General Discussion Triathlon Talk » V02 Max Test Results - now what ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-22 7:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
Subject: V02 Max Test Results - now what ?
I had my V02 Max tested last night by a guy who is trying to get a side business up and running, so I was a happy to take up the free offer.

Since I have never done this before and know very little about the test, I was hoping someone could fill me in.

The test was done while I was riding and I had this oxygen mask on my face and I had to breath into it. There was a tube that was connected to the mask and fed into a machine called " the Cardio Coach".

After a brief warmup, I started pedaling and had to maintain 100 watts ....after a short period of time, we bumped it up in 25 watt increments and repeated this over and over until I could no longer maintain the power ( which in this case turned out to be 350).

Afterwards, I was given a printout of the results, which basically confirmed to me that I am already training in the rigght HR zones.

What I don't understand, is what they actually mean ...the science behind the #'s.

I am posting them here and hope to hear some feedback from those that actually understand this.

Side note: going into the test, I was told to be fully rested, so I didn't mention that I had completed an OLY only 2 days prior, so my legs weren't 100%.

My stats:

Weight: 194
Height: 6'-0"
BMI: 26.4

Cardio Strength:

---------------------------------------Start-------------AeT------------AT------------Peak

VO2( ml 02/kg/min)------------------9.5--------------52.5-----------56.2---------59.1
Heart Rate-----------------------------80---------------156------------164----------175
Calories per hour--------------------237--------------1300-----------1392---------1475
Fitness level:Superior

Recovery Heart Rate

Peak -> 175
1 minute->140 (37%)
2 Minute ->117(62%)

Thanks in advance!

John

2005-06-22 9:32 AM
in reply to: #180604

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: RE: V02 Max Test Results - now what ?

The person administering the test should have gone over the data with you and told you what it all means.  I would ask them about that.

Additionally, there are other pieces of data that are very useful that can be extrapolated from the respiratory quotient and I do not see that in the data you provided.  by looking at the RQ you can determine the amount of fatty acids to glycogen ratio you're burning at different heart rates, which is extremely helpful since it let's you know how much you need to work on your endurance.

finally, sure it would be great to be rested prior to a V02 max test but the #s don't lie.  YOU CAN'T CHEAT A V02 MAX TEST.  So they'll know if you hit your V02 max and you CAN hit your v02 max even after you're not rested.

Hell, I did my V02 max test a day after a century ride.

I know all this didn't answer your questions, but I would go back to your test administrator as they should know what the data the received means.  also, ask them to talk about other important results of the V02 max test, esp RQ.

2005-06-22 10:35 AM
in reply to: #180732

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
Subject: RE: V02 Max Test Results - now what ?
Thanks Steve ...we went over the results very briefly but the place where we conducted it was closing so we had to leave ....and I am meeting again shortly for other tests that he wants to do and to discuss all this ....but it will be at least a week from now and I was anxious for feedback, hence my post

and I will be sure to ask about RQ
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » V02 Max Test Results - now what ? Rss Feed