General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » my introduction Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-06 10:52 AM

User image

New user

Sgt. Bluff, IA
Subject: my introduction
Well, I thought I had better follow the directions and say hello! I just decided that I was tired of being tired and out of shape all the time, and I just need to add some exercise to my day! That was 2 months ago. It was snowy and yucky here, so I just started walking on my treadmill. It took my forever!!!! to walk a mile and I hated every minute of it. But, this last weekend I ran in my very first ever 5K race. (I was never very athletic!) I really just wanted to finish and get the exercise, but I ended up doing so much better than I ever thought I could! (Not good compared to anyone else (36 minutes), but I was really happy with myself!)

Anyway, I think I caught the bug! I planned out 2 more 5K's to run this spring (one each month) and I found a training plan that will hopefully help me not to feel totally dead at the end of the race! Then, once I am more comfortable with the run, and when I finished my current 5 week training plan, I am going to start adding the cycling and swimming. I have a sprint tri picked out that is 16 weeks away and I am so excited!

Some times I get discouraged that I have so far to go, but I remind myself of my goals (to finish) and that building on small steps and not giving up is SO much better than burning out.

My husband will be competing with me. He did his first tri 2 years ago, but hasn't done one since, so he is in essence starting over. (Although, he will have the edge mentally since he has completed one and comes from a very athletic background.)

Anyway, this is a great site. I am enjoying all the training information and schedules so much, as well as the rest of the information!

2004-04-06 10:57 AM
in reply to: #16725

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: my introduction
Welcome! Glad you found us! I think that having a goal, such as a triathlon, makes exercise so much more tolerable! I wouldn't be able to do it if I didn't have plans for a tri!

Good luck and keep us posted!
2004-04-06 12:11 PM

Champion
Hi, welcome to the fun house! It's a good group of folks here, plenty of inspiration and motivation available. Post often, keep us up to date on how the training/racing is going and enjoy what this site has to offer. Good to have you on board!

Max
2004-04-06 1:22 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome to the board as we are glad to have you as a memeber of our family!
2004-04-06 7:21 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Welcome, Stephannie--

It's great to have you here. How's the weather now??

Dana
2004-04-06 7:43 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

welcome to the site...dont ever let yourself too discouraged...u HAVE come so far already.  the hardest part is making the change to start...once your going, no matter how close to the starting line...YOUVE GOT MOMENTUM BABY!

your going great and good luck!

2004-04-06 10:00 PM

Melbourne, Australia
Good on you. Just to reiterate the earlier posts, starting is the hardest part. Once you see improvements it will spur you on to bigger and better things.

A piece of advice - if you fall off the horse just get straight back on it again.........
2004-04-07 12:28 AM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho

Welcome

Hope the tri'n goes well.

2004-04-07 1:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest
Welcome welcome!

I did my first 5k this Spring as well and did it in about 32:48, but I actually turned around and ran with my husband after passing him (it was an out and back) since it was his first too...so that wasn't too shabby of a time considering. (He's a much slower runner than I am so pacing with him slowed me down.) Don't you love it? I am stunned that I actually run, on purpose, without someone chasing me. Whoda thunk??

Welcome to our little corner of the world here. It's so cool to be among like-minded people who aren't necessarily super-people who look upon us newbies like fresh meat.
2004-04-07 10:42 AM

beccayinn I have a sprint tri picked out that is 16 weeks away and I am so excited! Some times I get discouraged that I have so far to go, but I remind myself of my goals (to finish) and that building on small steps and not giving up is SO much better than burning out

YES! That is the greatest goal. Keep in mind that you only get to do your first tri once! And no matter what the results -- it will be your personal best!

Good luck, and stick with it. You will love it.

2004-04-07 2:29 PM

Veteran
Keller, TX
Welcome!  Lots of good stuff here - but watch out, it can be addictive!

2004-04-07 3:42 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Welcome! You're already in a minority by setting your tri goal and getting your training going! congrats! Awesome that your husband will race with you. What a great encouragement!
2004-04-07 4:01 PM

User image

New user

Sgt. Bluff, IA
Wow! It is really exciting to have so many replies and encouragement! Thank you so much! The training and workouts are definately a challenge to me, but having a goal makes it worth while and MUCH easier! My major goals are just getting in shape and losing those stubborn pounds, so I really don't care how quickly I finish. I just want the satisfaction of doing it and the fun of telling people that I did it!

It really is helpful to have my husband training with me. Although running with me is difficult for him. He is much taller and in much better shape, so he has to run very slow to stay with me - for now!!!!

I watched him do his first tri 2 years ago and it was so cool! The group was so supportive and encouraging. He finished dead last (he had been so worried about his swim, that he had neglected any of the rest of the training...) Also, it was a sprint tri, but it was a 26 mile VERY HILLY ride on a borrowed bike, so it was brutal! But, no one cared about time or place, everyone was so awesome to him. They were so happy he didn't stop even though he was very underprepared. So, we have a little reference point this time! (The swim was STILL bad-even with all his practice! A cold lake at 8am in a higher altitude is MUCH different than a warm pool at the Y!)
2004-04-07 5:40 PM

Marlboro, New Jersey
Good luck with the training. also new to the sport and to the forum. great people and advice here
2004-04-07 6:05 PM
in reply to: #17093

OK, I'm the husband... and I must note that if I'd seen this site before mine I would have done much better! This place is great! Also in my defense, it was 28 miles through the Black Hills of South Dakota, for some crazy reason I thought that would be easy! Then what I thought was a 5k turned into a 10k. Let me tell you this, you really find out who you are when you face things like that.

Anyway, I'm 100% behind my 'Flower' running these races and it's great that she found this site and the help. I've been without the 'bug' for quite a while now and it's good to be back.

She didn't mention it but we are the parents of FOUR girls. 2, 4, 6 and 8 years old. So the extra energy is REALLY helping.

Thanks!
2004-04-07 6:10 PM

Melbourne, Australia
Oh my god!! Four kids as well!! I find it hard enough to get out working a 40hr week and being single. I'm even more impressed. Keep it up.

Luke

2004-04-08 11:25 AM

User image

New user

Sgt. Bluff, IA
Well, as far as working out with the kids, I have found that I have to look at it as "my time." When I am in shape I have so much more energy and enthusiasm for life, it spills over and benefits them so much. So, that makes it easier to prioritize. Also, the fact that our Y has free day care really helps!
2004-04-08 10:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
K guys! 4 kids - busy life and jumping in here! Really good move! I feel a new saying coming on here-- Let's see, "The family that tris together stays together!" (Is this maybe a T-Shirt?) I am envisioning six finishers from the same family at some Triathlon.

Come to think of it - my wife and nine year old daughter would love to go to Orlando - to the Disney thing - they have a tri down there I think - maybe al of us family types whould think about a BT event in Orlando some time.

HEY RON - is there a BT fundraiser here somewhere?!
2004-04-09 12:47 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Go Flower! Thank God for free child care at the gym! We're heading there in just a few minutes, and after my workout the kids get to swim in the gym's outdoor pool! I'm with you on the energy thing. My boys are 2,5,7 and 9, and I think everyone knows that if Mama isn't happy, ain't NObody happy! Rock on Flower and hubby!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » my introduction Rss Feed