2010-03-09 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2712406

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-03-09 2:30 PM
in reply to: #2716878

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Subject: RE: Why do we need healthcare reform?
drewb8 - 2010-03-09 2:59 PM
trinnas - 2010-03-09 12:20 PM

Hmm I wonder when it becomes unfair to the person who is having to pay for others then.  Is is unfair when I can no longer afford to send my son to the tutoring he needs because I must pay for my healthcare costs and someone elses?  Was it fair that my son took sack lunches to school to save money while my taxes went to give other peoples kids free breakfast and lunch.  Where exactly do you draw the fair line and what is the criteria for "fair"?  Who decides what I "need" and who decides that I earn more or less than I "need"?

All good and important questions!  When is your benefit from giving other kids free breakfast and lunch (since presumably this increases their chance of doing well in school, growing up to be productive members of the economy rather than going to jail and costing us more in the long run) lower than the amount in taxes you pay to support those programs?  Honestly, I don't know, I'm sure people can come up with equally valid yet different results.  Is it fair that I can't afford a tutor for my kid because they raised my insurance rates to cover the people who chose not to pay for insurance themselves but who still receive care?  Like you said, how do you draw the line for 'fair' when everyone has a different definition?

So to your questions about productive members of the economy.  If this were the case then the european welfare states should be out doing our economy, but they don't.  European nations by and large have higher systemic unemployment, lower median income, lower per capita GDP (PPP) and slower GDP growth.
unfortunatly the references I have showing this are all in paper form <gasp> not on the internet so links won't work. you can come to my house if you want though Wink
2010-03-09 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2716835

Pro
Irvine, California
trinnas - 2010-03-09 11:44 AM
Tripolar - 2010-03-09 2:40 PM
trinnas - 2010-03-09 11:38 AM
Tripolar - 2010-03-09 2:32 PM
trinnas - 2010-03-09 11:27 AM
Tripolar - 2010-03-09 2:25 PM
trinnas - 2010-03-09 11:20 AM
drewb8 - 2010-03-09 12:58 PM
trinnas - 2010-03-09 10:53 AM
drewb8 - 2010-03-09 12:39 PM
Scout7 - 2010-03-09 10:01 AM 

I agree that a big part of the problem is the spreading of costs, both within the current system and all the proposed changes. If anything, that is my primary concern, because that does primarily come down to removing choice. So far, all the proposed systems do nothing to address this. And ultimately, the only fair system in that regard is to move towards a single-payer system, or the complete elimination of insurance. There might be others, but it means that you are solely responsible for the costs incurred, not others.

The question remains: how do we develop a system that is fair? Obviously we cannot all agree on one system, but whatever system enacted had better at least be fair to everyone.

Something I have not seen discussed in all of this is why we have employee-sponsored insurance in the first place. It was not always like that. It came about as part of employee benefits packages because the federal government put salary caps on a lot of industries. So companies had to find new ways to attract quality management and employees, and thus begin offering health insurance as an incentive. Obviously, rising costs in care contributed as well, but we don't think about the role of government intervention.

I think you kind of hit the nail on the head - it's a bit of a paradox - in order to make the system more fair you have to remove some choice.  I'm not sure there's a good way to eliminate the problem of the freeloaders without either a universal system or some sort of mandate or elimanating insurance althogther.

And I'll agree 100% that we really need to question why we have employee sponsered healthcare in the 1st place.  It seems to me that it's really inefficient and stifles innovation.  If it were up to me the goverment would mandate that every insurer provide some sort of basic plan, set a maximum price for the plan and then give everyone enough money to shop for one of these plans on their own.  If you wanted insurance or an HSA over and above this you would be welcome to pay for it on your own (or employers could pay for all or part of it as a benefit or something, but it would not be linked to the employer) and these "extras" would be taxed to pay for everyones basic coverage.  There's some reduction of choice, in that everyone would be forced to purchase one of these basic plans and pool risk, but over and above that it's still up to the individual.  Also I would mandate that I be provided with mozarella sticks any time I tap my foot 4 times. 

Fair to whom, those who get or those forced to give?

Both

Hmm I wonder when it becomes unfair to the person who is having to pay for others then.  Is is unfair when I can no longer afford to send my son to the tutoring he needs because I must pay for my healthcare costs and someone elses?  Was it fair that my son took sack lunches to school to save money while my taxes went to give other peoples kids free breakfast and lunch.  Where exactly do you draw the fair line and what is the criteria for "fair"?  Who decides what I "need" and who decides that I earn more or less than I "need"?

Who decides?  Your elected officials, of course.  Don't like the way they've set it up?  Then vote them out and get folks elected who will adjust things more to your liking.

So 51% of the country can vote to be supported by 49%

Well technically, yes, but it would never be sustainable.

But let me ask you -- is that what you truly believe is happening right now in the US?

To that extreme no but only slightly more than 50% of filers actualy have any tax liability so many of your fellow americans have voted to have ~50 of the country pay for all the programs they want - through their elected representatives of course.

That's not true.  As I mentioned (either in this thread of another), that's only regarding federal income tax.  If you consider payroll taxes as well (which fund Social Security and Medicare), the number of folks with no tax liability falls to around 24%.

Sorry I meant to say income tax.  However you failed to answer the original queston when does it become unfair to take from one to give to another?

I didn't answer that question because that's not what insurance is.

2010-03-09 3:06 PM
in reply to: #2717040

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Tripolar - 2010-03-09 3:58 PM

I agree that a big part of the problem is the spreading of costs, both within the current system and all the proposed changes. If anything, that is my primary concern, because that does primarily come down to removing choice. So far, all the proposed systems do nothing to address this. And ultimately, the only fair system in that regard is to move towards a single-payer system, or the complete elimination of insurance. There might be others, but it means that you are solely responsible for the costs incurred, not others.

The question remains: how do we develop a system that is fair? Obviously we cannot all agree on one system, but whatever system enacted had better at least be fair to everyone.

Something I have not seen discussed in all of this is why we have employee-sponsored insurance in the first place. It was not always like that. It came about as part of employee benefits packages because the federal government put salary caps on a lot of industries. So companies had to find new ways to attract quality management and employees, and thus begin offering health insurance as an incentive. Obviously, rising costs in care contributed as well, but we don't think about the role of government intervention.

I think you kind of hit the nail on the head - it's a bit of a paradox - in order to make the system more fair you have to remove some choice.  I'm not sure there's a good way to eliminate the problem of the freeloaders without either a universal system or some sort of mandate or elimanating insurance althogther.

And I'll agree 100% that we really need to question why we have employee sponsered healthcare in the 1st place.  It seems to me that it's really inefficient and stifles innovation.  If it were up to me the goverment would mandate that every insurer provide some sort of basic plan, set a maximum price for the plan and then give everyone enough money to shop for one of these plans on their own.  If you wanted insurance or an HSA over and above this you would be welcome to pay for it on your own (or employers could pay for all or part of it as a benefit or something, but it would not be linked to the employer) and these "extras" would be taxed to pay for everyones basic coverage.  There's some reduction of choice, in that everyone would be forced to purchase one of these basic plans and pool risk, but over and above that it's still up to the individual.  Also I would mandate that I be provided with mozarella sticks any time I tap my foot 4 times. 

Both

Who decides?  Your elected officials, of course.  Don't like the way they've set it up?  Then vote them out and get folks elected who will adjust things more to your liking.

But let me ask you -- is that what you truly believe is happening right now in the US?

To that extreme no but only slightly more than 50% of filers actualy have any tax liability so many of your fellow americans have voted to have ~50 of the country pay for all the programs they want - through their elected representatives of course.

That's not true.  As I mentioned (either in this thread of another), that's only regarding federal income tax.  If you consider payroll taxes as well (which fund Social Security and Medicare), the number of folks with no tax liability falls to around 24%.

Sorry I meant to say income tax.  However you failed to answer the original queston when does it become unfair to take from one to give to another?

Is not thw whole point of the exercise that has been going on for the last ~ year not been: the current system is unfair and we have to revamp it to make it fair.  It only became about cost when it was clear the american people were less worried about fair and more worried about cost.
2010-03-09 3:24 PM
in reply to: #2716967

Master
Denver
trinnas - 2010-03-09 1:30 PM
drewb8 - 2010-03-09 2:59 PM
trinnas - 2010-03-09 12:20 PM

All good and important questions!  When is your benefit from giving other kids free breakfast and lunch (since presumably this increases their chance of doing well in school, growing up to be productive members of the economy rather than going to jail and costing us more in the long run) lower than the amount in taxes you pay to support those programs?  Honestly, I don't know, I'm sure people can come up with equally valid yet different results.  Is it fair that I can't afford a tutor for my kid because they raised my insurance rates to cover the people who chose not to pay for insurance themselves but who still receive care?  Like you said, how do you draw the line for 'fair' when everyone has a different definition?

So to your questions about productive members of the economy.  If this were the case then the european welfare states should be out doing our economy, but they don't.  European nations by and large have higher systemic unemployment, lower median income, lower per capita GDP (PPP) and slower GDP growth.
unfortunatly the references I have showing this are all in paper form not on the internet so links won't work. you can come to my house if you want though Wink

Thats ok I trust you.

But yet they consistently outrank us when it comes to quality of life, happiness, and even for some, standard of living, I guess it depends on what your measure of success is.

Now whether or not their welfare systems are sustainable or not is a whole different thing, and whether its the entire apparatus that contributes to lower GDP and higher unemployment or just certain policies (such as the employment 'guarantees' some countries have which make it very hard to fire workers) I don't know either.  I'm not in favor of a welfare state where we just take money and give it to people who are less well off just because they are less well off either but to say you are getting no material benefit from it at all doesn't seem quite right either. 

I look at it more like your school analagy, where I am paying for the disadvantaged to get something now (such as education or healthcare) so that they can get to a situation where they can pay me back by contributing to society and our economy - both of which I will benefit from in the long run even if the benefits are measured in crime rates instead of GDP.  Or in the case of healthcare, by not shifting their costs to me anyway, but in a less visable way.  But I would guess that my threshold for the benefit I receive in order for my paying taxes towards it is lower than yours may be and that's a legimate gripe I guess - why should we go with my threshold over yours?

I think where the European countries go wrong (and us too in some instances) is that they don't seem to have a cut-off for people who are given a chance, but opt not to become contributing members.  But personally I would be willing to sacrifice a lower GDP or personal income for a higher quality of life, though I know many people wouldn't agree with me on that. 
2010-03-09 3:27 PM
in reply to: #2717057

Pro
Irvine, California
trinnas - 2010-03-09 1:06 PM
Tripolar - 2010-03-09 3:58 PM

Both

Is not thw whole point of the exercise that has been going on for the last ~ year not been: the current system is unfair and we have to revamp it to make it fair.  It only became about cost when it was clear the american people were less worried about fair and more worried about cost.

I just resist framing the question as taking from one person and giving to another, because I believe it's too simplistic and stacks the deck against deeper discussion.  Health insurance is more than just taking from the healthy and giving to the sick, or taking from the rich and giving to the poor.  It's about sharing risk, over time, across as large a pool as possible, so everyone benefits. 

2010-03-09 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2717106

Master
Living in the past
Tripolar - 2010-03-09 3:27 PM

I just resist framing the question as taking from one person and giving to another, because I believe it's too simplistic and stacks the deck against deeper discussion.  Health insurance is more than just taking from the healthy and giving to the sick, or taking from the rich and giving to the poor.  It's about sharing risk, over time, across as large a pool as possible, so everyone benefits. 

How open and deep a discussion is possible when on this side the "ayes" frame it as "doing good" and a moral imperative?
2010-03-09 3:55 PM
in reply to: #2712366

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
2 posts up - WARNING WARNING!  Too many embedded quotes!
2010-03-09 5:25 PM
in reply to: #2716835

New user

trinnas:  Sorry I meant to say income tax.  However you failed to answer the original queston when does it become unfair to take from one to give to another?

Since a lot of the debate on healthcare centers around the "general welfare" clause, I thought the following would be germane to the question you posed above.

Though social policies sometimes governed the course of tax policy even in the early days of the Republic, the nature of these policies did not extend either to the collection of taxes so as to equalize incomes and wealth, or for the purpose of redistributing income or wealth. As Thomas Jefferson once wrote regarding the "general Welfare" clause:

To take from one, because it is thought his own industry and that of his father has acquired too much, in order to spare to others who (or whose fathers) have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, "to guarantee to everyone a free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it."

2010-03-09 6:26 PM
in reply to: #2717189

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
1stTimeTri - 2010-03-09 4:55 PM 2 posts up - WARNING WARNING!  Too many embedded quotes!

That's why people should trim down the quote to the last comment that they are responding to.  (How many people will now respond to this, embedding the quotes inappropriately?)
2010-03-09 6:29 PM
in reply to: #2717412

Pro
Hailey, ID
gearboy - 2010-03-09 5:26 PM

1stTimeTri - 2010-03-09 4:55 PM 2 posts up - WARNING WARNING!  Too many embedded quotes!

That's why people should trim down the quote to the last comment that they are responding to.  (How many people will now respond to this, embedding the quotes inappropriately?)

Oh come on, quit acting so high and mighty. I tested in the genius level IQ when I was 10!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Why do we need healthcare reform? Rss Feed  

of 5