General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Zen and the art of bicycle maintenance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-21 4:53 PM

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Subject: Zen and the art of bicycle maintenance
I have been very lucky with my bike, and have had zero maintenance issues since I bought it a year and a half ago even though it is a cheapie (don't care, it's my first bike and I'll love it forever).  But last week, I flatted in back after having ridden to work. Although I carry a spare tube and CO2, I had never had occasion to change a flat, especially a back tire, so I had to have my husband pick me up on his way home from work.  This really pissed me off, because I saw it as basically my own ignorance gyping my out of a  nice ride home. Until recently, I almost always rode with at least one other person, and I guess my thinking was that someone else would do it for me, which is a stupid, helpless thing to think.  Which is very odd, because I am neither helpless nor stupid. This is my piece of equipment, I should know how to take care of it and keep myself from being stranded. So I told the hubs we were having 'Tire Changing 101' as soon as we got home.  Well, I learned that it is a very empowering feeling to know that you can change your own tire, and I wanted to put a word out to the ladies that they should learn how to do this immediately.  It's not at all difficult, but it's also not intuitive, so do yourselves a favor - get someone to show you how to do this.  You'll be glad you did.

Edited by Tania 2005-06-21 4:54 PM

2005-06-21 5:00 PM
in reply to: #180286

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: RE: Zen and the art of bicycle maintenance

So here's my dumb question of the day. I went to a bike maintenance "clinic" at the LBS and they showed us how to change a flat, etc. Personally, I'm more of a learn by doing rather than watching kinda guy. So do you just randomly practice on your own bike at home? Or is that bad for the tube, etc.? I'd rather know that I know how to change a flat than think I know and get caught wondering what the heck I'm supposed to do 20 miles from home. Thoughts?

I did learn, though, that it can take more than 1 CO2 cartridge to inflate a tire, which I thought was weird, but whatever.

2005-06-21 5:06 PM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Good for you Tania. At my house I'm alpha cyclist so even if I didn't know how to change a tire (or whatever) I would never admit it. My dad was the old school sort who if I asked him to change my bike tire would stare at me and say "Don't you damn kids know how to change a tire these days?!" and bark instructions at me while I fixed it myself. I know how to change my oil and all kinds of useful things from this boot camp form of parenting. I read Zinn & the Art when I get totally baffled. And once in a while I let the guys at Hall's have a look.
2005-06-21 5:29 PM
in reply to: #180296

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Gwozdzilla 2005-06-21 5:30 PM
2005-06-21 7:11 PM

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

When I got my very first flat I had been 'lucky' enough to watch someone else fix one a few months before.  I still didn't feel like sitting on the side of the road doing it, especially since it was about to get dark.  I was only a mile from home so I called for a lift.  Once in the comfort of my living room I spent what I seem to recall was a LOOOOOOOOONG time fixing my poor little flat tire.

That remained the only flat I had ever changed for probably about two years.  That was until I have flatted THREE times in the last month.  Hmph.  My flat tire karma got up and left.  That first one after the two year hiatus took an hour.  Mostly because I tried to patch it first among other issues.  The third one was today and I changed it in under 10 minutes.  Would have been faster but the darn tire wouldn't get back on the wheel...hey, you win some you lose some!

So, YES--PRATICE!  You shouldn't cause any damage to the tube unless you pork it up by pulling on the tube and stretching it out, or pinching it between the tire and the rim or something else.  But wouldn't you rather pork it up in the comfort of your living room than when you are out on the road and have just messed up your only spare tube and become a dreaded DNF?

My point exactly

2005-06-21 7:40 PM

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
My first flat occured in my first race about 2 weeks after I bought my bike. A girl had a pretty bad crash in front of me and when I pulled over to check on her I saw my tire was flat. I stayed with her and gave her water while she waited for help and attempted to change my tire. She tried to coach me through it and when they finally picked her up, I was almost done. I got the tire changed but couldn't get it back on the bike and had to hitch a ride back. The girl didn't break anything but she did have a concussion and lots of road rash, I only suffered injured pride. I can now change a tire pretty good and seem to be doing it too much this month.

manatee express

2005-06-22 10:09 AM

Master
Shreveport, LA
Zinn and the Art of Road Bike maintenance is one of the best books to own as cyclist. (IMHO)

It goes step by step through a lot of the basic and some of the not so basic maintenance issues. It has a great troubleshooting guide in the back and it list the difficulty and tools required for each task.

I actually learned a lot about how my bike works when I read this book. It is a must for anyone who rides and wants to keep their bike in good shape.

I had to learn early to change flats and fix things on the road. My bike came out of the box with a flat. It took me ~40 minutes to change, but once I learned how to I definitely didn't forget. 3-5 flats later and I can change a tube in about 2-4 minutes.

So go out and by this book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1884737706/qid=111945...

(There is a new version coming out in November, but I wouldn't wait too long).

While you are at it, go ahead and buy these books to get free shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1931382425/qid=111945...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1931009074/qid=111945...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Zen and the art of bicycle maintenance Rss Feed