General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Easter Saturday in Jackson - where to ride? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-24 10:12 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: Easter Saturday in Jackson - where to ride?
Looks like I will be at the outlaws in Madison over Easter weekend and need a long ride (trust me on this one ) ... is there a long group ride on Saturday morning?  Tri-bike friendly or roadie?

Absent or even in addition to that, is it safe to ride on the Natchez Trace? I am looking to get 50-65 miles in that morning.

Thanks!

2010-03-24 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2745082

User image

Expert
Madison, MS
Subject: RE: Easter Saturday in Jackson - where to ride?

Brian,

You may want to post in the tri team's forum (www.mhtc.clubexpress.com/) for any group rides. I am willing to bet a few people are riding. (You may have to create a login to access the forums.)

The Trace is relatively safe to ride on. The earlier you can go, the lighter the traffic. Usually heading south has lighter traffic as well. If you ride on the Trace, you will want to use a rear blinkie and wear something high viz.

Another option is the back roads of Madison/Hinds Counties. There's a route in the routes section of BT (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/map.asp?routeid=77818) that you could probably easily increase in length (or do twice) by starting from a point on Highland Colony Parkway and turning on Lake Castle Rd. Roads are pretty quiet. Just have to watch for the occasional dog.

I have a 2 1/2 hour ride planned. If you're not overly concerned about speed, I would be willing to be your tour guide.

Just let me know.

2010-03-26 3:30 PM

Veteran
Vicksburg

Brian if you want to drive to Vicksburg I am sure we will have a group.  We have a yahoo group called River City Cyclist.  You can check it out and post up and I am sure we will have a few folks out.  We got a few folks training for IMNO in a couple weeks so I am sure we will be getting several hours in.

2010-03-29 1:26 PM

User image

Central Ms.
Ridesouth .com ride a round the Ross Barnett Reservoir 38 mile loop. They mostly ride recumbant bikes but all are welcome I will be there on a tri bike. Ride launches at ridesouth bike shop at 7.30 am. Their number is 888-822-3647
2010-03-30 2:42 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Thanks all!  I really appreciate it

A friend from Jackson recommended the weekly ride from The Pro Bike Shop out of Pearl.  Is anyone familar with it?  He said that it was mainly roadies who do 50 mi with an average of 18+ mph ... which sounds like what I need (albeit no tri bike).

2010-03-31 1:13 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Kind of an off weekend.  Lots of folks traveling out of town and such.  There's also a beginner tri training program that is riding Saturday, but you don't want to be on that one unless you're helping coach.  If your ever back in town on a weekend, I usually leave my house early and make Reservoir Loop.  It's about 40 miles, but it can be made longer with some extra Trace time.

If you want to go solo on the Trace, that's not so bad.  I used to do it all the time.  I'd leave from the Overlook (go north a few miles from the Hwy 51 junction).  That way it got me away from the traffic that uses the Trace as a cut through off the interstate.  Just go north, out and back as far as you'd like.  There's a small building with some bathrooms and a water fountain at Riverbend.  Not sure exactly how far that is.  15 miles or so maybe.  Anyway, the road is smooth, the traffic is usually minimal early, and the winds can sometimes beat the heck out of you.  It's a good ride.

2010-04-13 7:41 AM
in reply to: #2758432

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
As you may recall, it rained cats and dogs early Saturday morning and Gary called off the ride at the last minute.  Another rider did not get the message and showed up (Kurtis).  Since neither of us knew the route we drove up to Holmes Community College parking lot and rode a 50 mile course through Madison.

Beautiful countryside albeit with some really rough patches of roads (rattled a bottle cage off and punctured a tire despite riding Conti Gatorskins!). I had forgotten how much I love the Mississippi farm land.

If any of you all come over to Atlanta, drop me a line and I'd be happy to play endurance sport tour guide.

brian - 2010-03-30 3:42 PM Thanks all!  I really appreciate it

A friend from Jackson recommended the weekly ride from The Pro Bike Shop out of Pearl.  Is anyone familar with it?  He said that it was mainly roadies who do 50 mi with an average of 18+ mph ... which sounds like what I need (albeit no tri bike).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Easter Saturday in Jackson - where to ride? Rss Feed