General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Women's Tri Club in South Jersey ( need advice) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-22 7:12 AM

Subject: New Women's Tri Club in South Jersey ( need advice)

Hi!  I live in a small town in Southern New Jersey and we are in the throws of starting an all Women's Tri Club. We had our first " kick-off" meeting last week and hadd 55 women show up!  Our goal is to have at least half, of these women complete the SheRox Tri in Philadelphia on August 1st. 

We want to make sure this a a bonafide, credibile club,not just a bunch of women getting together to run.  We have officers in place, we are aware of the USAT sanction and have a registration form and liability.  We are dong some fundraising, T-shirts, meet and greets, happy hours, and of course group runs, swims and bikes.  

My question is:  Do we need to be a "non-profit organization"  .  I am hearing that is the best way to go legally ( several of the women are married to lawyers)  and in regards to USAT do we just pay the $25.00 to register as a agroup or the $200 + option which apparently gives you some type of insurance.   Any advice? 

2010-02-22 9:04 AM
in reply to: #2685331

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
Subject: RE: New Women's Tri Club in South Jersey ( need advice)
I would go non-profit and also look into directors and officers insurance. You need to protect YOU not just the club!
2010-02-22 11:09 AM

Hey there,
this is Michele Redrow, race director of the Philadelphia Women's Triathlon. My first curiosity is if I know any of you guys who started this club? I think this is fantastic and have been trying to get some SJ women together to do this for several years. I am a south jersey native, obviously a triathlete and more so a RD who knows that this market is filled with incredible multisport women.

I would be happy to help you in any way with your club efforts. I am on the USAT MA board and the Chair of the USAT MA Women's Commission - so I have tons of resources. We have free Open Water Swims that start in May in Wenonah -feel free to add to your calendar. I also love to talk and would be happy to come out to one of your meetings.

Lastly I know you have targeted the SheRox for August - very cool but would love to encourage you to have a team at our race as well or come out and volunteer; either way I guarantee a good time!!! We also have a "TEAM UP" page which promotes local triathlon training groups, clubs, etc.

Let me know what I can do!!!
Michele
2010-02-24 8:37 AM

Veteran
South Jersey
I don't know anything about starting a tri club but are you interested in sharing any information about your club for those of us who might be in the area?
2010-02-24 5:59 PM

Good for you Springsteen! I live in Central NJ and really do not have direct answers for your questions but wanted to say way to go. I am sure Michelle can help you.
2010-02-25 11:57 AM

New user

I also live in South Jersey and am wondering if you have a website yet.  I am looking to do my first triathlon this year.  I would love to know more about the tri club.  Thanks!

2010-03-04 7:23 AM

Hi, I have been looking for a women's tri club and this is perfect.  I am a SJ resident and I am already registered for the Philly SheRox Tri in August.  This is my first Tri and I am in great need of the support a club would offer.  If you could please send me the info regarding the club or any info on how to find or contact you that would be great.  Thanks so much and looking forward to hearing from you.  
2010-04-02 8:25 PM
in reply to: #2706603

Hi, I am so sorry for the delay in responding to this. We have been SO busy with our club and I actually forgot I posted on this site.  Well we are offically up and running in Mullica Hill, NJ.  We had our  first official club meeting last night and we are very excited to say that we have 60 women who have signed up for our club!  Most of us are doing SheRox, but several other triathlons this summer as well. We are doing group runs, rides and swims and having 6-7 different workshops this summer.  If you are still interested please email us @ [email protected] and we will send you out a membership application! 
2010-04-02 8:27 PM
in reply to: #2693187

Hi, We are up and running, an official USAT sanctioned club.  We had our first big meeting yesterday, but that is the only beginning of what we have planned.  We currently have 60 paid members....so exciting for a little town in South Jersey.  Please email us @ [email protected] and we will be sure to send you additional information. 
2010-04-02 8:29 PM
in reply to: #2690240

Sure!!!  Please email us at [email protected] and we will send you out all the info.  We have a spectacular summer of training and hands on seminars planned!   
2010-04-02 8:38 PM
in reply to: #2685933

Hi Michelle, 

First, my apologies for not even knowing this post was here.  I am actually a RD as well and I started this club with four other ladies from Mullica Hill, NJ  Through word of mouth and alot of "pep" talks we really got the ball rolling here!  We had our first official meeting last night and we have 60 official members.  We can hardly believe it.  This has all been rolled out in a matter of a few months but I believe we are doing it the correct way  We are USAT sanctioned, we are non-profit and have officers in place as well as signed waivers.   Most of the women in are group are new to triathlons so there we have a lot of workshops planned .   

I am very interested in Open Water Swims in May at Wenonah as I did a lot of them last year.  I did a search on the Web and only saw information from 2009.  I went to Action Wheels today and they did give me some information but anything else you could forward to me would be great.  As you know, most of the anxiety is swimming- and the Skuk just adds to the " panic" factor.     I handed out all of the races last night at our meeting and I did make special mention of the Philadelphia's Women Triathlon- do you have a team category? Kind of disappointed that SheRox doesn't because we are going to have about 40 women from Mullica Hill ( probably wearing our " no nuts, just guts" shirts) and it would have been nice to been catagorized as a team.    I will check out Team Up.  Please email us at  [email protected] and hopefully we can coordinate something.  Sorry for the long email but I am on an emotional high from all of the feedback and great turnout we had last night! 

Thank You! 

Colleen Fossett, MS, RD 

PS- You might now one of my good friends:  Amy Margulies?  fellow RD and triathlete 

2010-04-05 10:17 AM
in reply to: #2765979

Hi Colleen,

I am thrilled you got such a great turnout. I have been saying for years this area needs an all women's triclub..glad it's in my back yard!!!!!

thanks for the plug at your meeting. The Open Water Swim information is posted on the website. It's the same every year. Starts the first thursday in May weather permitting.

Re: our race we do have a team catergory that you simply include on your form when you register.
Definitely send me your info and I'll post on TEAM UP page.
Would love your team to join us at the Philadelphia Women's Tri this year plus those who aren't ready for a tri can do the duathlon.

anything else I can do ...just let me know.

Michele Redrow
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Women's Tri Club in South Jersey ( need advice) Rss Feed