Riviera Beach, FL
multirace
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 06m 58s
Overall Rank = 87/209
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/6
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 4...had coffee, oatmeal, packed the car and drove up in near silence (not morning people!) choked down a banana on the ride. drank some water.
Event warmup:

none. set up transition; looked at the swim area for a shower (to avoid rash from allergic reaction to salt water - my curse).
Swim
  • 09m 36s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 24s / 100 meters
Comments:

I felt weak and tired on the swim, right from the start. I also had a LOT of trouble navigating. goggles were foggy and the sun was bright. It was really difficult for me to see the bouys. the current was a strong northern current, so you had to really watch drifting. I stopped quickly to rinse in the fresh water shower...I break out in a VERY itchy rash w/in minutes of swimming in the ocean if I don't rinse..it didn't take too long.
What would you do differently?:

not sure. I did ok, but just felt tired. and I felt blind.
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

I threw my shorts on, thinking it would save time in t2, but it was hard b/c I was so wet. I also lolly-gagged a bit. I threw on my helmet, struggled with my shorts, popped gum in my mouth (helps with breathing/dry mouth), put on my shoes, sunglasses and ran out of transition.

I don't like my tri suit...I've got to find something that I don't feel like I need to put shorts on. this took some time. I also fumbled with getting my glasses on, they wouldn't fit well on my ears due to braids. In almost chucked them (they were only $20 at target) but got them to fit. I also want to think about having my shoes clipped on, and running barefoot out of transition. not sure if this is more time-efficient or not, but want to practice.
Bike
  • 31m 1s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.34 mile/hr
Comments:

at one point on the first climb, I thought "Im just going to clip out and walk up this &#%$ hill". I didn't, but I really wanted to. The bike is just not fun for me right now, so add a hill and it's really not fun. I did improve on my time, but it still sucks by comparison to my age group.

bike, bike, bike, bike more, more, more....bike, bike, bike...gotta bike if I want to be competitive.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

funbled...I tend to think of transition as "break time", and forget I am racing. time was ok, but I probably could've shaved 15 sec. off my t2 time but picking up the pace.

focus.
Run
  • 23m 56s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran. I again ran somewhat conservatively for the first 2 miles. But I kicked it in the last mile...If my calculations are correct, mile 1 was 9:00; mile 2 was about 8:00 and mile 3 was 7:00...I passed a guy in the home stretch and then heard him on my heels so I picked it up...I think he crossed the line by a toe length. great fun at the finish though.

Pick it up after mile 1? When I saw the bridge, I thought if I can do my run in 24:00, I'll be happy, and I came in just under that...but then I see I was 5th out of 6th in AG and wish I pushed it harder.
Post race
Warm down:

watched jonathan cross the finish (he took 3rd for 1st timer 0-39 males- yippee). stretched in shade. saw gator girl (lisa) and chatted for a second. grabbed a bad muffin, drank water, went for a dip in the ocean and chatted with another age-grouper from my town, then headed home to run around like a chicken with my head cut off to get ready for father's day (cook out at our house-had to clean; shop for food and finish gifts).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My monthly visitor is about 10 days late...so besides being bloated and crampy, I'm just not feeling great...tired and sort of blue. I don't know...and the series we are doing is every 4 weeks..maybe if I'm late enough this time, it won't be a worry for the july race..I didn't feel strong. I was a bit disappointed at how tired I felt on the swim and bike..I also really hated this course...may just be my mood. I thought tris in south florida = flat!!

Event comments:

I swear I won't do this one next year, but in a week, I'll forget how much it sucked for me...it's like child birth. I'm looking forward to next month's race - it's close to home, and oh-so-flat for all portions, even if it is a lake swim...and I'm hoping to hit an aquathon the week before, which excites me!

Last updated: 2005-06-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:36 | 400 meters | 02m 24s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 0/209
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: swam east out to bouy, north to bouy and back to shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:25
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:31:01 | 10 miles | 19.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/6
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: nice flat course until THE BRIDGE...this sucked. it was short and steep. at one point my computer said I was doing 8 mph, and my legs were tired. It was a steep climb, a downhill with a hairpin u-turn, then back up it. the second climb was easier, I guess b/c my legs got a rest from the downhill. and we didn't have to turn around at the bottom of the second downhill, which was good (though I'm still a huge chicken on hills, I just haven't been on any). I did pass a few on the hill. I had a great race with an age-grouper, taking turns passing each other (I ended up beating her on the run ;) ).
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:23:56 | 03 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/6
Performance: Average
Course: flat for a minute, then back to THE BRIDGE. up, down, turn, up, down, then turned through the neighborhood and back down toward the "boardwalk". Psychologically, it was a good course, as it was broken up and got the hard part out of the way first. going up the bridge the second time was HOT. sun blaring in my hot face.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2005-06-19 7:41 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: Singer Island Tri

2005-06-19 7:48 PM
in reply to: #178257

User image

Expert
Montreal
Subject: RE: Singer Island Tri
Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the experience. On the other hand you finished which is a good thing.

Allegic to salt water! That really sucks!
2005-06-20 12:17 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Mimi,
Your swim time was great. Especially with waves and current. You were second out of 6th in your age group, so that should tell you something.

Your T1 time was fast. Way to peel off that wetsuit and throw some shorts on. Definitely look into getting some other shorts so that you can just wear the same shorts throughout the whole race. That definitely saves some time.

You averaged 19.34mph on the bike??? That is a really good pace. Really really good. You should be extremely happy with your bike time.

T2 time was 1 minute again awesome.

Your run time was still pretty impressive, but yeah a lot of triathletes are fast runners.

Mimi overall you did really great. You were FOP-MOP 87/209. It was a great race. I'm sorry you didn't have that much fun but you accomplished a lot and I think you should be very proud.

Jen
2005-06-20 3:15 PM

Master
Boston
Great to finally meet up at a race! I am so jealous of your time- I can't believe that you don't think you did well. Your time was great! You smoked me on the swim and run. I finished in 1:11 and I thought, hot damn, I did good, lol! You really did do better than you think. I also hated the bridge and can't wait to do a FLAT course. Keep up the training and I'm sure I'll run into you at another race!
2005-06-20 3:21 PM

User image

Mimi, you gutted it out, good job!
2005-06-25 4:32 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC

You did a GREAT job.  Congratulations!  You were smokin'!  Sorry that you did not have the best experience with the swim, but you were flying on the bike and run.  You should be very proud of yourself!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Singer Island Tri Rss Feed