General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim endurance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-14 8:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Fredericksburg, VA
Subject: swim endurance
I have finished a 1/2 ironman in April. For the lake swim i did a combination of breaststroke,
sidestroke, dog paddle and some ugly stuff i made up. I have since taken lessons and am now
swimming 1000 meters 3 times a week. I can only do 50 meters at a time of freestyle and have switched from breathing every 4th stroke to every 2nd stroke. I feel much better but haven't pushed a continuous distance. My endurance sucks! I can easily bike all day and/or run all day. What am I missing in the water?

2005-06-14 8:27 PM
in reply to: #174953

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Subject: RE: swim endurance
I'm probably not the person to ask for swimming advice, but I am MASSIVELY impressed that you did a 1/2 Iron that included a swim like that. I would've been hugging a kayak and calling for my mother. You're awesome!
2005-06-14 8:29 PM

User image

Ontario
Just keep up with your training

I find using a drag suit during training builds incredible upper body strength, then when you switch to your tri or wet-suit, it is almost effortless to swim!

Good Luck and Train Hard!
2005-06-14 8:33 PM

User image

Expert
North Central WV
There are many different drills to improve swim technique and you can find most of them online.

What I advise friends to do when they complain about the same thing is to slow down. Swim at a pace that feels as though you are going backwards. One thing I found out very quickly when I started doing triathlons is that at the start of a race, everyone gets ahead of me in the swim - for about 2 minutes. Then they all stop and I pass most of them. Until you are comfortable with the swim, try not to think of the swim leg as a race. Practice going slow in the pool. I know it will feel wrong at first, but it will make a huge difference. Most non-swimmers think they need to swim hard but it is much better to find your aerobic zone and stay in it. You will enjoy swimming much more if you do this.

I rarely ever "race" during the swim leg - I just don't need to. Slow and steady. I have always breathed every 2nd stroke. If I go 3 or 4, I run out of breath a lot faster. Good luck, and just do a google search for swimming drills. Some of the other people here might be able to direct you to a good website. If all else fails, invest in coach.
2005-06-14 8:35 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
well, i'd say that you should up your distance. 1k at a time is really not all that much...

when i swim longer distances (3k and up) i breathe every 3rd stroke. that works both arms equally and for me, it makes a big difference. i used to breathe every 2nd stroke and that strained my right arm too much.

but the main thing is probably that your style is just not efficient. use the 'search' function. there's tons of threads here discussing swimming in general and your problem in particular.
2005-06-14 8:47 PM

User image

Bellevue, WA/Chicago, IL
totally just work on endurance like you would with anything else. If you're only up to 50's at a time, work on going to 75's, then 100's, finally just keep making your way up to 400+ It's not going to happen overnight and it might not even happen this season, but keep with it and you'll gain the endurance you need.

But honestly, MASSIVE props to you for doing that half ironman...I bet the swimming was seemingly forever, but you did it. That's awesome -- and inspiring (so now I have less of a reason not to do a half-iron :-P )

2005-06-14 8:52 PM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
Freaky that you can make it through a 1/2 IM and only do 50m freestyle at a time....still, you hired a coach which is the right thing to do, so presumably you now know basic form and technique....just add time in the pool...it will come....In January I could barely complete a 50, now, I swim a 500 non stop without working too hard....Just keep going, don't stop at 50. Congrats on that 1/2 IM, hell of an accomplishment!
2005-06-14 8:56 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

If you want endurance, you gotta start banging out some longer distances in your sets.  Since you can do 50's, start out doing mostly 50's and add in one 100m distance to your workout.  Continue to take away 50's and add to your hundreds gradually.

Another approach you can take is to start with a rest interval you are comfortable with (ie 30 seconds between your 50's).  Continue to whittle away at that rest interval 3-5 seconds at a time each workout.  Once you get down to something small...say 10-15 seconds.  Convert your 50's to 75's and go back to the original 30 second rest interval.  Keep going up to 100's, 150's...you'll gradually train your body to recover faster with the shorter rest intervals.  When the rest intervals become so short, your body will start thinking its swimming the longer distance.

Regardless...I think your ultimate goal to get some real endurance work should be to go in the 3000 to 3500 range.  Make sure your swim instructor is watching your form too!!!  Bad form will make those laps seems really loooooooong.

Edited by jkbostic 2005-06-14 8:57 PM
2005-06-14 9:05 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago

Let's take a very important step BACK for a second...

first and foremost you should get your freestyle stroke checked BEFORE upping your yardage.  You don't want to do junk yardage and ingrain inefficient mechanics into your stroke...that's counterproductive.

if i had to guess, a couple simple adjustments will dramatically improve your perceived endurance without any endurance work simply by making your stroke more efficient and your swimming more effortless...aka swim further with less effort.

secondly, once that has been accomplished and you are confident you are not reinforcing neuropathways of inefficiency, then Jeff is right on the $$$.  You definately need to gradually increase your time in the water by incorporating a warm up, drill set, main set, and cool down set.

shoot for eventually (about 6-8 weeks from now) doing 3-4 times a week of 2,500 yards with a "long" swim session (still consisting of warm up, drill set, main set, and cool down mind you) of 3,200 yards.

the key to swimming is technique and the key to technique (once learned from an experienced, PROPER swimmer) is to get in the water frequently.

that's my 2 pence.

2005-06-15 7:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Fredericksburg, VA
Thanks all for your help. Yes the 1/2 iron was a little ambitious for my first tri. Yes I was last
out of the water in 1:15. Yes my swim screwed up my bike and run performance. Will I do it again...absolutely. I am starting to think that I'm actually inhaling and exhaling too much volume of air while swimming. I tried calm normal breaths and it helped dramatically.
Does this make sense to anyone?
2005-06-15 9:57 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Kudos to you for finishing the 1/2 iron and not just giving up.

As far as breathing, you should not need to take big gulping breaths (unless you're sprinting).  Also, breathe out as soon as your face is in the water.  If the change in your breathing made you feel better then I would say it was the right thing to do.

A couple of things I'd suggest:
If you have Masters swim in your area, go and join up.  This is the best place, IMO, to improve your swim technique, speed, etc.  They have a coach, so you can get immediate feedback on your stroke/form/whatever.  Usually they welcome all levels of swimmer.  Don't be intimidated by how fast they are.  Swim with them for a while and you will get fast too.

Just start swimming longer at a time without rest at the wall.  Take one breath and go.  If you REALLY can't make it you can always turn over and just kick on your back.  If you can swim 1000, then you can swim 100 of that non-stop.  It's mental more than physical.

If you're swimming 50 and then resting because you are exhausted, then you are probably swimming way to fast.  Slow down.  If you slow down and start feeling like you're sinking, then it's probably a body position issue.

I'd also start working on bilateral breathing.  (Breathe every 3 strokes, so you're breathing on both sides.)  This really helps to balance out your stroke. Everybody has a preferred side to breathe on, so if this is difficult at first don't worry about it.  When I learned, it took me about a year to feel comfortable breathing on both sides.  To start, swim some 50's where you are breathing to the left, instead of the right (or vice versa)  It's going to feel really awkward at first, again this is normal.

Hope any of this helps!

2005-06-16 9:09 AM

User image

Expert
White House, TN

Here's a great program that does what jkbostic talks about:

0 to 1650 in Six Weeks

I worked for almost three months to get a decent stroke, but couldn't do more than 300yds at a crack.  Then I found this and jumped in at week two.  Tomorrow, I'll do my first 1200 yd length ever.  Next Wednesday, I should be poised to do my first mile swim.

Again, as jkbostic said, the key is the intervals between the workouts.  The great thing about the above program is that these intervals are measured in breaths and, believe me, I MILK these breaths.  I take the deepest, longest breaths that I can but even then a 12 breath rest doesn't last much more than 30 sec.

Also, don't feel bound by the program.  I got a little hung up one week and did four days of that week's workout instead of just three.  I'm not so worried about the six weeks as I am about 1650 yds (approx. 1500m), because I'd like to do an Oly this fall, if I can get my yardage up and feel comfortable at that distance.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim endurance Rss Feed