General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new bike, new saddle, OUCH Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-05 7:24 AM

User image

Champion
Schwamalamadingdong!
Subject: new bike, new saddle, OUCH
i picked up my new road bike this week. i had what seemed to me to be a fairly thorough fit, and the bike feels comfortable aside from one feature--the saddle.

i've been riding hybirds with giant comfy seats for years. i have never had a problem with pain. Twenty minutes on my new bike, though, has me yelping in pain. How can i tell if this is an issue of the new saddle not fitting me properly versus having a butt that needs to HTFU? i expressed some concern during the fit, and they've ordered a new saddle for me to test out, but it's not in yet. In the meantime i'm left wondering if really i just need to cowboy up and ride on.

Thanks!

2010-03-05 7:38 AM
in reply to: #2709120

User image

Subject: RE: new bike, new saddle, OUCH
Does ouch mean feeling like it's bruising or feeling like it's rubbed the wrong way?

If it's bruising, ride more and give it a few weeks before you start on the great saddle search. If you've only ridden on well padded seats these do take a bit to get used to.
2010-03-05 7:47 AM
in reply to: #2709120

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: new bike, new saddle, OUCH
As long as there is no chaffing, give the new saddle a few weeks.

Also,a good pair of shorts make a big difference.  While I wear tri shorts for most training rides, I also have a some shorts with the gel padding.  The gel is SIGNIFICANTLY more comfortable.  You just can't run in them.  I'd consider a pair of those as you slowly ease into cycling.

Ray

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new bike, new saddle, OUCH Rss Feed