General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is it possiable B2B IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-24 1:29 AM

User image

Subject: Is it possiable B2B IM
ok so heres the deal i would really like to do the Beach to battleship IM in nov but due to a crazy long work schedule i can really only do a limited amount of training during the week i ran my first sprint tri 2 weeks ago and did just fine finished in 1:10:19 biking is by far my strongest event as i come from a strong cycling background and i know i could manage the run even if i have to crawl my only big worry is the swim so i guess im looking for motovation or a few tips that may help me i do have a bad left shoulder due to a military training accident 2 years ago but before that i was a very strong swimmer im just worried i wont be able to do the 2.4 mile in the alloted time! so please help me out here what all can i do to make this happen I WANT TO BE AN IRON MAN!!!!

EDIT: also i do not have a pool very close by and the fact that i work nights makes it even harder until the ocean warms up a bit and i can do open water i dont currently have a wetsuit they seem to be hard to find at 6'8

Edited by biggoofy 2010-03-24 1:44 AM

2010-03-24 1:41 AM
in reply to: #2744408

User image

Regular
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Subject: RE: Is it possiable B2B IM
2010-03-24 4:21 AM

User image

wow amazing story very inspiring 
2010-03-24 4:44 AM
in reply to: #2744440

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
Hey, I work nights too and I did my first Ironman in '08.  The hardest part is the long training runs and rides on the weekends because your sleep schedule ends up flipped around.  The beginning of my work week is Sun at 11pm so what I ended up doing is staying up late to sleep through friday night and then getting up at the crack of dawn on Sat and sun.  Then getting a long nap before work Sun afternoon /eve.  How do you usually get in your workouts? I've been trying both staying up and doing them before I get to bed (then I end up slogging through a crappy workout) or getting up in the afternoon and working out (but then I often sleep through and drop the workout). I'm curious how other night people do it. I talk to my co-workers, but none of them workout. 

As far as swimming goes, with a wetsuit you should be able to get into decent swim shape hitting the pool a couple of times a week until you can get in the ocean, though I don't know what your timeframe looks like (how many months out).  You'll probably find though that am's after work are much less busy at the pool making it easier to find a lane and stay there unruffled for long workouts.  So a slightly longer drive to the pool might feel more worth it.

I'm tall too, though I'm a woman so I can often just buy a mens suit that is cut longer in the torso than women's, but I've found that sleevless suits are more forgiving to a long torso than the full suits if that helps at all.
2010-03-24 4:49 AM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

It's hard to say since there is nothing in your logs, but I'll take a stab at it. 

It depends on how much this shoulder injury affects your swimming.  Does it prevent you from making a full stroke or does it start to hurt when you swim for long periods of time?  If you can't swim for an hour and thirty minutes, then I don't think you can do B2B.  If your injury just makes you slow, then I would say go for it.  B2B's swim is down current and wetsuit legal.  These two things make for a very fast swim.  If you are swimming slowly, but continuously swimming, you will get out of the water in less then two hours. 

You said you have limited time to train.  This concerns me more.  There isn't a way for a first time IM to complete the distances on small volumes.  You will find folks that have been at it for years and can do it with weekly peak volumes below 10 hours, but they have built a base over the years.  How much time do you need to devote during peak weeks?  I dunno.  I can't see the last 12 months of your workouts.   I assume you have that big base in cycling, but you will need it in swimming and running too.

Good Luck!

2010-03-24 4:52 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

I would ask what is the rush?  With proper training between now and then you could likely finish but I would suggest a more gradual build to IM would be a better idea.

IIWY I would spend this year working on sprints and Oly distance races and then look to step up to the HIM next year and an IM in your third year (if you still want to keep stepping up the distance). 

The IM distance isn't going anywhere and if you take the time to build your triathlon fitness over years instead of months, then you are more likely to stay with the sport in the long term as opposed to one and done.

Shane

2010-03-24 6:50 AM
in reply to: #2744452

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
gsmacleod - 2010-03-24 5:52 AM

I would ask what is the rush?  

x2

Ironman races aren't going anywhere.  Too often athletes try to fit IM training into an already crammed lifestyle.  Why?  How about you wait until it makes more sense to train and compete for an IM.  In the meantime, continue to progress in each of the distances.  Then IM training won't seem like a monumental task, it will seem like an adjustment to your lifestyle. 
2010-03-24 7:47 AM
in reply to: #2744519

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.

adollar 79
 "In the meantime, continue to progress in each of the distances.  Then IM training won't seem like a monumental task, it will seem like an adjustment to your lifestyle." 

humm..never thought of it that way.  it makes a ton of sense.  it's gotta be easier to make the leap to IM training after you've already incorporated training into your lifestyle.  that way the increase in hours doesn't seem like as much, at least mentally!  going from 4-5 hrs a week to 18+hrs a week is much harder than going from 4-5 per week to 8-12 and then to 18+.  i like that way of thinking.

thanks, i'm glad i was eavesdropping on this thread.

Edited by antlimon166 2010-03-24 7:49 AM
2010-03-24 8:51 AM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

I'm torn. Personally I'm waiting to do B2B many years from now when my kids are older. I find it hard to put in the training time with me working during the day, my wife working in the evening, and someone has to be home with the kids. But I'm talking about only getting 3-6 hours a week. When they are old enough to stay home by themselves I might have a shot. Assuming I can stay motivated for 10 years....

That said, I can see how it could be more exciting in one year. We do these things because we want a challenge, but if we train properly over time it seems like less of a challenge. And maybe you want to be one and done. I think you could train for the swim, but you might want to work with a physical therapist to make sure you are taking care of your shoulder. Like others said, time won't be the issue.

2010-03-24 8:57 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-03-24 9:58 AM

Expert
Portland

I would strongly agree with the "why rush?" motto.  Ironman will be around for a long time.  If you wait 2 even 3 years, and do other distances you will have an AWESOME base and may actually be able to consider RACING an Ironman.  As far as the shoulder goes... get it checked out, find strengthening exercises and DO THEM!  life is too short to live with a pain like that.

Edited by menglo 2010-03-24 9:59 AM

2010-03-24 10:03 AM

Expert
Wilmington, NC
biggoofy - 2010-03-24 2:29 AM ok so heres the deal i would really like to do the Beach to battleship IM in nov but due to a crazy long work schedule i can really only do a limited amount of training during the week i ran my first sprint tri 2 weeks ago and did just fine finished in 1:10:19 biking is by far my strongest event as i come from a strong cycling background and i know i could manage the run even if i have to crawl my only big worry is the swim so i guess im looking for motovation or a few tips that may help me i do have a bad left shoulder due to a military training accident 2 years ago but before that i was a very strong swimmer im just worried i wont be able to do the 2.4 mile in the alloted time! so please help me out here what all can i do to make this happen I WANT TO BE AN IRON MAN!!!!

EDIT: also i do not have a pool very close by and the fact that i work nights makes it even harder until the ocean warms up a bit and i can do open water i dont currently have a wetsuit they seem to be hard to find at 6'8

You can float the B2B swim without swimming a stroke in the alotted time. Actually at the pre race meeting last year the RD made a comment/joke that if anybody did not make the swim cut off he would personally make sure that they were banned from competing in another tri.

I did the Half last year and believe me when I tell you I am no swimmer. I literally swam 15k yards in the 3 months prior to the race and I got out the water in  ~24min, it is that fast/easy.

You should not let that swim concern you.
I know people are going to give advice about not doing an ironman at this point in your tri career and that is fair enough. If you decide to go forward with trying it, the swim cut off is a none issue in my opinion.
Good luck in all your races.  Smile
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is it possiable B2B IM Rss Feed