General Discussion Triathlon Talk » improving my very sad swim times Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-25 9:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Ottawa
Subject: improving my very sad swim times
Two months ago I could barely swim 50m without gasping for air and needing a break. Now I can swim for 1500m or so but I am SUPER SLOW. This morning I did a 750m TT and it took me 25 minutes! That's 3:20/100m! I have a sprint in early May with a 750m pool swim. At this rate I'll be the last one out of the pool.

I'm working my way through TI drills, but upon doing a search on these boards I see a lot of folks say TI teaches slow swimming.

Joining a Masters group or hiring a private swim coach are not really options for me at this point. In the fall I took some lessons at the Y, but it was some young kid and he didn't really teach form all that well.

I'm super happy about my increase in endurance, but I definitely want to speed things up. Should I just do intervals? What would that look like? Sprint 100m, rest, then keep repeating that?

Thank-you for any feedback/help

2010-02-25 10:05 AM
in reply to: #2692708

User image

Master
Subject: RE: improving my very sad swim times

TI is good for focusing on your form and technique.
You have to then take the next step and give up a little form and distance per stroke to get speed. The books even mention this.
If you can keep your form solid, work on using more power. Just like on the run or bike, try to use your core to power through the stroke, while keeping your form.

2010-02-25 10:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
Swimming is very hard to power through- it really relies on technique.  Sorry if a coach isn't in the cards now, but if you just try to get faster on your same stroke, you may be getting bad habits even more ingrained...
2010-02-25 11:33 AM
in reply to: #2692805

User image

, Arizona
Lilac J - 2010-02-25 8:06 AM Swimming is very hard to power through- it really relies on technique.  Sorry if a coach isn't in the cards now, but if you just try to get faster on your same stroke, you may be getting bad habits even more ingrained...

x2

When I began learning how to swim last year I couldn't swim over 25m without being completely out of breath. I tried to power through my workouts but it got me nowhere, my largest gains in speed were after really focusing on form and swimming easier, not harder. My swimming was the equivelent of pushing a sheet of plywood through the water, so really working on my body position helped me. I did have access to masters (which was cheaper than paying for regular lap swimming to my surprise) and asked for a lot of stroke advice. Do you have any swimming friends who wouldn't mind looking at your stroke and body position? Or at least take video of you swimming? Video really helped me (and lots of watching good swimmers on youtube) figure out what I needed to change, I just had someone stand at the end and shoot and walk along side. Other than that, swim as much as you can! Be the first one there and last one out and you will find you will get more and more comfortable and get a better feel of the water. Good luck!

2010-02-25 11:47 AM

User image

Regular
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I just started swimming October 09.  I was in the same boat couldn't make 50 meters without gassing.  I read everything I could find on swimming, watched videos and swam about 3 -4 times a week.   Distance increased but I was really slow.  Then I signed up for a weekend TI clinic.  I became even slower but more relaxed and I could swim longer distances after incorporating their drills.  Meanwhile it's like everyone else in the pool was on jet skis compared to me. 

One of the main things I didn't like about TI was they refused to talk about the Pull and it wasn't until 4 weeks ago the Masters coach invited me to join a session that I realized how bad my pull was.  After working with the Masters coach over the last 4 weeks I've dropped about 5 minutes off my 3900M pace went from a 1:30:03 PB to a 1:25:25. 

Also went from a 2:05 100M to a 1:56 100M

Biggest difference was my pull and head position TI teaches head down my coach said to look forward more.  Those 2 things dropped 9 seconds off my 100M. 

You really need someone that knows what they're doing to take a look at your stroke and go from there.  I know you said it's not an option but, I coulda saved a lotta time and money if I woulda just joined Masters in the first place.
2010-02-25 11:51 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
If you can make it work, maybe check back with the Y again. They may have a different instructor now. Even the same kid could be worth a try, if you talk to him. Make sure he knows you are trying to learn and that you would welcome any tips or suggestions on things you should focus on.

Learn everything you can away from the pool as well, like your research into TI, and http://www.swimsmooth.com/, http://www.h2oustonswims.org/, etc. There are some good pieces in the articles section here at BT. Online videos can be helpful too, like those at http://www.goswim.tv/ or on youtube.

Edited by Micawber 2010-02-25 11:58 AM

2010-02-25 11:56 AM

User image

Veteran

lobsteriffic - At this rate I'll be the last one out of the pool.

Well, that all depends on which race you are doing, because if I'm there I can assure you that YOU will NOT be the last out of the pool!  Smile

I was in the same boat as you last spring...I could run a 10 mile race, but after 50 yards in the pool, I'd be hyperventilating.  I knew how to not drown, but I had no idea how to swim.  I took a two private lessons from a TI coach to get started, and then I joined this tri group training class at my gym, which was led by a trainer who was a former college swimmer.  I got lucky b/c everyone in the class was most concerned with their swimming, so it basically turned into about 10 weeks of swimming lessons.  That got me prepared enough for sprint distance swims. 

Now that I can at least swim, this spring I'll be taking a TI weekend clinic.  I've read the posts too about TI being a method of slow swimming...but I think that is a matter of perspective.  I am not now and don't think I'll ever be a 1:20 swimmer.  I'd like to be consistantly under 2:30, and I'd be thrilled if I could even get into the vicinity of 2:00!  The thing is, that IS "slow swimming".  So, for people like us, TI could be really useful.

2010-02-25 12:07 PM

User image

I know you said it's not an option, but Master's class has been so valuable to me.  There is no way I could have taught myself how to swim efficiently.  You tube and stuff like that helps, but you often times can't see what you're actually doing...so you most likely don't know what are your glaring flaws you need to correct.

For me, simply working on keeping my toes pointed has made a huge difference.  I don't have much ankle flexibility, but I was basically kicking with my toes pointed down...creating a ton of drag.  I had no idea until my coach kept telling me to point my toes then showed me video of it.

2010-02-25 12:17 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Actually, I think you should feel very good about your progress.  Two months ago, I was where you were.  Now, I still can't go more than 150 yards.  To me, you're a hero!
2010-02-25 12:24 PM
in reply to: #2693237

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Two years ago, 400 meter swim in a RACE at 12:20.

This year, I will be around 7:10 for the same race.  Keep at it.  Improvement takes time.

Edited by pga_mike 2010-02-25 12:25 PM
2010-02-25 1:42 PM

User image

I took lessons from a TI certified coach. IMO TI teaches efficient swimming rather than speed. It focuses on form and technique. Unlike some mentioned here, I actually got faster after my TI lessons. Then again, my form was pretty bad and I started with almost 3min/100m.

It sounds like this is going to be your first Tri race. How about looking at it from the angle of not so much as where you finish but rather just finishing the race. Also remember that the swim is only 1/3 of the race, you have the bike and run that come after it. The 2nd half of the bike and the run is where you really make up the time and reel them in.

2010-02-25 2:59 PM

Master
Consistency is the key but the thing is if you're practicing with bad form, consistency will do nothing but beat the bad habits into your muscle memory.

If possible, get 1-3 lessons at the Y or even with a local coach to get your form under control then practice that form without worrying about time. Once you feel confident in your form then work on speed. I find speed workouts and just generally mixing pace and distance are most helpful.

Good luck!
2010-02-25 5:27 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
lobsteriffic - 2010-02-25 8:36 AM

I'm working my way through TI drills, but upon doing a search on these boards I see a lot of folks say TI teaches slow swimming.

If you consider 1:30/100 slow, then yes. See my before videos here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shOM8BunXCM

And my 4 weeks after video here, taken yesterday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN3z_PS2_pM

I also have a thread still currently on the front page titled "Total Immersion 4 week followup" or something similar.

DO you hvae any video of you swimming? FWIW, a pace of 3:20/100m suggests some serious stroke flaws. Even "slow" swimming with good technique will likely speed you up. The main goal of TI is to teach EFFORTLESS swimming (check my 4 week after video...I'm not spending much effort for that 1:30 pace) which over the course of 400m, 800m, 1000m, 1 mile or 2.4 mile swims adds up to not LOSING speed due to fatigue.

Lots of people can swim a fast 100 solo, but at such an energy cost they can't sustain it. Would you be happy with a time of 2:30/100 if it meant you could sustain it over you rrace distance? You can do waaaay better than that with TI.
2010-02-25 5:36 PM
in reply to: #2693141

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
caltexsteel - 2010-02-25 10:47 AM

One of the main things I didn't like about TI was they refused to talk about the Pull ...

Here's why:
http://www.sprinttriathlontraining.org/swimming/triathlon-swimming-...

Unfortunately in a group clinic setting lasting a weekend, most of the students wont be ready to talk about the pull...but opposite of your experience, my TI clinic was the FIRST time I've been able to incorporate a high elbow catch into the rest of my swim. See my TI videso I linked to above. In the very first before video, I THOUGHT I had a good pull, but in watching the video, I can see it's very ineffective. I thought I had a high elbow, but nowhere near it.

IN yesterday's video, I'm not activly thinking abou tthe pull (in that particular set), but I'm doing a much better job of maintaining the high elbow catch as a result of my TI clinic.

I know everyone doesn't have that experience. It's actually in the curriculum, but most clinics don't get that far. I was fortunately to have a great instructor, and now I'll be attending TI Teacher Training this week in Coronado where I'll get to swim with Terry himself. I'm SUPER STOKED and will post video and blog about it.

BTW, his book adn video Swimming Outside of the Box is a wonderful discussion about why the efficient swimming approach adds up to free speed in the long run, as opposed to the powerful swimming approach used in swimming pools and masters practices. Having constraints of lane lines, pool walls to touch, strokes to count per 25 yards and pace clocks all detract from efficiency and mindful practice in swimming and encourage more speed, more power, right now. This is ironically highly inefficient when you are trying to LEARN efficiency.

(can you tell I"m passionate about TI?)
2010-02-25 6:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Ottawa
Thanks for all of the replies. I'll keep with trying to work on form and not worry so much about speed.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » improving my very sad swim times Rss Feed