General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shifting from HRM to Run/Walk - Advice ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-08 8:20 PM

User image

Veteran
San Jose, CA
Subject: Shifting from HRM to Run/Walk - Advice ?

Hi all,

Having done my fair share of reading , I understand and appreciate the virtues of HRM-based training. Have stuck with it for the last ~2 months but with my marathon ~7 weeks away and my pace not improving as well as I need it to , have decided to give up on HRM and go back to a Run/Walk approach (9/1) .

Bottomline , my marathon has a 13:40 pace cutoff and on my long runs currently , am averaging ~ 15:00 pace . And then there is the issue of hills which my marathon most likely has but I don't know if it is really as hilly as it is made out to be (BigSur for those who care)

Hence, was wondering if anyone had any advice given my situation ? Have updated my training plans already and logs should be fairly current. I know that it may be quite difficult to achieve this but if there is anything I can do to train and finish , I'd like to give it a shot and not waste my registration fees :-)

Thanks.

2010-03-09 6:23 AM
in reply to: #2715367

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Shifting from HRM to Run/Walk - Advice ?
Couple observations/questions:

1) Total mileage is, in my opinion, low considering where you are at vs. where you want to be.
2) Long run...was it done on trails? What were the trails like? That fact could explain slower paces.
3) There's some significant changes in pace between long runs and short runs. Again, could be terrain-related. But I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on what goes on in a long run. Are you crashing and dropping pace at the end? How do you feel afterwards?

As for your initial query.... It is extremely hard to say. You've hit the pace in shorter runs, but that just means you have the potential to run that pace, not necessarily the training. If the decision is purely economic, I would hedge my bets and not do it. However, it is almost never purely economic. I know that I would go for it and give it my best shot and let things fall where they may. If you don't make, oh well. You know you need to train more for next time. If you do make it, great, train more for next time.
2010-03-09 3:37 PM
in reply to: #2715367

User image

Veteran

Go back to run/walking. 

I'm a huge fan of it.

But at that speed, you might even be running too much and not resting enough.  Try something more like 4:1 instead of 9:1 and see how you feel and how fast you're going.
2010-03-18 2:04 PM
in reply to: #2715698

User image

Veteran
San Jose, CA

Scout7 - 2010-03-09 4:23 AM Couple observations/questions: 1) Total mileage is, in my opinion, low considering where you are at vs. where you want to be.

Agreed , but with my schedules (work/family,etc.) , the max I can shoot for is a 25 mi. avg, if that !

2) Long run...was it done on trails? What were the trails like? That fact could explain slower paces.

Only the last two were on the hilly trails which should reflect big sur. and yes , the slower paces were mostly here , although the pace on regular paved trail wasn't all that much better

3) There's some significant changes in pace between long runs and short runs. Again, could be terrain-related. But I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on what goes on in a long run. Are you crashing and dropping pace at the end? How do you feel afterwards?

felt quite comfortable in the beginning , ok in the middle but the latter half was hard even though the pace wasn't high but since I was HR training , am guessing this is expected.

As for your initial query.... It is extremely hard to say. You've hit the pace in shorter runs, but that just means you have the potential to run that pace, not necessarily the training. If the decision is purely economic, I would hedge my bets and not do it. However, it is almost never purely economic. I know that I would go for it and give it my best shot and let things fall where they may. If you don't make, oh well. You know you need to train more for next time. If you do make it, great, train more for next time.

Thanks a lot for that rational advice . Have decided since to can the marathon and focus on just getting my pace to be at a reasonable level , even if this means doing shorter events like 10k's and/or HalfMary's . Would much rather improve my fitness than go all out on a marathon . Feel much less under pressure with this decision but man , the ego has taken a beating

2010-03-18 2:08 PM
in reply to: #2717134

User image

Veteran
San Jose, CA

mrcurtain - 2010-03-09 1:37 PM
Go back to run/walking. 

I'm a huge fan of it.

But at that speed, you might even be running too much and not resting enough.  Try something more like 4:1 instead of 9:1 and see how you feel and how fast you're going.

Thats real interesting you suggest a 4:1 instead of a 9:1 . Have tried the 4/5/6:1 in the past and felt that it means more walking and less running and the worst part (for me) is the restart after every interval . I feel I'd rather keep running at a slightly slower pace than take the potential i on slowdown/speedup rampup time

good advice : will definitely keep this in mind since am back in the 9/1 splits and seems to be going ok ... finally breaking the 12:00 *barrier* on the short 45 min runs .

2010-03-18 2:20 PM
in reply to: #2734048

User image

sachinh - 2010-03-18 10:04 AM

Agreed , but with my schedules (work/family,etc.) , the max I can shoot for is a 25 mi. avg, if that !

Feel much less under pressure with this decision but man , the ego has taken a beating

There is no ego lost in respecting the distance.  There are some people who can finish marathons on 25 mpw, but they are the exception rather than the norm.  Keep working at it.  You'll find that as you slowly get faster, you'll also be able to squeeze more miles in the same amount of time.  You may want to target some 5 and 10k's so you have some short term goals to shoot for.

Good luck

2010-03-18 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2734048

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
sachinh - 2010-03-18 4:04 PM

In that case, I would suggest that racing half marathon and below would be a better fit with your schedule.

Shane

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shifting from HRM to Run/Walk - Advice ? Rss Feed