General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How About Food Allergies? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-15 5:05 PM

Subject: How About Food Allergies?
Anybody here have food allergies? If so how do you deal with it I have to be very careful with my protien shakes and energy bars as I am allergic to Soy, Wheat, Dairy, and Egg Whites. I find it hard to stay on the right foods as I have to take time to prepare everything by hand...Any suggestions would be welcome!

2005-06-15 5:40 PM
in reply to: #175526

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-06-16 9:22 PM

Subject: RE: How About Food Allergies?
I actually use "Rainbow Light Food Based Protein Energizer" It actually contains Rice protein and has Spirulina in it. That is my favorite kind although there are others that have rice protien. In the a.m. I fix oatmeal with protein powder and fiber and mix it up for breakfast. It makes a power packed meal that is fast ...I have to be to work at 6am...Before I found out about my allergies I almost died because they couldn't figure out what was wrong I lost so much weight and started having Kidney, Liver, Gall Bladder problems as well as stomach issues that required very careful attention to supplements and dietary needs to recover from. I am just recovering now and started the training routine about a month ago so I still have to be particular about food thats why the thread. What kind of allergies do you have? Enviromental or medicinal?
2005-06-17 10:10 AM

i have a milk protein allergy so no protein shakes, bars, etc.....i eat real food, inconvenient yes sometimes, but better than heart palpatations, skin rashes and digestive problems....i have lived with it all my life, so its not something i consider really being a problem, not life threatening, just damn inconvenient
2005-06-18 7:52 PM

Extreme Veteran
We are not able to eat soy.  I have wondered what to do as I train more and get more involved in this sport.  It seems like endurance athletes esp rely heavily on soy.  Then it seems that everything you buy in the store has soy or a soy isolate in it.  I cook almost every meal at home and from scratch.  I am really glad to hear about the Rainbow Light Protein Powder...I take their vitamins and I think they make a really good product.  Do you have Celiac's? 
2005-06-18 9:23 PM
in reply to: #177926

I do not have Celiac's. I was tested but I do not. I just get stuffed up when I eat wheat. All the other foods I mentioned make me very sick. I have found two protien bars that do not have soy in them (or any of the other stuff I can't have). I will post again with the actual names when I buy more, unfortunatly I recognize the packages and totally forgot the names; one comes in a shiny blue wrapper and the other a bright yellow they both are pretty tasty. Do you bake your own enery bars some of those are fantastic. I also buy plain rice protien when I can't get rainbow light and add that with honey to my oatmeal(almond slivers and dried apricots make it a perfect quick breakfast). As you well know instant oatmeal is also taboo for those of us with severe soy allergies but you can buy quick oats in bulk and get basically the same thing. Almond milk is awsome if you also stay away from dairy. Just a thought. I would love to know about anything you could suggest as far as special foods you purchase I bet we could help eachother out! Do you have the book "Allergy Cooking With Ease" by Nicolette M. Dumke ? It has really helped me. Looking forward to hearing more!!!!!

2005-06-19 6:18 AM

Extreme Veteran
Thank you for your great response!  I didn't even know they made plain rice proein powder.  You are going to be a wonderful help to me also!!  Yes, I do make my own energy bars but we use wheat.  Of couse I don't know why you couldn't adapt with an alternative flour.  I'll get some recipes together if you are interested!  You said that you get bloated from wheat but you are not allergic to it....makes me wonder if you are not just reacting to the phytates.  Have you tried soaking your grains (including flour) in lemon juice and water overnight?  I know that helps A LOT of people! : )  I can't wait to find out what energy bars you buy.  I make almost everything from scratch but it sure would be nice to have a couple of convience foods!  I'll write more later...Sherri
2005-06-22 11:02 PM
in reply to: #178014

I have not tried soaking the grains but will that work even if I get stuffed up sinuses? That is what happens. I get my nose all stuffed up it seems. i am sorry i still haven't been by the store to pick up more energy bars but when I ahve i will let you know. Do you have any more great info to share? I am looking forward to hearing more. I am soo glad we met!
2005-06-22 11:12 PM
in reply to: #176501

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How About Food Allergies? Rss Feed