General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Just Registered For My First Sprint Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-16 2:52 PM

User image

Regular
Jacksonville
Subject: Just Registered For My First Sprint Distance Triathlon
The race isn't until July, but the transition logistics have me scared.  How do I drop off and pick up my bike?  Do I just throw on a shirt and my shoes after the swim, or should I change out of my trunks into some shorts?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

2010-02-16 4:57 PM
in reply to: #2675974

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Just Registered For My First Sprint Distance Triathlon
Get there early.  Especially early if this is your first time and are nervous.  I try to get there at least an hour early.  I would suggest 90 minutes for you since it's the first time and all.

Bring ALL your stuff to compete in.  They should have a corral where all the bikes are set up.  Sometimes you will have an assigned spot, most of the time, probably not.  Just pick a spot and hang up your bike and set up transition.

Try not to spread out too much.  You should fit EVERYTHING in a spot that's about 18" wide, IMO.  (There is a transition tips article on BT).

After you are set up, you will eventually head to the water (pool or OWS).  Obviously, do the swim, then head to the bike.  Don the helmet and run with your  bike out of transition (make sure you find out where the exit is!).  Get on and ride.

Upon returning, dismount PRIOR to the transition area (they will let you know, so just listen to the volunteers).  Run with your bike back to your area.  Rerack it and head out for your run.  The bike will be safe and waiting for you to finish!

I'm 99% sure you will NOT have a chance to change out of your swim suit.  They don't have changing areas.  If I were you, I would invest in a pair of tri shorts.  They are basically bike shorts with minimal padding that you can also swim and run in.  If on a budget, I might throw some shorts over the suit.  But tri shorts are the way to go, and they are not THAT expensive.

Enjoy the race and post race activities!  Your bike will be plenty safe.

This is your typical race.

I hope this helps and what you were asking for.

Good luck!

Edited by Kido 2010-02-16 5:00 PM
2010-02-17 6:56 AM
in reply to: #2675974

User image

Regular
Jacksonville
Thanks for the tips, especially the tri-shorts.  I knew something like that existed I just didn't know the name.  I was asking clerks for old-school bike shorts without padding and they would look at me like I was asking them why water's wet.
2010-02-19 10:46 AM
in reply to: #2676841

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
i am a fellow newb... i've got 2 different pairs of tri shorts off of ebay and like them both... let me know if you're interested and i'll post links for you to check them out.-w
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Just Registered For My First Sprint Distance Triathlon Rss Feed