Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2005-06-16 12:20 PM
in reply to: #175840

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Subject: RE: Morning Coffee??
I'm with you guys on this one (except you, TripleThreat: you're seriously killing my caffeine buzz!)

Usually 1 1/2 cups from the morning pot, sometimes a midmorning cup at work, and defnitely a little something in the afternoon. Only the midmorning one is optional. I share Cindy's attitude: I live much healthier than most people anyway and have walked away from SO much that could have killed me by now; leave me in peace with my one addiction!!

It can be kinda inconvienient in tri'ing though, right? 'Cause of that extra trip to the porta-potty?

Before the first organized bike ride I ever did (Tour de Houston, March 20 of this year) I left the house B.C. - before coffee. Saw people at the event with steaming cups and tried to follow the trail to the source, then realized the magic brew was only for the volunteers. So I asked one of the cops for directions to the nearest donut shop -- that worked!

2005-06-16 12:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Well I gave up everthing else, junk food, sweets, etc.. But couldn't give up my one cup of coffee. My personal trainer to this day gives me a bad time about it.. But I keep telling him I lost 90lb while still drinkning one cup a day, so back off...
2005-06-16 12:21 PM
in reply to: #175966

Expert
NC Illinois
i need it to wake up - not to perform athletically.

Not what I meant. I worked at a large marketing company while in college, and now I teach high school. many of my co-workers past and present need caffeine (PED) to perform at WORK. They need it to stay alert, stay focused, work longer, etc ... it is very much a performing-enhancing drug ... and not just on the athletic field.

You admit that you need caffeine to wake up. Would you be a better or worse employee without caffeine? See? It is a performance-enhancing drug ... one that many employers are willing to supply for free ... they are not stupid.
2005-06-16 12:22 PM
in reply to: #175976

Extreme Veteran
Honolulu, HI
swimmom2002 - 2005-06-16 6:15 AM

Guilty here too.  I have to have at least one cup of coffee  day, or I get these really bad headaches by early afternoon if I miss it in the morning.

I try to limit it to one 12 oz cup each morning.  And no sugar or sugar like stuff in mine, I like mine straight up with a splash of cream (splash, not 1/2 cup full).

*sigh*  is it that bad to have one little indulgance every day?  I gave up my glass of wine a night, so this does not seem so bad. 

You're a frickin' triathlete woman, NO reason at ALL to give up that glass of wine!! you earn it with your training!

2005-06-16 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
Utah
I grew up in Central CA and there was a Nestle plant about 10 miles away.  On cold mornings, when the wind was just  right, the outside air near my house would smell like coffee.  I have never been a coffee drinker, but I sure liked the smell that factory was emitting
2005-06-16 12:57 PM
in reply to: #175986

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

TripleThreat - 2005-06-16 12:21 PM i need it to wake up - not to perform athletically. Not what I meant. I worked at a large marketing company while in college, and now I teach high school. many of my co-workers past and present need caffeine (PED) to perform at WORK. They need it to stay alert, stay focused, work longer, etc ... it is very much a performing-enhancing drug ... and not just on the athletic field. You admit that you need caffeine to wake up. Would you be a better or worse employee without caffeine? See? It is a performance-enhancing drug ... one that many employers are willing to supply for free ... they are not stupid.

I don't know about all that - but I know I had to give it up because I was physically addicted.  My morning coffee was always a part of my day - reasonable amount - 1 to three coffe mug sized cups first thing, then done for the day.  One day, unbeknownst to me, my dear husband, who makes the morning pot, switched it to some decaf we had around for when my parents visit, because we were out of regular.  About 9:00 at work, I start getting this headache, and hit my boss up for drugs.  Needless to say I was maxing out on pain meds all day, thinking that something was WAY wrong!  My husband even called me at work, and I told him I had a terrible headache.  Not until after work when I was still suffering did it dawn on him to mention what he had done.  I was like " CHRIST MAN, ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME???? I THOUGHT I HAD A FRIGGIN' BRAIN TUMOR! I WAS GETTING READY TO GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM FOR A CAT SCAN"!!!!

Well, I decided then that I just have a physical makeup that makes me very easily addicted (my husband can take it or leave it with no effects whatsoever, as can many people), and I did not think it was right for me to be physically addicted to anything, so I quit (gradully, of course).  I now save it for special times, like the traditional "after race" breakfasts that the hubs and I alway go for, things like that.  And I appreciate it more now, since I only have it occasionally, for the deliciously yummy beverage that it is.

2005-06-16 2:41 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
I have one cup in the morning with powedered creamer. Love it, need it, want it, savor it. Sometimes I find myself getting jittery and switch to half caffeinated Maxwell House for a few weeks. Still just one cup. I also love Diet Coke,especially out of a fountain. But no caffeine for me after lunch time or it keeps me up past my 10 pm bedtime. I have only been on caffeine since I was pregnant with my 4th kid and couldn't stay awake during the day.
Jessica
2005-06-16 2:43 PM
in reply to: #176036

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Tania - 2005-06-16 11:57 AM
I was like " CHRIST MAN, ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME???? I THOUGHT I HAD A FRIGGIN' BRAIN TUMOR! I WAS GETTING READY TO GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM FOR A CAT SCAN"!!!!

LOL.

Life isn't worth living without Peet's Major Dickason's Blend. I have it shipped by monthly subscription from California. Yes, that's how sad I am. And I'm still drinking the red wine too, so there's no excuse for me.
2005-06-16 2:56 PM
in reply to: #176198

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

CLLinIA - 2005-06-16 2:43 PM .......And I'm still drinking the red wine too, so there's no excuse for me.

Hey now, we're just talking about caffeine here, if wine is a problem then I'm in big trouble (that and any other kind of alcohol) - but there's nothing wrong with that, right?  It's only the caffeine that's bad, massive amounts of alcohol is OK, right? right?

2005-06-16 3:03 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

ABSOLUTELY Tania.  You're fine.  C'mon over, I have a bottle of Chianti with our names on it.

When I lived in Spain I followed the "When in Rome..." way of thinking.  There they go to bars to drink, go next door to a cafe to have what is basically a latte (sorta), shoot that down then go back to the bar to drink some more.

I think I need to move back

2005-06-16 3:38 PM

Veteran
Eilat, Israel
I gave up smoking cigarettes 7 months ago; I used to smoke 1.5 packs a day. But for the life of me I can't cut back on my consumption of coffee- nor do I want to. I love it.

2005-06-16 4:18 PM
in reply to: #176286

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
cobi - 2005-06-16 12:38 PM

I gave up smoking cigarettes 7 months ago; I used to smoke 1.5 packs a day. But for the life of me I can't cut back on my consumption of coffee- nor do I want to. I love it.

I think you gave up the right thing. Congrats on that, don't worry about a little caffine..
2005-06-16 4:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oregon
Coffee is the only reason to get up in the mornings!

All kinds, Yummy!

Randy
2005-06-16 9:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago and therabouts

Sorry to wait so long to reply to the thread...was out getting my evening iced venti americano no water at Starbucks. 

Caffeine--where would i be without it...AM swim practices in highschool--needed it. Studying late night in college, needed it. Long road trips through the night traveling cross country...needed it. Medical school...needed it...Internship / residency.....needed it...Two children who defy all laws of human sleep behavior....needed it...Now..In some ways i wish i could give it up just so I could save the money (Those 5-6 americano's a day are adding up...could get me some good wheels or even a new Tri bike over the course of a year). But it this is my worst vice...so be it...beats crack/heroine/ gambling...etc.  And still no real proven medically detrimental effect. Maybe even beneficial ones...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=14706966&query_hl=2

So whether a performance enhancing drug, mood stabilizer, perk me up in the morning, headache prevention tool, neccesity for functioning in an exhausting world....ill have another  venti americano please....no water....

JT

2005-06-16 9:47 PM
in reply to: #176511

Expert
NC Illinois
Studying late night in college, needed it. Long road trips through the night traveling cross country...needed it. Medical school...needed it...Internship / residency.....needed it...Two children who defy all laws of human sleep behavior....needed it.

I feel ya. I've also been one that's had many late nigths (research, lesson plans, papers, etc) and early mornings. I take my doses via Diet Mt. Dew (1/4 caffeine of coffee) ... I don't like the taste of coffee, and it makes me too jumpy.

I don't know that caffeine has been linked directly to increased rates of any disease, etc ... but in this country, we seem to have a negative cycle of sleeping problems followed by the need for caffeine in the morning. Too many folks taking sleep aids followed by "Ol Joe" to get functioning.

For those of us that stayed up late many times, the combination of caffeine and nicotine is potent (caffeine isncreases the abosrption of nicotine ... which is also a chemical stimulant). Dieters often mix the two substances because caffeine is a diuretic (water loss) and nicotine is an appetite supressant.

National Geographic had an interesting article a few months back about America's love affair with Coffee-caffeine. At this point, the economy is greatly affected by coffee sales, and well, a large portion of the country are dependent on it to get moving in the morning.

My "heads up" on caffeine-nicotine comes from people's behaviors when they are forced to go without it. I would not say it is without negative effects. It's one of the more addictive stimulants, but it's effect is milder than say, heroin, cocaine, etc.

Tania ... I don't know about all that

What's not to know? Caffeine (and nicotine) have been studied more than any other stimulants out there. They are well-used from everyone that works at State Farm insurance to soldiers in the military. Employers aren't handing out free juice or soda ... but they'll willingly provide coffee so they don't have the "zombie squad" walking around until 11AM. The stuff is proven to work from everyone in the business industry, to 3rd shift workers, to tour cyclists, to high school athletes popping pills (mini thins, speed, etc), to everyday you and me.

Imagine what you're workplace would be like tomorrow if coffee (caffeine) disappeared today. Likely, the only thing that gets done tomorrow before noon is a bunch of cat-fighting and grouchiness.

-------------------------------

I am not suggesting we do away with coffee (caffeine), it is just too useful. I am trying to raise some caution about being dependent on it to get going, or being grouchy as piss if we don't get it.
2005-06-16 9:50 PM

User image

Veteran
WA
I'm another one who's totally addicted. I drink it right up until bed time. Don't know what I'd do without it.

2005-06-16 9:53 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
Like someone else on this thread said it's not heroin or crack...so what if I'm addicted to it?  It isn't going to cause me to hurt myself or anyone else the way other mind altering drugs will.  It's not going to lower my inhibitions the way alchohol does.  It's not even going to make me wreck my car or think I can sing The Cranberries in front of a bar full of people (uh, TMI sorry).  Unless of course, someone tries to take it away from me.  THEN somebody's gonna get hurt!
2005-06-16 11:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Plainfield, IL

A doubler.  Oops.  Must be the lack of coffee.  

Edited by swimmom2002 2005-06-16 11:47 PM
2005-06-16 11:47 PM
in reply to: #175989

User image

Veteran
Plainfield, IL
rheros - 2005-06-16 12:22 PM
swimmom2002 - 2005-06-16 6:15 AM

Guilty here too.  I have to have at least one cup of coffee  day, or I get these really bad headaches by early afternoon if I miss it in the morning.

I try to limit it to one 12 oz cup each morning.  And no sugar or sugar like stuff in mine, I like mine straight up with a splash of cream (splash, not 1/2 cup full).

*sigh*  is it that bad to have one little indulgance every day?  I gave up my glass of wine a night, so this does not seem so bad. 

You're a frickin' triathlete woman, NO reason at ALL to give up that glass of wine!! you earn it with your training!

LOL  Maybe I should add to that comment about the wine that the glass of wine was becoming 2 glasses....then half a bottle, and next thing you know, I miss the alarm and sleep through swim practice.  So, I'm cut off during the week.  Maybe here and there on a Friday night (I have a nice bottle of Cherry Wine I picked up in Galena when I was up there for the tri last month......might be a good weekend to open it!).

2005-06-17 6:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I gave up cola products a little over a year ago (to support my daughter as she began running crosscountry at her HS, her coach said it was a no-no), but I would fist fight you over my morning coffee.
2005-06-17 7:09 AM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Take my morning coffee away and I become pretty damn ornery. Several years ago I quit cold turkey. I got home on day 1 with such a headache that I was sick to my stomach. I said nothing was worth this and went right back to it. I almost left the coffee at home when I went backpacking this spring - I think my hiking partner would have hiked out and come back with grounds after the first day. It's my last vice - I'll go down kicking and screaming.

2005-06-17 9:31 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
No tobacky for 3 years as of 1 June.(20 years of smoking)  Love Coffee.  Always wondered how I would be able to drink coffee and not have a smoke.   But I did it.

Edited by BellinghamSpence 2005-06-17 9:32 AM
2005-06-17 9:41 AM
in reply to: #176651

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
hikergerb - 2005-06-17 6:09 AM

Take my morning coffee away and I become pretty damn ornery. Several years ago I quit cold turkey. I got home on day 1 with such a headache that I was sick to my stomach. I said nothing was worth this and went right back to it. I almost left the coffee at home when I went backpacking this spring - I think my hiking partner would have hiked out and come back with grounds after the first day. It's my last vice - I'll go down kicking and screaming.

I give up my coffee for a while now and then just to prove that I can, but eventually you just want that nice warm cup in your hand first thing in the morning. The smell. The jolt. When we went into the Boundary Waters earlier this month my husband actually offered to carry the heavy Italian espresso pot in his pack so we could have the real thing in the deep woods. This is why I love him.
2005-06-17 10:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario
I was at the local running store yesterday to buy some Hammergel. They only had one flavor in stock, Espresso, and it has 50 mgs of caffeine per shot. If I used that for a long race I'd really get a buzz.

DaveH
2005-06-17 10:29 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
I quit smoking almost 14 years ago but I was never a hard core, regular coffee drinker on my own. My wife seems to have become one in the last few years so I think I'm inheriting some of her appreciation or dependence allthough I still do without quite comfortably. I also work at a computer all day and have company supplied coffee available. Some days I'll have lots, black, other days none. She has finally given up cigarettes though, and stuck with it for more than a few days. She's gone over two months now and there's no way I'm bugging her about coffee this year. She's been pretty good so far about all my other recent dietary "suggestions".
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Morning Coffee?? Rss Feed  

of 3