General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hitting a mental wall in the pool Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-18 9:30 AM

User image

New York
Subject: Hitting a mental wall in the pool

Looking for a little advice, see if anyone can share my misery.

I have recently been getting panicky while doing Time Trials for swimming. I try concentrating on staying relaxed, focusing on pacing, even trying to zone out. But, for some reason, I keep getting this overwhelming fear that I'm going to drown or something, and I can't help but stop. Eventually I give up and get out for the day. At first, it would happen about 200 yards into it, and I thought it must be because I'm going out too fast, so I worked on pacing during the first half. Then, today, I got to about 850 when I just flipped out, only 150 yards to go!

I should add that I'm not exactly a beginner when it comes to swimming. I have been swimming since I was about 5 years old and was on swim team into high school. There are definitely faster people than me, but I don't feel like I'm struggling in the pool. Not to compare times with anyone else, but my pace for an easy 30 minute swim is about 1:30 per 100. And, I don't feel particularly out of breath (My pace for what I completed today was only 1:30, which just seems discouraging for what I was hoping).

I know this seems like I'm putting a lot of pressure on myself, and I admit that I am. This is all supposed to be fun, and it's not worth hyper-focusing on it. This is just a mental wall that I'm hitting. But, I'm just wondering how to get past it. Anybody else have the same experience?

Thanks

2010-02-18 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2679243

User image

Veteran
Metairie
Subject: RE: Hitting a mental wall in the pool
If it is truly mental, maybe you could gain by not knowing how far you are going.  Have you thought about just getting in and swimming and intentionally losing count?

Just try to swim forever and not pay attention to the distance.  When done, see how many minutes you made it, you should be able to back track and get a distance estimate.  If it really is mental, trick yourself!
2010-02-18 9:58 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
a trick I use to not let "the wall" look quite so insurmountable when I'm swimming for a long time.

I start swimming, and in my head I say 1,1,1,1,1 all the way down, turn and 2,2,2,2 and so on up til' 4. At 4 I click "lap" on my watch and start the cycle over.

It is so mindless, before it's over I've gone a couple of miles... 100m at a time.
2010-02-18 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2679327

User image

New York
Leegoocrap - 2010-02-18 10:58 AMa trick I use to not let "the wall" look quite so insurmountable when I'm swimming for a long time.

I start swimming, and in my head I say 1,1,1,1,1 all the way down, turn and 2,2,2,2 and so on up til' 4. At 4 I click "lap" on my watch and start the cycle over.

It is so mindless, before it's over I've gone a couple of miles... 100m at a time.

I like that. It is definitely (at lease partly) a kind of "trainer syndrome". It's amazing how I can ride for 3 hours on my bike on a nice course, but an hour on the trainer just gets so boring. I'm guessing swimming is the same thing. I haven't had a chance yet to do any major open water swimming, but I will definitely do some when the weather gets better. Thanks.

2010-02-18 10:25 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
You could get a watch that automatically counts laps and again don't keep track yourself, but backtrack after the workout ot find out when exactly 1000 meters fell in the overall swim.  If you are 1:30.... that being way faster than I swim, is probably "good enough" to not worry about gains past that point.  Not that you don't want them, but that anything past 1:30 is gravy.  You are already at what most folks are aiming at so a little slack for you. 

If you do find yourself freeking out, take a few minutes, do some diaphramatic breathing, breathing in through your nose slowly and deeply  1 2 3 4 5 and out through your mouth 1 2 3 4 5, focus on your preferred happy place, let your body become relaxed and warm, letting the tension and all expectation melt away, drop that heartrate back to resting.  If that is not helpful then you can do a progressive muscle relaxation starting with your head and moving down your body towards your toes.  PM me for any detaisl or other techniques etc. 

So distract, let go of expectations, or take a few minutes to use some relaxatin techniques. In tri swiming you are already a rockstar!
2010-02-18 10:46 AM
in reply to: #2679382

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
acerbins - 2010-02-18 10:14 AM
Leegoocrap - 2010-02-18 10:58 AMa trick I use to not let "the wall" look quite so insurmountable when I'm swimming for a long time.

I like that. It is definitely (at lease partly) a kind of "trainer syndrome". It's amazing how I can ride for 3 hours on my bike on a nice course, but an hour on the trainer just gets so boring. I'm guessing swimming is the same thing. I haven't had a chance yet to do any major open water swimming, but I will definitely do some when the weather gets better. Thanks.

If you are getting panicky in the pool, I would worry about open water swimming more, not to mention the washing machine that is a Tri start.  I would want to be over the panic before heading into your local lake, river or ocean.  Make sure you don't swim alone the first time!  Good luck!  There migh tbe good books or online resources to help you get over this.

2010-02-18 12:49 PM

Veteran
Tennessee

When I first seen the subject I thought it said "Hitting a metal wall in the pool". I was going to tell you to find another pool!! Good thing I read it again!

2010-02-18 1:07 PM

Extreme Veteran
This has happened to me a couple times, and when it does I make myself stop, I collect myself, and then I restart the entire TT over.

Luckily, the few times it occurred I had time and the restart allowed me to settle down and complete my workout. Looking back though, I really think that it was more physical than anything, as these episodes seem to happen when I have had a particularly "Fun Weekend" previous to swimming,  or I am not well rested etc.

The one thing I find is that if you can make it through the panic, as hard as it seems, you should settle in and be fine. You just have to fight it, which I think is good mental toughness training!

Best of luck!

2010-02-18 1:14 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
But fight it by calming down your heart rate and nervous system, not by adding more adrenalin to a system that is already too amped up 8).  If you calm down, restart any portion of the swim that is best.  You don't want your body to think that it can make you leave the pool just by freeking out.  Otherwise, just like a naughty child, it will take careful note and manipulate you when it wants to.  You want to avoid the fear of the fear of the anxiety that "might" or might not occur.  Being confident that you can self-calm, reengage and finish what you started will make you less likely to have future episodes. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hitting a mental wall in the pool Rss Feed