General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » A Quick Intro Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-17 9:37 AM

SW Ontario
Subject: A Quick Intro
I've been lurking for a month or two mainly using the site for the training log but once I got into the forums and the wealth of information here I thought I should introduce myself as I'm sure I will have tons of questions in the not so distant future.

I'm doing my first sprint triathlon at the end of June.  I had been toying with the idea for a few years now and I was telling my wife that I may do this particular triathlon as it was near her family,  she decided to tell her whole family that I was doing it for sure.  Now I have to do it in order to not let my nieces and nephews down who seem pretty excited (or they were but they'll probably find something else to get excited about next week).

From what I've read on these forums I seem to be coming at this from a different angle of most people.  I never really liked running, I did one 5K two years ago then quit running until this January.  I have played water polo for the past 10 years so my swimming needs the least work of everything.  I figure if I can have a good swim and bike then not suck on the run, I should be alright.

Anyways, enough about me.  I'm sure I'll be posting some deep philosophical questions soon such as underwear or no underwear under bike shorts?

2010-03-17 9:55 AM
in reply to: #2731070

User image

Subject: RE: A Quick Intro
Welcome. I am with you, running is the worst of the three. You are right you will find that we are in the minority as we don't mind the swim but dislike the run. Sadly I was reading a post where someone reminded the writer that the swim portion is the shortest so don't sweat it.

Keep focused on your goals, be they a race, training session, just having fun. My first race having my kids show up was the greatest!

Go for no underwear, but invest in good bike shorts.

Edited by vinuzot 2010-03-17 9:56 AM
2010-03-17 10:50 AM
in reply to: #2731070

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: A Quick Intro
Congrats on signing up and welcome.  I have found this website to be extremely fun and informational.  That is great that you come from a swimming background.
I wouldn't worry about wearing bike shorts for a sprint.  I would invest in tri shorts that you can swim, bike, and then run in. They have less padding than bike shorts and therefore they dry out faster and it doesn't feel like you're running in a wet diaper...or so I am told.
Or if you don't want to spend too much money than just wear a pair of swim jammers for all three legs as you don't need too much padding for a short bike ride.  Just my two cents. Have fun training!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » A Quick Intro Rss Feed