Maui Multi Sports Club
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 53m 56s
Overall Rank = 451/478
Age Group = Mountain Bike
Age Group Rank = 10/10
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4a, had a can of Starbucks Doubleshot!! YUMMMIEEEE!!!! some yogurt, heed, water, and snack bars. The transition area was right next to the hotel, so easy walk over w/ my team at 5am, body marking, transition area set up, watched the sun come up and took some pictures. Great time chatting w/ teammates and others from other teams. The guys next to my bike were funny and very upbeat.
Event warmup:

400y swim to warm up and get used to the surf. Nice and warm water. Not too nervous, just very excited and emotional. They played the National Anthem and I cried through the whole thing, not caring who saw my tears. Then a traditional Hawaiian blessing was given. Very beautiful and a great reminder of the reason we were there.
Swim
  • 45m 54s
  • 1900 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

Lots of sea life, I actually said hello to some turtles as I passed over them. I went easy through the swim and had a good time looking out for sea creatures of all kinds... hoping not to see any sharks, very happy that there weren't any out that day!
What would you do differently?:

Train for more open water swims w/ bouy's so I know what I'm doing. A lot of people stopped while they were rounding them, so it was frustrating when I couldn't just swim around them. And there was one woman who kept swimming right across my path, like she had no idea where she was going.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I have no idea how long it took me. But, I went a little slow, I was still reeling from the waves... I had to dry off my feet and get the grass and sand off of them.

Nothing...
Bike
  • 2h 40m 9s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 9.29 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm not strong on the bike so even though it took me a long to to finish, I am happy with my results... Sort of, I only had 5min in the T2 before the cutoff!

Train harder for hills and left turns and going fast downhill w/o using too much breaking.
Transition 2
  • 04m
Comments:

I know it took me 4 min cuz when I got in they said 5min till cutoff, and when I left it was down to 1min!

Do better in the bike so I had more time to play with...
Run
  • 1h 27m 53s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 14m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

The ONLY reason I was able to get through as fast as I did (only 38 seconds slower than last years Bolder Boulder - and that's all I had to do that day!) was because of my teammate Eileen. She is an awesome runner and kept me focused and in step. We walked a lot, but she also had me running up some of the hills.

I don't know what I could have done better, except train more? It was a hard course all around...
Post race
Warm down:

When I crossed the finish line I was so worried that I didn't finish in time, before the cutoff, so.. since they didn't hand me a medal right there I started crying and couldn't stop (OK, so the emotion of the day had a lot to do with that too, but!). I walked all the way around to my bike and found out from a teammate that I had to get it from the team tent... so, I was pretty happy then, to know that I finished... I was so tired, and bummed cuz I knew my finish picture would suck because of how I felt... I know, that's a little vain, but oh well... I had practiced how I was going to finish, and then it didn't happen! NEXT TIME!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My training wasn't as much as it should have been. I sloughed off on a lot of the bikes and runs... next time, I won't do that!

Event comments:

Very hard race... lots of hills and climbs, it was hot in the lava field that we ran through!! Beautiful, friendly, happy, would do it again in a heart beat!! The night before the race a lady from Washington spoke of her survivorship from Hodgekins disease. She told us to remember her while we were out on the course when we were tired and hurting, how she had to undergo a surgery that basically cleaned and checked every lymph node in her body and removal of her spleen and checking of every organ. The thought of her, and others who have/had/are gone/ing through the rigors of cancer treatment reminded me that no matter how tired or bad I felt, I could complete the race, because I had the ability, my body was able to complete this race. And I did complete it. Overall, the TNT teams raised $1.4M for cancer research and treatment. This is something that we can all feel extremely proud of!!! Even those who could not finish.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-05-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:54 | 1900 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 342/478
Performance: Good
Suit: tri shorts and sports bra
Course: Wierd. Out 300m and turn right, then 250-300m and left, 250m and left again, long straight away ~500m, left a third time for a long straight away (~500m) keeping last bouy on right and in to the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:40:09 | 24.8 miles | 9.29 mile/hr
Overall: 466/478
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course: Great for about two seconds then through a tunnel and up a very short but very steep golf cart hill... where they decide it's a good time to take your picture! Some rolling straights then a long uphill that killed most people, I was going too slow to get my foot out of the clip so I had to keep going, the first loop... the second one I knew I needed to walk so... out it came after the turn. This was the only hill I walked on the whole course. Going down this hill was wierd because I haven't done very many hills, I was on the brakes for a lot of it, then there is a 90 degree left turn at the bottom... I hate left turns!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:27:53 | 06.2 miles | 14m 10s  min/mile
Overall: 421/478
Performance: Below average
Course: Sucked! up and down, up and down, up or down, it didn't matter, you didn't get a break... And they had food stands along the way! And me, with no money!!!! aaarrrgghhhh!! It was beautiful, beach to one side with lava and bright blue water, lava and sage brush to the other... Absolutely breathtaking!! The 1.5m run to the turn around was down a lava field. I was lucky in that I had some cloud cover, but it was still wicked HOT!!!!!!!!! Nice ice water buckets and sponges to cool down with... that was the best part!!
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-06-16 10:27 AM

User image

Regular
Dearborn, MI
Subject: Kings Trail Triathlon

2005-06-16 11:02 PM
in reply to: #175849

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Subject: RE: Kings Trail Triathlon
You had a great race Tonya!  Don't forget to adjust the swim yardage...the extra 400m that they were so kind to add on for us!!  It was great meeting you and all your teammates from MI...keep up the good work and hopefully we'll see you in Maui again next year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kings Trail Triathlon Rss Feed