General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ultra marathon/Gear question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-03-15 2:41 PM
in reply to: #2678375

Subject: RE: Ultra marathon/Gear question
Another round of great advice. Did some training with the single bottle and routed my way by some delis. Works perfectly!

Investing in a Nathan HPL for trail training, but I like the idea of doing that in loops as well. Thanks again!

Hopefully I'll have questions about running a Hundred next season

2010-03-20 5:18 PM
in reply to: #2678375

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
When I was doing ultras I really liked to wear a waist pack with single or double bottles, and usually carry a handheld or two. Also in the 50 milers I did I left drop bags with changes of socks/shoes. I hate the feeling of something hanging on my shoulders/back - even a sweaty pony tail was a pain in ultras, so I'd wear pigtails.

There were several races where the handheld bottles acted as nice bumpers for my hands when I tripped on rocks and fell :-)

For training, I rarely ran more than a 20 miler unsupported, and would set up a loop course or place where I could pass by my car/aid station. To train longer, I'd sign up for a 50K and use it as a training run. At that time (10 years ago) they were small enough and cheap enough that I could get one in every month.

I haven't done one in awhile, but I sure miss that crowd and the aid station food!
2010-03-22 6:41 PM
in reply to: #2684723

User image

Expert
San mateo California
Chooch76 - 2010-02-21 2:08 PM Hey all,

I'm the aforementioned "friend" and all your input has been great so far.  I'm planning on the North Face Endurance 50 in DC, so aid stations should be 4 miles or so. I think my 2 main issues are having water/food for training (my training runs are unsupported...haven't been able to convince my friends)...and I sweat like a broken sprinkler head.

For  training I've used a day-hike backpack, Black Diamond Hollowpoint, since I've been carrying gear (kind of commuter running at the moment) as well as water. I'm cool with the weight, but even in the winter cold, I can tell a backpack is going to be too hot for me, I'm leaning toward a belt.

Anyone have experience with them? Pros/Cons?

Thanks again!

hello Aforementioned "friend"  hope all is well over there.     Personally I don't like backpacks a camelbacks or any belt things.  they are ok for the first few miles,  but after a few hours or so they really become annoying to me at lest.  Some people might not agree and that is OK.  I like the handhelds and like you I sweat like a sprinkler too...  So having aid stations that are between 5 miles I am ok..  If they are longer than that, then I consider a camel back...  (does not happen very often). 

In training what I have done is set up my own aid station (usually my car) or I go and go plant water/food in the trail beforehand.    I have done that several times and it has worked for me.    

Good training...  

L

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ultra marathon/Gear question Rss Feed  

of 2