General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Starting over again... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-15 11:27 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: Starting over again...
Well, I've been doing this crazy sport since 2001. I had a good time in 2001, and 2002, just learning and getting better. I only did sprint distance because I am so slow on the running. My run splits were longer than my bike splits!

My best year ever was 2003. That year I did a half-marathon, finally started losing the weight (I have a long ways to go) and did my first Oly. For the first time ever, my run was about 5-10 minutes faster than my bike.

Then, some pretty bad personal stuff happened, which totally threw me for a loop. Instead of using my good habits, I stopped working out, started coping by eating too much food/sugar (the source of the original weight issue in the first place.) and spent way too many weekends holed up in my house like an insane hermit.

So, here I am starting over again after about 9 months of completely not doing anything. What's that quote? Something like, if you fall down and stay down, you lose. The man who wins is the one who keeps getting up and getting back in the ring. That's me. Here I am getting up again, and giving it another go.

I have to say, that the energy and cardiovascular fitness is coming back pretty fast, it is true what they say about having a good base. I have that from prior years, and it feels great to be using it again. So, I know a lot, and have learned a lot, just need to consistently apply it to reach my goals. Hopefully, this time everything will come together. Everything is going great so far!

2005-06-15 12:09 PM
in reply to: #175275

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Subject: RE: Starting over again...
Wow, CADreamer, and welcome back! i can relate to you on many levels. running is the hardest part for me too. sugar cravings, check. emotional eating, check. i started 2005 with a 21 day "sugar fast" - no refined sugars at all - which was good for cleaning some of the gunk out of my system and forcing me to find other things to snack on. sometime after that i joined a gym to start swimming again, then bought a bike... then jumped into the triathlon world!

and you are also right that the only one who loses is the one who doesn't get back up.

another good thing to remember when you're starting is that if all you do is put on your shoes, walk out the door, and run/walk/run/walk for 20 minutes, that 20 minutes is 100% more than you would have done if you hadn't put on those shoes and walked out the door. every workout counts. best of luck to you!!!

ps - i'm a bay area native, Oakland originally, but live in TX now. i miss my hometown and my nephsters there! what part of hte Bay Area are you in?
2005-06-15 12:53 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Great to have you back!
2005-06-21 9:04 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
Glad to hear you're getting back on the horse again! Way to get back out there! Sounds like you're on your way to becoming that triathlete you were a few years ago.
Keep us posted.
2005-06-25 7:55 AM

Online or Offline

There's a familiar user name! Welcome back Shellee!

2005-06-25 2:08 PM
in reply to: #183401

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Yep, I'm back, good to see so many of the "regulars" still here... although, man there are a lot of new people!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Starting over again... Rss Feed