General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vegetarian Tri-ers? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-20 11:58 PM

User image

Houston
Subject: Vegetarian Tri-ers?
Just curious if anyone is a veg'tarian and have any suggestions for quick yummy and energy-filled meals! Love getting new ideas...

2005-06-22 1:42 PM
in reply to: #179445

User image

Regular
Pittsburgh, PA
Subject: RE: Vegetarian Tri-ers?
I dont know about exciting meals, but I love coming up with new types of pasta dishes (varying the noodles, sauces, veggies, hot, cold, etc).

I also eat a Luna bar for breakfast to keep the protein percentages up but is still healthy & good for a veggie triathlete thats trying to lose excess chub.

wow. my food intake is really boring sorry I coudln't be of more help!
2005-06-24 12:31 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Hi JLR! Not 100% veg here, but I have cut out almost all "land animals" consumption as of this summer. (Still eating fish about 1Xweek.)

One yummy new recipe I tried recently is spicy black bean patties here: http://maindish.allrecipes.com/az/81441.asp It's super tasty and nutritious, but not so quick. Hoping to make a new batch this weekend. For quick food, I basically live on nuts. The last couple of weeks I've been training more and cooking less, but it kind of comes in phases.

For quickie "real" meals, I like to stir fry tofu with veggies. The sauce varies, but it begins with a mix of soy sauce + something sour (lemon juice or rice vinegar) + something sweet (sugar, brown sugar, or a sweet juice) + something spicy and maybe some ginger, coriander, cumin, black pepper. I saute some chopped onion first, add the other veggies and tofu and sauce, then eat this over brown rice or even ramen noodles.

Plain leftover brown rice becomes "fried rice" after a quick toss in the pan with some sauteed chopped veggies, scrambled eggs, soy sauce and spices. Last week I used curry-type spices instead of my usual Chinese-type spices; same nutritional outcome, but a different flavor, for variety.

Favorite "green salad" base is spinach; favorite protien additions to salad are kidney beans, garbanzo beans, chopped hard-boiled eggs, sunflower seeds, walnuts, or pecans. But not all at once. Craisins are great in salads too.

Sometimes I skip the greens and make a big "chopped salad" out of sweet red onion chopped very fine, plus a can each of garbanzos and kidney beans plus diced veggies like bell peppers (various colors) and celery and maybe cucumbers and/or fennel. The dressing for that one is basically olive oil + balsamic vinegar + S&P + basil. The advantage of skipping the lettuce is that it keeps in the fridge for a few days, and I can pack it into containers for lunches. Or I can serve it over a "bed" of lettuce greens for dinner if I like.

Finally, quesadillas are my default quickie-fill snack - a grilled cheese sandwich on 2 tortillas - just one bump up from the too-tired-to-cook bowl of cereal for "dinner".

Dang, get an Italian girl talking about food and look what happens! So... what are YOUR favorites?

2005-06-24 12:56 PM

User image

Houston
Wow that all sounds sooooo yummy. Im ready for lunch! I guess I must confess Im not really a "true" vegetarian as I also eat fish (mostly when we are out with friends and there aren't really any veggie entrees on the menu! and...I love fish ) My favorite right now is veggie lasagna...chop up whatever veggies I have and put them in the tomato sauce and for the filling use ricotta, chopped steam broccoli, paremesan and whatever spices I feel like at the time. My fav veggies in it are bell peppers, yellow squash, and aspargus.
I also LOVE beans and lentils. I make lentil curry alot (veg broth, lentils, onion, carrots, potatos are whatever I have, plus curry powder, ginger, cumin, and cayenne pepper). I just let it cook for forever (sometimes in the slow cooker with yams) and then serve it over rice (my husband wont eat brown rice grrr) . It also rocks if you throw in a boiled egg.
2005-06-24 3:19 PM
in reply to: #183001

User image

Pro
Evanston,
mmm. now I'm hungry. haven't had lentils in a while - will try curry style. yum!

meanwhile, remembered another favorite muchie snack - fatty, but good: "Yummy Yammies," thinly sliced sweet potato fried in a little oil with salt and a pinch of sugar, cook 'em until they're a little burnt. People snap these up! You can dry 'em on a paper towel if they seem greasy.

i do the same thing with plaintains. but if they're fairly ripe, use thicker slices and no sugar.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vegetarian Tri-ers? Rss Feed