fitness gains but won't eliminate them?

I would suggest that if you have time for both tri training and strength training, then that is the best route to overall fitness, just not the quickest route to the triathlon podium.          
2010-02-13 9:20 PM
in reply to: #2671837

User image

Expert
blairrob - 2010-02-13 8:24 PM

greyg8r - 2010-02-13 10:01 PM   If you try to gain strength, lose weight and increase endurance at the same time, you cannot do all 3 effectively.

But this can be done, and is a good way to improve overall fitness. Richard, am I right to say that you are suggesting adding strength workouts will slow the rate of your triathlon fitness gains but won't eliminate them?

I would suggest that if you have time for both tri training and strength training, then that is the best route to overall fitness, just not the quickest route to the triathlon podium.          

That is what I am saying. Strength training has lots of benefits and I incorporate strength training because I am not a full-time triathlon. My strength training takes away from my sbr training but is beneficial to me. I do triathlons as a hobby and as a motivator to stay in shape. If I had sufficient time and energy, I would do sbr training and strength training. Personally, I would never give up strength training because of the health benefits of strength training that you don't get from sbr training.
2010-02-14 8:36 AM

User image

Expert
Fountain Hills, AZ
After two years of triathlon racing, I have just started strength training and really enjoy it, although I only strength train about 6X per month, and focus on tri-specific exercises. I can see and feel the results, and they complement my aerobic training. I'm hooked ... there won't be a dilemma once you start. Good luck.

2010-02-14 9:56 AM

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
Last year I did a fair bit of lifting, and found that while I saw benefits from it, it took away from my tri training alot.  Your body can only recover from so much training.  throw 2 or 3 hours of lifting a week into the mix and basically thats 2 or 3 less sbr hours you have.  This year I want to do a HIM and the reality is that I cannot continue to lift as much and expect to put in the hours needed to get to the HIM level.  There is just not enough recovery time.  I am going to change my strength training to more of a maintenance plan with tri specific exercises.

So you can do both but only to a certain level.  It all depends on what you want to do... if you want to get your weight in control and build some muscle and look good and do shorter distance tris AND you have the time to put in, you certainly can. If you want to look like a body builder and do IMs, its just not going to happen.  
2010-02-14 12:33 PM

Thanks for the advice, i think at the moment i will concentrate on building my endurance, and may incorporate some of the weight training from the basic fitness program.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength/weight loss question Rss Feed