General Discussion Triathlon Talk » sunscreen alternative - cooling clothing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-04-15 10:36 PM
in reply to: #4150598

Master
, California
Subject: RE: sunscreen alternative - cooling clothing
jezzieswims - 2012-04-14 11:51 AM
TriAya - 2012-04-14 11:40 AM

spudone wears cooling/sunblock gear (he has it on in his avatar) ... those with questions might want to bombard him with PM's, and of course, please tell him Yanti sent you

Tom Demerly (trisports.com) posted a while back that cooling gear really doesn't work for cooling (and he's tried most of it). However, I don't recall him saying anything about their sunblocking properties.

To my knowledge, Australian sunblocks have a more rigorous testing protocol in order to make claims of a certain SPF and waterproof.

I'm not as interested in the cooling properties, more the sun protection. So far I'm going with several coats of sunscreen with zinc oxide (one at night, one in the morning and more after swimming) but I want to cover my shoulders and arms for the long 5-7 hour bike rides. I know that the cool wings don't prove 100% sunblock and should be partnered with sunscreen. I'm just looking for the best sun protection strategy for a long IM day.

If you hold up an article of clothing and can see light through it, then it isn't going to do much for blocking UVA.  The problem is that UVA doesn't cause sunburn so people just assume they are safe.  Underarmour Heatgear does a decent job of blocking UVB, though.

So absolutely wear sunscreen underneath.  I like Bullfrog -- their Superblock with titanium dioxide is really good.  Yeah it covers you in white but it will not come off even for a full IM.  And if you're wearing clothing over it, then it doesn't matter how it looks.

I started racing with this setup because it's much better protection, I don't end up with any goofy tan lines, and I don't have to waste as much time reapplying sunscreen in T1/2.  Hint: don't trust that job to a volunteer... they mean well but it's easy to miss when you're hurrying.

I tend to agree that I don't get much of a cooling effect, but it isn't any worse, either.

2012-04-15 10:43 PM
in reply to: #4152625

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
spudone - 2012-04-15 8:36 PM
jezzieswims - 2012-04-14 11:51 AM
TriAya - 2012-04-14 11:40 AM

spudone wears cooling/sunblock gear (he has it on in his avatar) ... those with questions might want to bombard him with PM's, and of course, please tell him Yanti sent you

Tom Demerly (trisports.com) posted a while back that cooling gear really doesn't work for cooling (and he's tried most of it). However, I don't recall him saying anything about their sunblocking properties.

To my knowledge, Australian sunblocks have a more rigorous testing protocol in order to make claims of a certain SPF and waterproof.

I'm not as interested in the cooling properties, more the sun protection. So far I'm going with several coats of sunscreen with zinc oxide (one at night, one in the morning and more after swimming) but I want to cover my shoulders and arms for the long 5-7 hour bike rides. I know that the cool wings don't prove 100% sunblock and should be partnered with sunscreen. I'm just looking for the best sun protection strategy for a long IM day.

If you hold up an article of clothing and can see light through it, then it isn't going to do much for blocking UVA.  The problem is that UVA doesn't cause sunburn so people just assume they are safe.  Underarmour Heatgear does a decent job of blocking UVB, though.

So absolutely wear sunscreen underneath.  I like Bullfrog -- their Superblock with titanium dioxide is really good.  Yeah it covers you in white but it will not come off even for a full IM.  And if you're wearing clothing over it, then it doesn't matter how it looks.

I started racing with this setup because it's much better protection, I don't end up with any goofy tan lines, and I don't have to waste as much time reapplying sunscreen in T1/2.  Hint: don't trust that job to a volunteer... they mean well but it's easy to miss when you're hurrying.

I tend to agree that I don't get much of a cooling effect, but it isn't any worse, either.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess it might be worth picking up a few brands and giving them a go over the next few weeks.

2012-04-15 10:54 PM
in reply to: #2745280

Master
, California

And on this topic, check out Ironman Western Australia's primary sponsor:

http://www.sunsmart.com.au/

2012-04-15 10:59 PM

User image

Master
Sin City

Thank you very much Spudone!   Exactly what I am looking for when it comes to training/racing.  I normally don't use sunblock (I know...I'm bad, but I seriously hate the feel of it on me and it feels heavy).  However, I'm getting married soon, and my biker tan has started to fade, and I really don't want it to be more prominent, and I wish to protect myself more.

Is the Bullfrog product light?

I have the facial one, but sweat will take it off...I liked that one because it's very light. 

OH - Speaking of sunscreen, any chapstick recommendations?   Especially ones that don't MELT!  Being in Vegas, if I leave it in my car, it melts. Leave it in my Bento box, it melts. I may need one that has a "wand". 

Thanks!

2012-04-15 11:20 PM

Master
, California

Is the Bullfrog product light?

The Bullfrog Superblock is NOT light - it has titanium dioxide = messy and chalky.  They have other products that are lighter though.  Pretty much all their stuff stays on unless you use soap and water.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » sunscreen alternative - cooling clothing Rss Feed  

of 2