Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » Faster Uploads on 310xt with a Mac Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-23 3:05 PM

User image

Master
Baltimore
Subject: Faster Uploads on 310xt with a Mac
Sorry if this is covered, I searched but didn't find anything.  How long does it take you to upload using a 310xt on a Mac?  Mine takes several minutes at least (though I have no excuse not to use this time to stretch, so its not all bad .  Just wondering if this is normal.  A friends 305 was instant upload, and I'm jealous.  I've deleted all my old workouts from the 310xt, and all my software/firmware is up to date.  I saw the tip at the top of this page is for PCs, so i couldn't try that on my Mac.  Is there one for the Mac?  I know a few minutes isn't a huge deal, but after several hundred uploads it gets tiresome.  If it matters, the only time it takes more than 10 or 15 seconds for the Garmin ANT agent (to upload to Garmin Connect) to grab the data is if I have a bunch of workouts its grabbing at once (otherwise its a few seconds). 

Much Appreciated.

2010-03-23 3:22 PM
in reply to: #2743531

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Subject: RE: Faster Uploads on 310xt with a Mac
With my Mac and 310XT, if the ANT agent is running and the FR is on, as soon as they are near it will start to "upload" its data in the ANT application (I don't know where it's uploading at this point). Once it says that this process is done the upload in BT is pretty quick, much less than "minutes". If I start the upload in BT before the "upload" in ANT is done, then it can take several tries and several minutes. I hope this helps.
2010-03-23 3:39 PM
in reply to: #2743576

User image

Master
Baltimore
MDHillSlug - 2010-03-23 4:22 PM With my Mac and 310XT, if the ANT agent is running and the FR is on, as soon as they are near it will start to "upload" its data in the ANT application (I don't know where it's uploading at this point). Once it says that this process is done the upload in BT is pretty quick, much less than "minutes". If I start the upload in BT before the "upload" in ANT is done, then it can take several tries and several minutes. I hope this helps.

I have made that mistake, but thats unfortunately not my issue.  I now wait start the BT upload once the ANT agent finishes too.

When I upload, there are three stages:
1) 1%-100% bar - bar counts one to 100, not too long, 30 seconds maybe
2) stall at "transfer complete" this is the longest, it just sits here for a minute or two or three
3) spinny color wheel - i get that wheel as my mouse icon, I can't use my browser (e.g. other tabs/windows) and the rest of my computer is pretty slow.  this lasts 20 sec up to a minute or so.
2010-03-30 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2743531

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Yes, there is a way to make the downloads/uploads go much faster.  Every time your Garmin connects to ANT and downloads it stores these files on your computer.  Then when you go into BT it searches this folder to find which one is for the day you are trying to upload.  This is what takes so long. 

Find on your computer where the Garmin info is stored.  I am not at my home computer so I can't walk you through it.  I believe it is in your user folder.  If you can't find it, do a search for .tcx files.  I went in and deleted everything in the folder and my downloads became amazingly quick.  But each download you do will add files back into this folder, so you will need to routinely clean it out.  Some people don't want to delete them all, so you can always create a new folder and move the old files into there. 

Hope that helps.
2010-03-31 9:14 AM
in reply to: #2757562

User image

Master
Baltimore
chichitao - 2010-03-30 10:59 AM Yes, there is a way to make the downloads/uploads go much faster.  Every time your Garmin connects to ANT and downloads it stores these files on your computer.  Then when you go into BT it searches this folder to find which one is for the day you are trying to upload.  This is what takes so long. 

Find on your computer where the Garmin info is stored.  I am not at my home computer so I can't walk you through it.  I believe it is in your user folder.  If you can't find it, do a search for .tcx files.  I went in and deleted everything in the folder and my downloads became amazingly quick.  But each download you do will add files back into this folder, so you will need to routinely clean it out.  Some people don't want to delete them all, so you can always create a new folder and move the old files into there. 

Hope that helps.

THANKS!!!  Took about a second, much appreciated!!
New Thread
Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » Faster Uploads on 310xt with a Mac Rss Feed