General Discussion Triathlon Talk » calories in/calories out vs. what I am eating Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-19 2:00 PM

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
Subject: calories in/calories out vs. what I am eating
I started tracking calories using the daily plate from live strong.com about a month ago. At my weight in after 3 weeks I was down 8 pounds. I'm hoping my Monday weigh in will make it 10 since I started. I believe that as long as I keep this habit going I will be able to keep with it. Having the app on my itouch and looking at an iphone when my plan is up in April has really helped.

I have become fairly anal about tracking my calories in vs. calories out and it seems to be working. I'm also quite happy, never feel hungry and have been enjoying foods I like. My worry is that I'm enjoying foods I like. What I mean is that even though I am watching portion size and making sure I maintain the calorie deficit I want, I am still eating stuff that is not so healthy. It's especially bad on days with long workouts when I get done dinner are realize I still have about 700 calories just to get to my goal intake which is a 1000 calorie deficit. So it's usually off to DQ to fill those calories.

My goal with losing weight and exercising is to make sure I am around to embarrass my children for a long time. Obviously the best thing would be portion control and quality food but am I just fooling myself with the fact that I am losing weight but still eating crap food?

My blood pressure and cholesterol were good at my last physical in December. Is that all I need to worry about?

On a side note. My high, high blood pressure before getting on meds/into triathlon was 154/96. This morning I clocked in at 106/62 with no help from medication (went off them last year). That makes me happy.

2010-02-19 4:00 PM
in reply to: #2682299

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland
Subject: RE: calories in/calories out vs. what I am eating
Obviously you know that DQ is probably not the best choice for eating but as long as it is only once a while I don't see a problem...

But I am wondering though, are you trying to achieve a daily 1000 calorie deficit or a weekly 7000 one.
I started out with 1000 a day but during HIM Training I quickly changed over to 7000 a week as on my one rest day a week my body still craved my usual calorie intake so I had less deficit on that day as well as on lower training days and then made up for it on the higher training days going for a total of 7000 a week.

I also don't know what your calorie intake is right (and BMR) now but I had no problem whatsoever getting to 2000-2500 calories a day in food which gave me around 1000 deficit on high training days only....

Make sure you are not overestimating your calorie burn on your workouts as weightloss might slow down eventually then (first weeks you usually loose lots of water as well so weightloss is higher).

2010-02-20 3:48 AM
in reply to: #2682299

User image

Veteran
, New Jersey
Subject: RE: calories in/calories out vs. what I am eating
Congrats on your success! But why would you "fill in" the caloric gap with garbage? It sounds like you've taken some positive steps, but you're still deluded.

First of all, you should have realistic goals in losing weight and maintaining your health. So many people out there have convinced you that you'll hit some legendary crash in metabolism that you actually believe that you have to hit 1200, or 1500, or whatever "minimum" caloric intake that you'll stagnate if you fall below that. Metabolically, I can assure you that they're all wrong. The "starvation mode" myth was created to combat anorexia...and the weight gain that follows when people make unrealistic changes to their lives but can't sustain them.

If you're satiated on a HEALTHY diet and you have the energy you need to maintain reasonable workouts, PLEASE do not think you need to "fill in" the caloric gaps with junk food, or even good foods. If you plug in the numbers, you'll find that you can sustain your weight loss (and goal weight) just by consuming (and burning off) the number of calories that you should at that goal weight.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » calories in/calories out vs. what I am eating Rss Feed