General Discussion Triathlon Talk » In Need of an energy boost. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-04 4:24 PM

Northern Virginia/Charlotte, NC
Subject: In Need of an energy boost.
I do most of my training early in the morning then I go to work.  I am also recovering from cancer, so fatigue is an issue.  I need something to pick me up early in the afternoon so I can get through the rest of the day and evening.  I was wondering if Gu, Shotbloks, FRS, or the like would be the best choice for use as a pick me up.  Is one better than the others?  I used to use 5 hr. energy, but it now upsets my stomach.  

2010-03-04 4:59 PM
in reply to: #2708322

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-03-05 8:02 AM

Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: In Need of an energy boost.
Yeah, I'd look at your overall diet and timing rather than trying a specific pick me up like Gu etc.  I have just recently changed my program from breakfast/snack/lunch/snack/dinner (with evening workouts) to breakfast/earlier but smaller lunch/larger snack/dinner.  Having a more significant afternoon meal seems to really help me. 

Also, things like trail mix, fruit, nuts, nut butters etc are going to be better for you and hold more sustainable energy and nutrients than processed gels etc. 

I hope your recovery continues well! 
2010-03-07 9:37 AM
in reply to: #2708401

Extreme Veteran
Jakarta Selatan, Unknown
wgraves7582 - 2010-03-04 11:59 PM what type of food intake do you do daily?

I eat when I get to work/10am/Noon/2pm/4:30pm and then after I workout at night.

I also workout in the morning.

Stay away from processed junk and make sure you are getting adequate fat!

A good and balanced diet would keep you running day-in and day-out. For additional substance, I would recommend caffeine, you can drink them whenever you want (be mindful with the rush).

In general, if you hit the numbers on vitamins and minerals intake then it surely enough to keep you moving

Eat well and train well
2010-03-07 11:57 AM

Veteran
Traverse City, MI
I totally agree with the above insight. If you are looking for help in the pick me up department, I really like FRS products. The little chews are great for all purposes and are not as gut wrenching as gels. I had a Chomp for the first time the other day, that was pretty good too.

I too sip on a little 5hr energy on rare occasions or pop a vitamin B to keep me going, but it's having a balanced diet and effective meal timing that are truly proponents to long term energy throughout the afternoon. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » In Need of an energy boost. Rss Feed