General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stress fracture in tibia or calf/soleus strain? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-04 9:07 PM

Veteran
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: Stress fracture in tibia or calf/soleus strain?

Would love to hear from one of our resident doctors on this if anyone's around.  Pretty please!

I've had 2 stress fractures in my right tibia, one in 2003, one in 2006.  I've got orthotics, a different pair after both times.  Each time the pain was totally different.  First time I couldn't bear weight at all.  I had run 18 miles the day before.  The second time it was just a nagging pain that wouldn't go away.

I've had some pain, mostly the day after my runs, for the last 2-3 weeks.  I don't run on consecutive days because of this.  I would feel slight discomfort after waking up and bearing weight first thing in the morning, but the shin would "warm up" so to speak and not bother me at all for the remainder of the day.  I wear running shoes all the time to have maximal support.

I ran 10 miles on Tuesday last week, then 4 or so on Thursday.  The shin started bothering me during the run on Thursday which was new, so I did a bit of a walk/run.  The next day and every day since last Friday, the shin seems to really bother me.  I can run my finger along the inner edge of the tibia and I find NO pointed pain spots.  None.  However, it's more the back of my shin/calf area (and possibly soleus) that is so tight.  I can best explain it sometimes as feeling a deep ache.  I have tried the one leg hop test and sometimes I can do 5 and sometimes just 1.  Regardless it's slightly uncomfortable.

Clearly I'm not going to run with this happening.  I just plan to pool run this week and until I can get in to see my ortho.

Any thoughts on not feeling any pointed pain along the inner side of the tibia (whereas I was able to feel this in the 2 prev stress fractures), and this deep ache that I sometimes feel in the calf/soleus area?  Does this sound like a stress fracture to you?

Thanks for your advice and input!

2011-05-05 3:40 PM
in reply to: #2767966

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Stress fracture in tibia or calf/soleus strain?

Sorry I can't give you any definative answer on this...but what I can tell you is to try the CHO-PAT shin wrap system.  Best $25 I have ever spent in dealing with shin splints, and a stress fracture!

Good luck

2011-05-05 9:17 PM
in reply to: #2767966

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Stress fracture in tibia or calf/soleus strain?
I hope you get an answer. I came into injuries because I am afraid that I currently have a stress fracture in my right Tibia. I have never had one before but from what I have been feeling and what I have been reading there is not much else it can be. I am going in to see my doctor early next week (hopefully on Monday) and going to get an xray to see if they can see it - hopefully otherwise it will be an MRI (according to my doc). I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see what happens with you though. Good Luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stress fracture in tibia or calf/soleus strain? Rss Feed