General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post-Tri Depression/Anxiety? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-22 8:05 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Subject: Post-Tri Depression/Anxiety?

Sherolyn77 - 2005-06-22 5:59 PM 2. After doing my sprint in 1:35:22, I was disappointed in myself- could have gone just a little faster (let's not mention that it was my first Tri ever!) 3. I'm completely depressed after my first tri "high" has come down, and it's an effort to get in a workout even though I'm doing an oly in 3 weeks

I pulled this quote out of the confessions thread (I hope that is okay).

I too just completed my first tri and after being "high" on my performance for a day and a half, I am now:

1. almost disappointed;
  2. incredible anxious about my next race;
  3. fearful that I will not meet my expectations (and expecting way too much of myself); and
  4. either pushing myself way too hard in training or lacking motivation to train (depends on the day).

What is this about?  Have others had similar experiences?

2005-06-22 9:06 PM
in reply to: #181335

User image

Regular
Pittsburgh, PA
Subject: RE: Post-Tri Depression/Anxiety?
I had *very* similar experiences after my first tri of this season. I got really depressed afterwards and just couldnt seem to cheer up.

I will say that while no one thing got me feeling good again, I just kept training, registered for a few more races, and just kept going. After a little while (and a couple of little treats to myself--food, easy training day, naps, etc) I got over it and felt good.

If you'd like to see some of the advice others gave me, you can see the thread here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2005-06-22 10:49 PM
in reply to: #181335

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Post-Tri Depression/Anxiety?

You may have felt that you could have gone faster/pushed more on the day, so you are feeling somewhat let down by your performance, or by how many people passed you, or whatever.

This is pretty common, cause you've worked and planned for this event, and then after it's over, it can be a letdown.  One thing that's helped me, is to focus on why I'm doing this in the first place (for fun, for fitness) and maybe just getting back to doing a workout cause that's what you want to do, no HR monitor, no goal for the workout, just going out and doing something cause you love to do it.  Does not even have to be swim/bike/run - maybe take one or two days (or even a week) off of I'm-training-for-a-tri-and-sick-of-it and just go out and be active.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post-Tri Depression/Anxiety? Rss Feed