General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My run buildup Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-19 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Subject: My run buildup

I know there have been multiple run posts here lately, but I don't want to hijack another thread.  So here is mine.

Right now I am working on building a run base, which I plan to accomplish by mid-summer or thereabouts.  This week should put me at about 20 miles weekly run volume with tomorrow's run.  I have a goal of continuing to gradually build up to  25-30 miles per week with my 3 runs per week schedule and, from there, maybe more with 4 runs.  Right now 3 per week works well for me since my body seems to appreciate a day off between runs for all body parts to keep working without complaint. 

My outdoor training pace is typically about 10 min/mile, a comfortable, moderate pace for me.  I never feel taxed or wiped out at the end of a run, and I think I could more or less maintain a conversation at this pace.  I haven't been using an HRM, so I don't have any point of reference to offer there.  But I could begin using one if it would be useful.  No plans to push the pace unless it just happens because it feels right.  Outdoor cadence is about 160-170 depending on terrain.  Nearly all running is on dirt trails, with some moderate ups and downs (500-600 ft total elevation gains per run according to BT mapper).

So the plan is to get to about 3x weekly @8 miles.  Perhaps when I get there and hold it for a few weeks, I might back off to 7 miles and add a 4th short run on Friday, so M-W @ 7, 3 on Friday, 7 on Saturday.  If the bod is good with 4 runs weekly at that point, then I can stick with it.  Eventually build Friday up to 7, and then stretch out Saturday to be a longer run, say up to 10-12 which would put me into the low 30s per week.  Otherwise if I stay with 3 runs, then 2 @ 8 miles and 1 @ 10+.

How does this sound to you run gurus out there?  I have a history of hurting a knee a couple years back (not sure if it was caused by running or bike fit), so this is my attempt at doing a more gradual run build-up and trying to do it right (which, for me, means staying healthy).

(volume2.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
volume2.PNG (75KB - 10 downloads)

2010-03-19 2:36 PM
in reply to: #2736226

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: My run buildup
I don't see a big problem with it.

My first observation is that, in my experience, people who state they need a day off between runs are usually running at too high an effort. Now, there may be other mitigating factors in there, but you did say your current pace is a moderate effort (even if it is comfortable). So, my first reaction would be to look at maybe dropping your pace slightly to see if you could get in more runs now, rather than waiting to build up miles (this is assuming no other limiting factors right now).

Other than that, I don't see any major problems, in terms of glaring problems.
2010-03-19 2:56 PM
in reply to: #2736267

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Thanks for the reply.  The one thing that seems to get me with back-to-back run days is I end up with blisters within a week or two of adding that extra day.  I'm using run socks and lots of foot powder, both of which seem to help.  Right now the feet are good and staying happy.  Also, I've adopted a mid-foot strike over the past 18 months to shift some of the load away from the knees.  Not surprisingly, I've had a couple bouts with some achilles tendonitis.  But things have been good for several months now with a fairly steady diet of lower run volumes.  So I just plan to continue with my warmups & cooldowns, stay stretched, and back off for a workout or two if I feel a hint of problems.  That formula seems to be working well, and my buildup has been progressing without any hitches.

2010-03-19 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2736314

User image

Runner
Ah, ok.

Regarding the change of foot strike; that makes sense then to build up more slowly. As for the blisters...I got nothing, other than pop 'em and wait for calluses to build up, which it seems is what you've been doing.
2010-03-19 10:20 PM

Veteran
It sounds like you have hit a winning formula for you. You feel good, you are recovering well, and staying healthy while building mileage. Cant ask for more than that.
2010-03-20 10:36 AM

User image

Regular

For the blisters use antiperspirant stick or spray on you feet, this will keep your feet from sweating and thus dry. If you know where you typicaly get the blisters after the Antiperspitant put some body glide or Vasiline on thoes spots. If the blisters always come in the same spots you may also look at other shoes that may not produce the same hot spots on your feet. Best of luck. 

2010-03-20 3:37 PM
in reply to: #2737163

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

SAWFISH50 - 2010-03-20 8:36 AM

For the blisters use antiperspirant stick or spray on you feet, this will keep your feet from sweating and thus dry. If you know where you typicaly get the blisters after the Antiperspitant put some body glide or Vasiline on thoes spots. If the blisters always come in the same spots you may also look at other shoes that may not produce the same hot spots on your feet. Best of luck. 

Thanks, the body glide sounds like a good one.  I am back running in my old running shoes that are the kindest to my feet.  I gave up on a new pair of the next generation of the same shoe that for whatever reason were just not compatible with my feet.  I have a couple new pairs of Asics that I picked up and need to start breaking in.  Did a 5 mile treadmill run with no problems in one pair a couple weeks ago, but the trail and the treadmill are two different beasts for sure.  Blisters were another side effect of the new mid-foot strike.  Never had a blister problem at any distance prior to making that switch.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My run buildup Rss Feed